Samsung event in NY on 8/29 for SGS II

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung said the GS2 was coming in August. The event is the 29th and the roadmap are pretty much all we've got.

Unfortunately, that doesn't give us any specific info, and other SGSIIs are further along in the release process than ours. Things can always change, but like I have been saying, we have absolutely no info that it's the stratosphere and releasing on the 8th except CK's creditless site.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
First JDM4292 - going from 3g to 4g doesn't remove your grandfathering. That's been reported for a while now. The freakout was from a while back. It's settled.

CK - can you give a quick rundown of what the rumors are that lead to the 09/08 release date speculation? I read the forums but I did not get the impression that there was a lot leaning towards an early September release (which I would welcome).

I know the leaked VZW launch timeline with Stratosphere, but there's more I'm guessing?

Although I'm not CK, I'll try. ;)

1. Rumor that Verizon will be the first to get the GSII. Leaked document showing release of T-Mobile's variant shows an October release. Other leaks suggest Sprint is getting there's in September. If you believe that Verizon will be first, that'll mean September.

2. Leaked roadmap indicates a device called the Stratosphere by Samsung being released on 9/8. While there has been little to no information on the GSII for Verizon, the same could be said for whatever the "Stratosphere" is. As hard as it is to keep one phone under wraps, it's darn near impossible to keep two phones under wraps with little to no information. That might suggest that they are one in the same rather than two separate devices.

3. Further, the 9/8 release date falls in nicely with the Samsung event on 8/29. Last year, the first Galaxy S phone was released within 2 weeks of Samsung's Galaxy S event. It is assumed that the same would be true for the Galaxy S II line.

4. Android Authority put out an article about the release dates of the GSII and Bionic coinciding. CK challenged the author of the article via email stating that there's been no information that the GSII is in fact the Stratosphere, so it would be a leap to then conclude that the GSII and Bionic were getting released on the same day. CK received an email response indicating that they had information that the Stratosphere was in fact the GSII variant for Verizon.

http://www.androidauthority.com/dro...ame-release-date-same-selling-features-21050/

5. Samsung CEO stated that the GSII will be released in August in the US. Well, I think most people think that won't happen. But, an early September release would be "close enough".

There may be more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head. But, the biggest thing is that there's not one single rumor, it's more a combination of many things that indicate an early September release of the GSII variant on Verizon.

The troublesome parts are the fact that has been little to no information on the GSII. But, that's pretty much true for any GSII release on any of the major US carriers. There have been FCC sightings for Sprint and AT&T of GSII variants for those carriers. However, there's still time for that to happen with a Verizon variant and be released on 9/8.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
First JDM4292 - going from 3g to 4g doesn't remove your grandfathering. That's been reported for a while now. The freakout was from a while back. It's settled.

CK - can you give a quick rundown of what the rumors are that lead to the 09/08 release date speculation? I read the forums but I did not get the impression that there was a lot leaning towards an early September release (which I would welcome).

I know the leaked VZW launch timeline with Stratosphere, but there's more I'm guessing?

August 29th Event announces handset
Verizon will be first to get handset (rumor)
Stratosphere is in FACT Galaxy SII variant (rumor/Android Authority)
Stratopsphere is GSII (rumor/source)
GSII is LTE (source)
Leaked timeline w/ unknown Samsung handset (Stratosphere)

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Did they specifically say for VZW that it was coming in August? or just to the US in general?

The US. We've seen a leaked document that puts T-Mobile's in October. And there's rumor that Sprint will get there's in September. That leaves Verizon and AT&T. I don't think either will make it to August now, but early September wouldn't be bad. :)

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
August 29th Event announces handset
Verizon will be first to get handset (rumor)
Stratosphere is in FACT Galaxy SII variant (rumor/Android Authority)
Stratopsphere is GSII (rumor/source)
GSII is LTE (source)
Leaked timeline w/ unknown Samsung handset (Stratosphere)

Sent from my Droid

ok now I see where you are coming from.

Reactions: Castor Troy

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The US. We've seen a leaked document that puts T-Mobile's in October. And there's rumor that Sprint will get there's in September. That leaves Verizon and AT&T. I don't think either will make it to August now, but early September wouldn't be bad. :)

VZW out in the cold like usual. :-\

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Aug 29th cant come soon enough.....this article is claiming it is called "Pluto" for VZWSamsung Celox (Galaxy S2 Plus) image surfaces online

Counting the days ...

There is a "Plato" listed on the leaked roadmap, but with a release schedule of January. If the GSII doesn't come out until January, Verizon and Samsung will miss a great opportunity and it will not be my next phone.

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Counting the days ...

There is a "Plato" listed on the leaked roadmap, but with a release schedule of January. If the GSII doesn't come out until January, Verizon and Samsung will miss a great opportunity and it will not be my next phone.

Agreed. I will not wait any longer than an October release.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for following up. It's a good summary of the rumors speculating on the early Sept release date.

Really hoping that's the case, even if so far it's pieced together.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
In case anyone missed it like Dolfan said I contacted Android Authority and challenged the veracity of their info on it being revealed that the Stratosphere is a GSII variant. The editor promptly responded that the info was in fact correct and their source(s) stated that the handset is in fact a GSII variant.

Not that that means anything more and makes it indeed correct but the article was in fact challenged. So that's where we are, between somewhere and nowhere.

Sent from my Droid

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone missed it like Dolfan said I contacted Android Authority and challenged the veracity of their info on it being revealed that the Stratosphere is a GSII variant. The editor promptly responded that the info was in fact correct and their source(s) stated that the handset is in fact a GSII variant.

Not that that means anything more and makes it indeed correct but the article was in fact challenged. So that's where we are, between somewhere and nowhere.

Sent from my Droid

Is that something like "wearenowhere" where some people read as "we are now here" and others may read as "we are nowhere"? ;)

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
What worries me is that Verizon doesn't get the SGSII or the Nexus 3/Prime. I pray that doesn't happen but......it's Verizon. I hope they get both.

Verizon is definitely getting the SGSII in some shape/form/fashion. Can't say anything about the Prime, but I think Verizon will pick it up. If all of these phone rumors pan out to be true, Verizon is going to have one hell of a Q4 line-up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty