Pre Galaxy Nexus Conversion Tasks...

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
As the title says, I just want to review and discuss what (if any) Pre Galaxy Nexus Conversion Tasks that need to be performed on my existing phone, prior to converting to the Galaxy Nexus...

By that I mean, what can I do ahead of time from the standpoint of backing up my applications, data, custome user settings (fonts, colors, wallpaper) etc... to make the transition and recovery to the GNex easier... or do I have to start over from scratch.

My DoridX was my FIRST android device so I'm not sure if there is any type of "Best Practice" to prepare and migrate my apps and settings to a NEW android device.

- My phone is NOT rooted, but I have made several backup copies (Using My Backup) of the Applications & Data and moved them over to my server
- I have a detailed list of applications that I am currently running that I would PREFER to have on the GNex when that comes... however, I'm not sure if that will apply because of the new version ICS..
- I have taken "camera" photos of my settings and icon placements
- I've copied all of my pictures, music, ringtones, etc.. over to the server as well...
- Is there anything else that needs to be done....?

I really not worried about reinstalling the applications as much as I am have to go into each app and configure my personal settings...

Any thoughts...? Thank you...

Verapakill

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You pretty much did everything needed I always just check to see if my contacts are backed up on gmail.com and copy all my pictures to my desktop.

As for apps the paid ones will stay with your account and personally I like to start over its like a cleaning of the ones I dont use any more.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have thought about this as well. I use Google mail and contacts so these should automatically come down to the phone.

I will back up existing pictures to my PC and then manually transfer them to the new phone. I think I will take a few pictures first and then check the phone storage to determine where/how items are stored.

For apps I think I would rather re install them from the market instead of trying to copy them from a backup...my reason is that I am coming from a Moto device and would rather have the apps fresh installed by the Samsung system. Yes I will have to configure them again, but I would rather have the GN install the apps by itself instead of me just trying to copy them from another manufacturers system and risk bring along some file or something that the new phone won't recognize.

There are some apps I don't want installed yet even though I have purchased some of them, these would include web browsers, launchers and keyboards. I want to use the system as is until I get used to it.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If the dx has gingerbread, you'll probably have your apps automatically installed during setup. You might even get some you uninstalled, Derp.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
If the dx has gingerbread, you'll probably have your apps automatically installed during setup. You might even get some you uninstalled, Derp.

Is there a way to PREVENT automatic install. There are some apps I don't want on the phone at first.
Right now I have all of my apps in the market set to only allow manual updates, and I have the market app configured to disallow automatic updating. Will I be able to configure the market like this before it tries to install my purchased apps?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to PREVENT automatic install. There are some apps I don't want on the phone at first.
Right now I have all of my apps in the market set to only allow manual updates, and I have the market app configured to disallow automatic updating. Will I be able to configure the market like this before it tries to install my purchased apps?

Thats a good point... I forgot all about the Automatic install. I agree, I would want to install the apps manually as well... but the configuration settings are killer for each app... but not that big of a deal...

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
i have 4-5 gbs of files I want to move from my SD card on my fascinate, onto the galaxy nexus. I already backed those files up onto my computer.. was planning on just dragging and dropping them onto the nexus because I cant just use this SD card.. but with the no USB Mass storage is that an option?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Whoa, wait, so MyBackup will back up saved game data even if your phone isn't rooted? I recently rooted my Thunderbolt (I figured I'd play around with it a bit before I dump it for the Nexus), and someone told me to use MyBackup to transfer saved game data across ROMs, but I was under the impression it only works when you're rooted. If I can use it to transfer my game data to another phone, I'll be super happy. :)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, wait, so MyBackup will back up saved game data even if your phone isn't rooted? I recently rooted my Thunderbolt (I figured I'd play around with it a bit before I dump it for the Nexus), and someone told me to use MyBackup to transfer saved game data across ROMs, but I was under the impression it only works when you're rooted. If I can use it to transfer my game data to another phone, I'll be super happy. :)

Yeah seems like it I just looked at in the market and there are extra features if you're rooted.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Coming from rooted Samsung Fascinate and want to transfer my music and photos from it to my GNex.
I have used Kies to load music onto the Fascinate from PC but now I cannot connect to Kies via USB.
Is there some other way?