October versus December release

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Phil and most sites claim an October release to compete with the iPhone, but the leak from a few weeks ago claims a week 48 release, which puts it at early December. The leak that provided the week 48 date was also the first time "GT-I9250" was provided, giving it some legitimacy. I'm under the impression carriers have the most control over release dates, so why would VZW release both the iPhone and Prime in October? VZW has no benefit of having these two phones compete. They're making a buck either way. Maybe VZW feels the need to release a GS2-like device to ride the GS2 campaign wave, so they need to release it in October. Only other reason I think/hope it's released in October is because Google has the clout to say when/how/where a Nexus device is released, and Google doesn't want to lose customers to the iPhone. Thoughts?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Phil and most sites claim an October release to compete with the iPhone, but the leak from a few weeks ago claims a week 48 release, which puts it at early December. The leak that provided the week 48 date was also the first time "GT-I9250" was provided, giving it some legitimacy. I'm under the impression carriers have the most control over release dates, so why would VZW release both the iPhone and Prime in October? VZW has no benefit of having these two phones compete. They're making a buck either way. Maybe VZW feels the need to release a GS2-like device to ride the GS2 campaign wave, so they need to release it in October. Only other reason I think/hope it's released in October is because Google has the clout to say when/how/where a Nexus device is released, and Google doesn't want to lose customers to the iPhone. Thoughts?

VZW also is dumping a pile of marketing cash on the Bionic. It's the Bionic vs. the iPhone. The Prime comes later (if at all) on Verizon.

jlongjr27

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Take this any way you want, but here is a reply from my account rep at vzw when I asked about the bionic and prime release date.

Bionic by October ( nothing official) and Nexus Prime probably next yr Jan…however (google) pushing for before the Holiday season.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Take this any way you want, but here is a reply from my account rep at vzw when I asked about the bionic and prime release date.

Bionic by October ( nothing official) and Nexus Prime probably next yr Jan?however (google) pushing for before the Holiday season.

Just so no one is confused: VZW account reps know nothing. You might as well get news from the local homeless man as well.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, we know Verizon isn't going to market one of their phones against another. Until the Nexus branding actually gets its name out there, I don't think we will see the same sales numbers we see associated with the Droid or Galaxy series. This is why I am a little confused by Verizon skipping the phone for the Prime. In the eyes of a consumer, why ditch one of the world's best selling smartphones/brands for one I'm sure most people know nothing about.

The Nexus S was released on Dec 16th. Way too late. I'm thinking we will see it by Thanksgiving. Google themselves said Q4 for ICS, so until Google says differently, I'm not going to have false hope for something sooner. Especially if another carrier gets it first and we don't see one for months down the road from VZW.

KittenMittens

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, we know Verizon isn't going to market one of their phones against another. Until the Nexus branding actually gets its name out there, I don't think we will see the same sales numbers we see associated with the Droid or Galaxy series. This is why I am a little confused by Verizon skipping the phone for the Prime. In the eyes of a consumer, why ditch one of the world's best selling smartphones/brands for one I'm sure most people know nothing about.

The original Droid wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful as it was if it weren't for Verizon's marketing. It doesn't take "one of the world's best selling smartphones" or a recognizable name like "Droid" or "Galaxy" to make a successful marketing campaign. Verizon probably recognized that the Prime will be a better opportunity for them with the latest version of Android and cutting edge hardware, and other carriers will be getting Galaxy S II variants anyways, whereas the Nexus Prime will attract more customers from other carriers as well. They will probably market it until our eyes bleed, and it will have the same opportunity to be successful as any "Droid" or "Galaxy" phone.

The Nexus S was released on Dec 16th. Way too late. I'm thinking we will see it by Thanksgiving. Google themselves said Q4 for ICS, so until Google says differently, I'm not going to have false hope for something sooner. Especially if another carrier gets it first and we don't see one for months down the road from VZW.

Remember Q4 includes October, but I agree I think mid to late November is most likely. The rumors haven't suggested Verizon will be the only carrier but all signs point to Verizon being first to get it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch