[ROM][4.1.1][AOSP] Codename Android 3.0.0 [JB][07/31/2012]

stacman.nexus

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm a programmer. Most of us hardly ever write code from scratch. Good programmers are lazy. They take something that already works and spend their time making it better or simply making it suite their needs. If it's open, it's fair game. When we do actually write something useful from scratch, very few people in the world know about it.

Think of all of the nameless devs who built Linux or Android. You don't hear them crying about it. Look at Peppermint. It's based on Lubuntu which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. Each distro is spun a little different and the devs do a lot of coding to make it all work and they freely share their code. No one is crying about it. I always say, "There's no crying in Open Source."

Well said. My feelings exactly.

The end result for me is that CM is nothing to write home about by itself. The better ROMs come from other devs tweaking the source code and adding their own to make it better. Programmers aren't about to reinvent the wheel everytime they develop something new. Take what is there (especially when it's open source) and make it yours. I've run quite a few ROMs now, and I flashed Codename 3.1 a few days ago (CM lasted about 1 hour on my phone) and it's one of the cleanest running ROMs yet, and I'm still running it...

Credits??? Thanks CM for the source code you freely made free. Just don't cry about it now...

migespy

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I thought Themes for AOKP/CM would work for this but I could be wrong.

That's what I though as well; however, every site i have visited has placed separate links for AOKP, CM, and CNA, so it made me think that they don't. Also some themes say they are for the older CNA 1 & 2 so I am not sure if they will run with CNA 3. Thoughts?

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The end result for me is that CM is nothing to write home about by itself. The better ROMs come from other devs tweaking the source code and adding their own to make it better. Programmers aren't about to reinvent the wheel everytime they develop something new. Take what is there (especially when it's open source) and make it yours. I've run quite a few ROMs now, and I flashed Codename 3.1 a few days ago (CM lasted about 1 hour on my phone) and it's one of the cleanest running ROMs yet, and I'm still running it...

Credits??? Thanks CM for the source code you freely made free. Just don't cry about it now...

Yeah...and none of it would be possible if it wasn't for AOSP, I don't think I've ever seen devs giving credit to the real authors...lol

Anyways CNA is good stuff and so was his work back in the good ol OG Droid days so I don't care about the BS just good stable highly customizable ROMs!!! :p

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

No doubt. However, the problem where that breaks down is not tweaking it and all that--this guy, when this debacle went down--didn't change a thing except the name and was taking credit for it. It's not about CM crying, it's about someone literally passing off what they did--to the exact detail--and acting like proper, human adults should do that.

stacman.nexus

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
No doubt. However, the problem where that breaks down is not tweaking it and all that--this guy, when this debacle went down--didn't change a thing except the name and was taking credit for it. It's not about CM crying, it's about someone literally passing off what they did--to the exact detail--and acting like proper, human adults should do that.

I have to say that I wasn't following it back then, and the circumstances are a little different than I thought. I have no issues with someone using open source code, and rearranging/tweaking, and releasing in their own name, but if as you described that's altogether different. It must have been an earlier version because I didn't see anything from AOSP/AOKP that was even close to as customizable as 3.1.

Oh well, I'm off to try Paranoid Android...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that I wasn't following it back then, and the circumstances are a little different than I thought. I have no issues with someone using open source code, and rearranging/tweaking, and releasing in their own name, but if as you described that's altogether different. It must have been an earlier version because I didn't see anything from AOSP/AOKP that was even close to as customizable as 3.1.

Check the links/search prompt. This really has nothing to do with the CNA rom--although that had its own bag of drama (notably him challenging everyone he kanged from on Twitter, which is at once childish, immature, and terrible for the community).

What was done before is essentially what you or I could do. I could down CM10, change the build prop, and call it my own work.

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

So how does Paranoid stack up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

stacman.nexus

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
So how does Paranoid stack up?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I haven't flashed it yet. I figured it would keep me occupied at the office tomorrow. Besides, I was expecting some calls I couldn't miss, and I understand that configuring this ROM is an undertaking in itself.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Flashed CNA 3.2 and CNA gapps. Auto restored all of my apps, everything works and tons of goodies inside. Perfect.

Last edited:

stacman.nexus

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Yep! I guess he figured "Screw you Rootz" and decided to host his own forum and downloads.

Rootz is where I was looking and didn't find anything except for the closed thread.

I'm liking CNA more and more because of the features and tweaks. These pack an awful lot in there to play with. I get bored with the barebones ROMs, and there are plenty of those.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
This rom is the beez neez!! I've tried a lot over the last week...stayed away due to dev shennanigans or whatever. Guess I'm glad I did as I may not have bothered to try so many others if I had this from the getgo. For me...this is the best rom available. Stolen or whatever...this guy knows what he's doing. Packaged them up to be better.

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Been on 3.2.0 for a few days now. Agreed it runs great and has all the features I want! He got lots of stuff from other developers and gave credit, but he packages stuff so well. I do not get the bugs or borked stuff in his ROMs wheras some of the original ROMs he got features from may actually have bugs running these things!

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I will get around to updating the thread with current info on where to find the ROM and his info off the site on the 3.2.0 build tonight. Been a busy week. I am sure there are others out there who are interested in keeping up with and following this one :)
3.3.0 is up dude. (W/ updated Gaaps)!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty