Video tour of ICS, behold the glory!

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
really? THIS is it? this looks nothing better...As a long time android user, I cant say im impressed one bit. One thing I've always liked about IOS is that it looks great from the get go, why can't android?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Its real. There was a whole debate going on over at the XDA forums. The device in question was remotely locked then wiped after the video was made. Eventually they were able to pull the kernel and ramdisk from the device and tell that it was legit.

And so if true, this "legit" OS on video happens to look almost EXACTLY like the launcher skin in that video? I am sorry, I am not convinced. No matter, we should know by 10/11 anyway.

Suffice it to say I will not be happy if this is indeed it ...

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
really? THIS is it? this looks nothing better...As a long time android user, I cant say im impressed one bit. One thing I've always liked about IOS is that it looks great from the get go, why can't android?

Yeah. First impression was "...that's it?" Kind of underwhelmed. Then again, I don't know what I was expecting. Hopefully hardware is impressive/this is fake/there are sweet widgets we're not seeing :)

Xephik

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm so mad for not bothering to find the XDA thread last night. This guy lives in Suffolk County NY. Chances are I'm within a half hour car drive from him. I'm no dev or anything but I have more than decent knowledge/ability when it comes to Android, and could easily have gotten a dump before it was wiped. I could have made Android/nerd history. Ah well xD

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
For those of you saying it was underwhelming...what do you expect? It was just a video. We saw the UI. What did you expect to change in the UI? This is Android. We aren't playing catch up with notifications stuff like that. ICS will likely have biggest game changers under the hood, along with new apps. All this video showed was paging through some stuff. There is more to an OS than the menus and app drawer.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
For those of you saying it was underwhelming...what do you expect? It was just a video. We saw the UI. What did you expect to change in the UI? This is Android. We aren't playing catch up with notifications stuff like that. ICS will likely have biggest game changers under the hood, along with new apps. All this video showed was paging through some stuff. There is more to an OS than the menus and app drawer.

No one said it was bad, just underwhelming. Are you impressed by this? Not to mention that thre is a good chance that it's not really ICS, but just a launcher made to look like rumored ICS components. Either that or Google copied their ICS off a launcher that has been out a few months already.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No one said it was bad, just underwhelming. Are you impressed by this? Not to mention that thre is a good chance that it's not really ICS, but just a launcher made to look like rumored ICS components. Either that or Google copied their ICS off a launcher that has been out a few months already.

But wasn't that launcher based off of the leaked ICS screen shots?

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It looks a little too Tron-ish.
Come on Google...stop being so damn nerdy and put a little "cool" into your ui.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
But wasn't that launcher based off of the leaked ICS screen shots?

Probably was, who knows. Even so, for supposed "real" ICS to look precisely like someone's fake launcher that has been out seems fishy. I guess it doesn't really matter much at this point. Probably no point in me guessing either way anymore as we'll know everything on 10/11, or so we hope. :D

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Probably was, who knows. Even so, for supposed "real" ICS to look precisely like someone's fake launcher that has been out seems fishy. I guess it doesn't really matter much at this point. Probably no point in me guessing either way anymore as we'll know everything on 10/11, or so we hope. :D

That launcher everyone is referencing comes from here...
[App] Ice Cream Sandwich 2.4 Launcher - xda-developers

The developer of said launcher even said (per the linked xda thread) it was based off of some leaked ICS screenshots as seen here.
Android Ice Cream Sandwich Screenshots Leaked

Having used the launcher, I can tell you there's quite a few things that it's missing compared to what's seen in the video (app drawer is horizontally paginated in the video while the fake ICS launcher is vertically scroll-able, the Google App folder icon in the fake launcher actually opens multi-tasking app previews...while in the video it opens a folder of actual Google Apps, etc.). They are definitely not the same thing.

anon(392846)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I know it'll probably all come clear on the 11th, but if you see the images that are posted here, some of the stuff in the video actually could be accurate to the new Nexus considering it'll launch with ICS. I'm talking in particular about the camera opening from the launch screen, but there are other interesting things listed on those pics that seem to ring true for this phone.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a believer of this video now after spending some time reading a locked thread on the XDA-developers site.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The video reeled me back into prime land was going to try and get a vigor but if that launches on or around the 13 with the prime shortly after I will wait. This phone seems like the monster I want with an os that's lean and mean. Getting tired of skins and the bug/delayed updates they cost give me something that is built by an oem but with google providing the os and accompanied updates

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
im waiting for the prime because it's stock. Not so much for the out of box experience but because when a update comes out, the rooted version will be available with little to no bugs. Dont have to make the update work with a skin or have to deal with hybrids.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I continue to be surprised at how many people are actually impressed by this video. Assuming for the moment that it is real, what looks so great about ICS? I just honestly want to know. The app manager is new (for phones anyway, but it's the same as what is on Honeycomb now obviously), the app drawer has split apps and widgets, and ... ??

I honestly am very excited for the Prime, and I can't wait to get it. I am hoping ICS will provide some nice improvements to the Android experience. I just didn't see many of them in that video that has everyone so excited ...

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I continue to be surprised at how many people are actually impressed by this video. Assuming for the moment that it is real, what looks so great about ICS? I just honestly want to know. The app manager is new (for phones anyway, but it's the same as what is on Honeycomb now obviously), the app drawer has split apps and widgets, and ... ??

I honestly am very excited for the Prime, and I can't wait to get it. I am hoping ICS will provide some nice improvements to the Android experience. I just didn't see many of them in that video that has everyone so excited ...

Most of the improvements will probably be under the hood. That video just showed us all visuals, if it even is real.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Most of the improvements will probably be under the hood. That video just showed us all visuals, if it even is real.

Yes, that seems likely. I am just a bit surprised at how some folks seem to love what they see is all. I am actually optimistic that ICS will bring us some really nice improvements (under the hood or not)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19