4.5 inches.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The thought of having a Nexus on Verizon is a dream come true, but 4.5"? Where are they getting their market data that this is the size people want. Anything larger than 4" (phone!) looks a little dorky in my hands and isn't pocketable. Am I alone here?

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
As I see it there are two situations.

1: There are no capacitive buttons. This is the ideal situation because a 4.5 inch screen would mean that the bottom bezel could shrink considerably and the overall size would be similar to the 4.3 inch phones out on the market today.

2. There are capacitve buttons and we're looking at a infuse look a like.

As an evo owner I'm okay with situation 1. I'm not okay with situation 2.

This illustration shows what im talking about in situation 1. (from the nexus prime thread)
EvoNexus.jpg

Last edited:

clarkkent434

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

1: There are no capacitive buttons. This is the ideal situation because a 4.5 inch screen would mean that the bottom bezel could shrink considerably and the overall size would be similar to the 4.3 inch phones out on the market today.

This illustration shows what im talking about in situation 1. (from the nexus prime thread)
EvoNexus.jpg

I agree with you. I think that the Nexus Prime without capacitive button will look like more of a 4.3 when the touchscreen is on and showing the touchscreen Android buttons. I think once people see the Nexus Prime without the capacitve buttons they will realize that 4.5 is the next standard on 4.3 inch screen.

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you. I think that the Nexus Prime without capacitive button will look like more of a 4.3 when the touchscreen is on and showing the touchscreen Android buttons. I think once people see the Nexus Prime without the capacitve buttons they will realize that 4.5 is the next standard on 4.3 inch screen.

That's assuming that the Nexus prime doesn't have the capacitive buttons.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
That's assuming that the Nexus prime doesn't have the capacitive buttons.

Do to ICS being a UI that doesn't need the buttons ( they will on the screen like HC.) Rumor has it that it will not have Capacitive buttons. So with that being the case it is possible to have a 4.5 inch screen but still keep the 4.3 inch casing. IMO I would go as big as 5" depending on the overall size and thickness..

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
The thought of having a Nexus on Verizon is a dream come true, but 4.5"? Where are they getting their market data that this is the size people want. Anything larger than 4" (phone!) looks a little dorky in my hands and isn't pocketable. Am I alone here?

If the screen size is just larger bit still the same overall size of my x I got no problem. The x has wasted screen space anyway for the Verizon logo.

sent by CyanogenMod X

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
KittenMittens did a similar analysis in the Nexus Prime thread a while back, also coming to the conclusion that a 4.6" screen could fit within the same physical dimensions as current 4.3" devices:

For the people that are having a hard time grasping a 4.6 inch screen on a phone, I decided to cut out a piece of paper to the exact dimensions of this display, and place it over my Thunderbolt to show how small of a difference it actually is.

There are lots of calculators online that can calculate the exact dimensions of a screen for you, I use this one...

DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator

You can't calculate length and width of a display with just the diagonal length unless you have the aspect ratio or resolution, fortunately we know that this display will mostly likely be 720p (or 720 wide by 1280 tall - in portrait mode that is), so we can easily calculate the exact dimensions of the screen. The cool thing about these calculators too is that if you know the diagonal length and the resolution you can also calculate the pixel density.

Also it's worth mentioning that when comparing displays on two different phones, even when the diagonal length is the same, if they have don't have the same aspect ratio they will have different dimensions, for example the Droid X and Droid X2 (both 4.3 inch) are 16:9 since the resolution is 480 x 854 (Droid X), and 540 x 960 (Droid X2), so those two displays have the same exact dimensions however the Thunderbolt, which is also 4.3 inch, is 5:3 (15:9 if you do the math) since the resolution is 480 x 800, meaning that when you compare the Droid X or X2 with the Thunderbolt you'll notice the display on the Droid X / X2 is actually a bit skinnier and longer (more rectangular) where as the Thunderbolt is a little bit wider and shorter (more square), although the difference isn't as dramatic as it sounds.

So, using the calculator we can find the exact dimensions of the Thunderbolt's display and compare it to the dimensions of the rumored Nexus Prime's display...

Thunderbolt - 4.3 inch, 480 x 800 = 2.21" (W) ?— 3.69" (H) - with 216.97 ppi

Nexus Prime - 4.6 inch, 720 x 1280 = 2.26" (W) ?— 4.01" (H) - with 319.26 ppi

So as you can see the difference in length (vertically in portrait) is about .32 inches (4.01 - 3.69) , and the difference in width (horizontally in portrait) is a mere .05 inches (2.26 - 2.21).

Here are the pictures...

With the first picture, I merged two photos with both screens aligned at the top left corner to show the difference in length and width of the screens...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/nexus-prime/13973d1314207152-4-5-inches-2hq8baq.jpg

Here I centered the paper more around the bezel to show how much room they could have and still keep the same form factor.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/nexus-prime/13974d1314207152-4-5-inches-24lm0e8.jpg
Sorry for the long post..

Last edited:

anon(444008)

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
KittenMittens did a similar analysis in the Nexus Prime thread a while back, also coming to the conclusion that a 4.6" screen could fit within the same physical dimensions as current 4.3" devices:

For the people that are having a hard time grasping a 4.6 inch screen on a phone, I decided to cut out a piece of paper to the exact dimensions of this display, and place it over my Thunderbolt to show how small of a difference it actually is.

There are lots of calculators online that can calculate the exact dimensions of a screen for you, I use this one...

DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator

You can't calculate length and width of a display with just the diagonal length unless you have the aspect ratio or resolution, fortunately we know that this display will mostly likely be 720p (or 720 wide by 1280 tall - in portrait mode that is), so we can easily calculate the exact dimensions of the screen. The cool thing about these calculators too is that if you know the diagonal length and the resolution you can also calculate the pixel density.

Also it's worth mentioning that when comparing displays on two different phones, even when the diagonal length is the same, if they have don't have the same aspect ratio they will have different dimensions, for example the Droid X and Droid X2 (both 4.3 inch) are 16:9 since the resolution is 480 x 854 (Droid X), and 540 x 960 (Droid X2), so those two displays have the same exact dimensions however the Thunderbolt, which is also 4.3 inch, is 5:3 (15:9 if you do the math) since the resolution is 480 x 800, meaning that when you compare the Droid X or X2 with the Thunderbolt you'll notice the display on the Droid X / X2 is actually a bit skinnier and longer (more rectangular) where as the Thunderbolt is a little bit wider and shorter (more square), although the difference isn't as dramatic as it sounds.

So, using the calculator we can find the exact dimensions of the Thunderbolt's display and compare it to the dimensions of the rumored Nexus Prime's display...

Thunderbolt - 4.3 inch, 480 x 800 = 2.21" (W) × 3.69" (H) - with 216.97 ppi

Nexus Prime - 4.6 inch, 720 x 1280 = 2.26" (W) × 4.01" (H) - with 319.26 ppi

So as you can see the difference in length (vertically in portrait) is about .32 inches (4.01 - 3.69) , and the difference in width (horizontally in portrait) is a mere .05 inches (2.26 - 2.21).

Here are the pictures...

With the first picture, I merged two photos with both screens aligned at the top left corner to show the difference in length and width of the screens...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/nexus-prime/13973d1314207152-4-5-inches-2hq8baq.jpg

Here I centered the paper more around the bezel to show how much room they could have and still keep the same form factor.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/nexus-prime/13974d1314207152-4-5-inches-24lm0e8.jpg
Sorry for the long post..

This is an excellent post. Thanks for the visual picture, so awesome man.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

EvoNexus.jpg

A few things:
- The screen's aspect ratio then changes in the above example. Without making the device wider you introduce just a height increase, which to me is less useful (though less cumbersome) in a larger screen.
- Having no capacitive buttons on a smaller display size (non-tablet size) would seem to me to greatly reduce usability. I really hope that is not the tact used for future ICS devices. With a tablet's real estate, it works fine. With a phone, I think it will be a detriment to usability.

Bestphonever

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
A few things:
- The screen's aspect ratio then changes in the above example. Without making the device wider you introduce just a height increase, which to me is less useful (though less cumbersome) in a larger screen.
- Having no capacitive buttons on a smaller display size (non-tablet size) would seem to me to greatly reduce usability. I really hope that is not the tact used for future ICS devices. With a tablet's real estate, it works fine. With a phone, I think it will be a detriment to usability.
It's a .06 inch addition to the width of the screen and a .32 inch addition to the length with a 4.6" 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll wait to use it to see how well it works for me.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's a .06 inch addition to the width of the screen and a .32 inch addition to the length with a 4.6" 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll wait to use it to see how well it works for me.

Right. My point was that having additional height is less useful to me than additional width. And in this example you get almost no additional width.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo