04-28-2016 09:54 PM
306 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Thank you for replying.

The only reason why I would need GAPPS is to get the Market app installed. Without it, you can't install any apps.

Working with the .zip files, I would assume that you would need to use nandroid/CWR... How exactly can you use them temporarily? Are they simple to uninstall? (Sorry for asking uber-beginner questions)

The big thing that I would like to achieve is to use Jelly Bean right now, and then go back and use the official Verizon approved Jelly Bean ROM once they decide to release it. So, I guess I could always use nandroid/CWR (What's the main difference btw? The last time I did any rooting and ROM installing was with the OG Droid), and then completely wipe the phone with the official ROM when it's released.

Again, thank you so much for the help!
    07-21-2012 11:56 AM
    Thank you for replying.

The only reason why I would need GAPPS is to get the Market app installed. Without it, you can't install any apps.

Working with the .zip files, I would assume that you would need to use nandroid/CWR... How exactly can you use them temporarily? Are they simple to uninstall? (Sorry for asking uber-beginner questions)

The big thing that I would like to achieve is to use Jelly Bean right now, and then go back and use the official Verizon approved Jelly Bean ROM once they decide to release it. So, I guess I could always use nandroid/CWR (What's the main difference btw? The last time I did any rooting and ROM installing was with the OG Droid), and then completely wipe the phone with the official ROM when it's released.

Again, thank you so much for the help!
    No problem, it's my pleasure.

Yes, GAPPs includes the Play Store/Market APK. Without it, you cannot "signin" and you cannot use the market (b/c it doesn't exist).

A nandroid is a term used for backups--when you create a backup of your system, data, etc., that backup is a "nandroid." Some us, myself include it, also use it as a verb--to nandroid is to back up.

CWM is a custom recovery. Your stock recovery is very limited, and without a custom one, you cannot install ("flash") some packages. It also adds options that are effective tools for the rooter/flasher.

In using CWM or any custom recovery, you have two options--installing it (flashing it) or booting from it.

For example, to flash the recovery image, you'd use a fastboot command like this:

$ fastboot flash recovery recoveryimage.img
    However, if you wanted to simply boot from it--thus, not install it but still use it, you would do something like this:

$ fastboot boot recovery recoveryimage.img
    See the difference? You're telling fastboot that you want to boot the recovery image instead of installing it to the recovery "partition" or area.

So, if you want to be absolutely "stock"--meaning no custom recovery--you simply boot the recovery image with fastboot, install your zips (for instance, the otapackage.zip and the GAPPs zip), reboot your system, and you're left with a stock recovery and "stock" rom.

If you want to go back to stock, the quickest and most effective way would be to follow my factory images guide located in this very subforum. Basically, what you'd do is take the image files and flash them over with fastboot. If you want to take it ALL the way back, you can simply relock the device (this presumes you're unlocked, which you should be when "testing" stuff out for a variety of reasons).

I presume you're unlocked now, and if you're not, I'd do it, but be cautious--it will wipe everything including the "sdcard" folder. So back your stuff up . Unlocking allows you to flash unsigned packages and gives you a load of freedom when testing. I'm also 90% sure you need to be unlocked to flash a custom recovery, but that's only because I've never done one (flash a recovery) without the other. Perhaps someone will chime in with regards to that.
    slashsarc likes this.
    07-21-2012 12:04 PM
    I presume you're unlocked now, and if you're not, I'd do it, but be cautious--it will wipe everything including the "sdcard" folder. So back your stuff up . Unlocking allows you to flash unsigned packages and gives you a load of freedom when testing. I'm also 90% sure you need to be unlocked to flash a custom recovery, but that's only because I've never done one (flash a recovery) without the other. Perhaps someone will chime in with regards to that.
    You are correct. Being locked prevents you from using a custom recovery. You cannot even boot to a custom recovery without unlocking.

As far as backup before unlocking, I have been playing around with the instructions from here:
    [GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers

I have not had a whole lot of success with it, though. The process seems to stop prematurely rather easily with no indication of whether or not it actually finished.
    slashsarc likes this.
    07-21-2012 10:04 PM
    What follows is a series of head scratching errors that all the Googling in the world hasn't helped me with:

find: `src': No such file or directory...
    I was able to fix the second part of this error thanks to the guide, but I'm still getting the find: 'src' and "PRODUCT_COPY_FILES *** ignored." errors. I stopped it to look and wasn't too concerned because it looked like most of the ignored files were ringtones (I use my own, so no big deal) but then I noticed this line:

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES frameworks/native/data/etc/android.hardware.telephony.cdma.xml:system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.telephony.cdma.xml ignored.

Which seems like it would, without a doubt, result in a nonworking build. At the very least, a build that couldn't get a signal.

Any advice?

[Edit: Well, I finished the build and flashed it... and it works fine! Though the version number is 4.0.9.99.999.9999.99999 for some reason. Sigh.]
    07-22-2012 10:04 AM
    Thank you dmmarck for explaining the bootloader setup, and thank you plasmoidia for showing the backup commands.

See the difference? You're telling fastboot that you want to boot the recovery image instead of installing it to the recovery "partition" or area.
    In the command you pasted in, where is the recoveryimage.img stored? Is that stored on the device, or locally on the system? (I would assume adb would take the local .img file and send it to the phone to run.) Can you easily download the CWR recovery image without installing it?

I still haven't unlocked my phone yet. Honestly, I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to go through with this just yet, especially since I read some articles about all other GN's getting JB within the next month or two. However, you have convinced me that CWR is the way to go, since it does make it much easier to do this.

I was able to successfully build JB from AOSP, but, unfortunately, I was unable to run it in the Android device emulator.

The primary reason why I'm on the fence is that this is my primary phone, and I *need* the phone to be stable and work 100%. I don't really want to take a chance and screw it up, especially since this would be first time I would build it from source. Has anyone tried this had any missing features? Does the camera, wifi, and all other features work fine?

Thanks.
    07-22-2012 02:11 PM
    I was able to fix the second part of this error thanks to the guide, but I'm still getting the find: 'src' and "PRODUCT_COPY_FILES *** ignored." errors. I stopped it to look and wasn't too concerned because it looked like most of the ignored files were ringtones (I use my own, so no big deal) but then I noticed this line:

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES frameworks/native/data/etc/android.hardware.telephony.cdma.xml:system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.telephony.cdma.xml ignored.

Which seems like it would, without a doubt, result in a nonworking build. At the very least, a build that couldn't get a signal.

Any advice?

[Edit: Well, I finished the build and flashed it... and it works fine! Though the version number is 4.0.9.99.999.9999.99999 for some reason. Sigh.]
    It appears you synced with the master and not the specific branch. That correct?

Thank you dmmarck for explaining the bootloader setup, and thank you plasmoidia for showing the backup commands.

In the command you pasted in, where is the recoveryimage.img stored? Is that stored on the device, or locally on the system? (I would assume adb would take the local .img file and send it to the phone to run.) Can you easily download the CWR recovery image without installing it?

I still haven't unlocked my phone yet. Honestly, I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want to go through with this just yet, especially since I read some articles about all other GN's getting JB within the next month or two. However, you have convinced me that CWR is the way to go, since it does make it much easier to do this.

I was able to successfully build JB from AOSP, but, unfortunately, I was unable to run it in the Android device emulator.

The primary reason why I'm on the fence is that this is my primary phone, and I *need* the phone to be stable and work 100%. I don't really want to take a chance and screw it up, especially since this would be first time I would build it from source. Has anyone tried this had any missing features? Does the camera, wifi, and all other features work fine?

Thanks.
    You place the image on your computer and use the cd command (change directory) to go to the folder.

Or, if you're on Ubuntu, simply drag and drop the file into the terminal after typing in the beginning of the command.

I will respond at length later once I'm at a computer .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    07-22-2012 02:34 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to put together a tutorial--nice work.

I'm working on a similar build of CM10 for toro. What are you doing for the camera, gps, and nfc binaries since google cannot provide them?
    07-24-2012 06:44 AM
    dmmarck my friend... Guide worked great. Had to go off the map to get Java installed but that seems to be a given for many.. Otherwise everything else is spot on !

FWIW, Total build time... 69 minutes

I'll just leave this here...

2defmouze and dmmarck like this.
    07-24-2012 08:08 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to put together a tutorial--nice work.

I'm working on a similar build of CM10 for toro. What are you doing for the camera, gps, and nfc binaries since google cannot provide them?
    Honestly, I presume they're ready to rock with cm10. I had an issue just syncing with them so I put that project off.

07-24-2012 08:10 AM
    Honestly, I presume they're ready to rock with cm10. I had an issue just syncing with them so I put that project off.

Nope, not ready yet; although I'm sure they'll get to it before long.

Until then, I'm trying to figure out the camera, gps, and nfc binaries. Did you pull these from a 4.0.4 toro?
    07-24-2012 08:18 AM
    Nope, not ready yet; although I'm sure they'll get to it before long.

Until then, I'm trying to figure out the camera, gps, and nfc binaries. Did you pull these from a 4.0.4 toro?
    I would check out working roms and see what they did .

My last bugs for my rom were those, but others had figured it out. That's the best thing I could "prescribe" sotospeak.
    07-24-2012 08:20 AM
    Awesome tut!!!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Android Central Forums
    07-24-2012 12:04 PM
    07-25-2012 04:32 PM
    Open up the file the path is showing? Replace?
    07-25-2012 04:39 PM
    i figured as much... but i guess my problem was just trying to find the right file. It wasnt obvious where the file was located. but i searched for it, found it, made the change and now I am compiling.

If you are getting an error on compile on Ubuntu 12.04
    [out/host/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/guavalib_intermediates/javalib.jar] Error 41
    I dont know if this helps anyone else but you need to change the lines (starting at line number 227) in the file located
    /proc/3175/cwd/external/guava/guava/src/com/google/common/collect/Maps.java
    original

public static <C, K extends C, V> TreeMap<K, V> newTreeMap(
    @Nullable Comparator<C> comparator) {

with this
    modified

public static <K, V> TreeMap<K, V> newTreeMap(
    @Nullable Comparator<? super K> comparator) {
    dmmarck likes this.
    07-25-2012 06:00 PM
    Hello!

First off, thank you for this great guide!

I've been able to compile AOSP JB for my GNex from source and install it. Everything works except the camera and gtalk (fc's).

The system I am compiling on is running Ubuntu 10.04, i've started over quite a few times now using this guide, and the result is the same.

Before I started compiling JB I was able to compile AOSP ICS from souce and installed on my GNex without any problems at all.

I have re-downloaded the drivers from google and still in the end I get the same result, is there something else that I am missing?
    07-26-2012 09:40 AM
    Hello!

First off, thank you for this great guide!

I've been able to compile AOSP JB for my GNex from source and install it. Everything works except the camera and gtalk (fc's).

The system I am compiling on is running Ubuntu 10.04, i've started over quite a few times now using this guide, and the result is the same.

Before I started compiling JB I was able to compile AOSP ICS from souce and installed on my GNex without any problems at all.

I have re-downloaded the drivers from google and still in the end I get the same result, is there something else that I am missing?
    Nope--those are the two issues that everyone runs into. I suggest checking out working roms--for example, Bugless Beast--to see how they get that stuff working. I presume there are a few files missing in our "stock" AOSP roms that they have (probably taken from ICS) in order to fill in the gaps.
    07-26-2012 09:42 AM
    Nope--those are the two issues that everyone runs into. I suggest checking out working roms--for example, Bugless Beast--to see how they get that stuff working. I presume there are a few files missing in our "stock" AOSP roms that they have (probably taken from ICS) in order to fill in the gaps.
    Thank you for the responce!

I did read something last night on the google forums somewhere that they were suggesting that you would take 3 files from an ICS build and put them into your JM build, it was:

- /vendor/etc/sirfgps.conf
    - /vendor/lib/hw/gps.omap4.so
    - /vendor/firmware/ducati-m3..bin

I have another pc that I used to build ICS on and had extracted the files from my GNex before flashing it per the ICS AOSP build guide, however two of those files are for the GPS, which for me in JB, I do not have any GPS problems.

The other problem is that I do not have the directorys on my JB pc as I do on my ICS pc, so I am kinda lost on that front. Any ideas?

Thanks again
    07-26-2012 09:50 AM
    Google cannot distribute the GPS, NFC, and camera binaries for toro due to licensing issues.

It's strange that you say your GPS is working if you haven't acquired those binaries elsewhere. Have you verified this with GPS status or perhaps disabling wifi and checking to see if gmaps can find you?

From what I understand, you can get the camera and NFC binaries from a maguro 4.1 image, but the GPS binary must come from a ICS toro.
    07-26-2012 09:53 AM
    Google cannot distribute the GPS, NFC, and camera binaries for toro due to licensing issues.

It's strange that you say your GPS is working if you haven't acquired those binaries elsewhere. Have you verified this with GPS status or perhaps disabling wifi and checking to see if gmaps can find you?

From what I understand, you can get the camera and NFC binaries from a maguro 4.1 image, but the GPS binary must come from a ICS toro.
    I did check and gmaps is able to find me without wifi enabled, however the gps icon I am used to seeing at the top does not show up(maybe a bug?)

I know that the Vicious-JB-4.1.1-V1 rom worked perfectly, I didn't run into any issues like this, would I be able to grab the binaries from that and use them to compile mine? I am assuming I would have to re-compile after doing this.

Thanks
    07-26-2012 10:04 AM
    Good Morning,

You guys were right, the gps drivers are not there in the AOSP for JB either.. I tried a couple of different apps to test the gps and it was a no go.

So i'm starting to get the impression that asking how one would get older drivers to work with an AOSP JB build is not something you do(some legal issue?), am I mistaken? I've been trying to get a better understanding on how to do this, trolling through forums and it just seems like there is nothing on how you could do this.

I have limited experience, but more than willing to learn, the only thing I have seen is "take the drivers you need from ICS". What I would like to figure out is I have the drivers (taken from my phone running ICS before I put JB on it using extract-files.sh) The drivers have to be copied to somethere, but then isn't there something else besides compiling you need to do?

I would appreciate any direction on this.
    07-27-2012 07:01 AM
    Good Morning,

You guys were right, the gps drivers are not there in the AOSP for JB either.. I tried a couple of different apps to test the gps and it was a no go.

So i'm starting to get the impression that asking how one would get older drivers to work with an AOSP JB build is not something you do(some legal issue?), am I mistaken? I've been trying to get a better understanding on how to do this, trolling through forums and it just seems like there is nothing on how you could do this.

I have limited experience, but more than willing to learn, the only thing I have seen is "take the drivers you need from ICS". What I would like to figure out is I have the drivers (taken from my phone running ICS before I put JB on it using extract-files.sh) The drivers have to be copied to somethere, but then isn't there something else besides compiling you need to do?

I would appreciate any direction on this.
    I was in the same boat last week. Here's what I did (roughly -- I don't have my build machine in front of me right now). Hope it helps.

I performed a full build and then wrote a script that checks each blob listed under device/samsung/toro/proprietary-blobs.txt with what was output by the build under system/out. That identified six missing files:
    Code:
    /system/app/CellBroadcastReceiver.apk
    /system/bin/fRom
    /system/vendor/etc/sirfgps.conf
    /system/vendor/firmware/ducati-m3.bin
    /system/vendor/firmware/libpn544_fw.so
    /system/vendor/lib/hw/gps.omap4.so
    Then the hunt began for these files... it's up to you to find them.

CellBroadcastReceiver.apk: I haven't had a chance to look into this one, so it's still missing. However, it is also missing from the other toro ROMs I've seen. My build seems to run fine without it.
    fRom: is present under vendor/samsung/toro/proprietary/ but was being copied to the wrong location by the Android.mk file, so I corrected that.
    sirfgps.conf: GPS. Get from toro 4.0.4 ROM.
    ducati-m3.bin: Camera. Get from maguro 4.1 ROM.
    libpn544_fw.so: NFC. Get from maguro 4.1 ROM.
    gps.omap4.so: GPS. Get from toro 4.0.4 ROM.

Once you find the blobs you will need to create makefiles for them. Luckily, AOSP contains the skeleton makefiles for these under device/samsung/toro/self-extractors/. Create the necessary directories under vendor/ and copy these makefiles there along with blobs. I believe one of the makefiles under vendor/samsung/toro already looks for these makefiles and includes them if present.

Once you have everything setup it's time to make clobber and run another build. Re-check the files listed in proprietary-blobs.txt and ensure you have at least the 5/6 that I mentioned. If you're satisfied with the results, try flashing it.

Good luck.
    dmmarck likes this.
    07-27-2012 07:25 AM
    I was in the same boat last week. Here's what I did (roughly -- I don't have my build machine in front of me right now). Hope it helps.

I performed a full build and then wrote a script that checks each blob listed under device/samsung/toro/proprietary-blobs.txt with what was output by the build under system/out. That identified six missing files:
    Code:
    /system/bin/fRom

CellBroadcastReceiver.apk: I haven't had a chance to look into this one, so it's still missing. However, it is also missing from the other toro ROMs I've seen. My build seems to run fine without it.
    fRom: is present under vendor/samsung/toro/proprietary/ but was being copied to the wrong location by the Android.mk file, so I corrected that.

Once you find the blobs you will need to create makefiles for them. Luckily, AOSP contains the skeleton makefiles for these under device/samsung/toro/self-extractors/. Create the necessary directories under vendor/ and copy these makefiles there along with blobs. I believe one of the makefiles under vendor/samsung/toro already looks for these makefiles and includes them if present.

Once you have everything setup it's time to make clobber and run another build. Re-check the files listed in proprietary-blobs.txt and ensure you have at least the 5/6 that I mentioned. If you're satisfied with the results, try flashing it.

Good luck.
    Could you not transfer those over to the end product in the system/lib and other areas?

Great work BTW, thank you . It saves a lot of time--I was preparing to compare roms back to back to see what is what.
    07-27-2012 08:47 AM

Code:
    /system/bin/fRom

Good luck.
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU! It took me a while to find all the files and the right versions, but I am finally building from source now and hopefully within the next hour or so I will find out if I did it correctly.

This is really interesting stuff,can't wait to learn more...

Thanks again!
    dmmarck likes this.
    07-27-2012 01:15 PM
    Just an update, IT WORKS!!! Okay, so I got all excited and so far have only tested the camera, which now works! But in all my excitement forgot one little detail,, GAPPS, so is using Kejar gapps good for a stock AOSP build, or should I get the latest one from goo.im?
    07-27-2012 02:31 PM
306 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD