Was excited, now I am torn, help!

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, first.

I was deployed for the last year, had my Droid 2 Global with me the whole time and it served me well. The sand storms did not even kill it. Got back just in time for an upgrade and was really looking forward to the Nexus.

Now, for the first time, I have heard about the Droid 4, and I am torn.

I liked having the physical keyboard on the Droid 2. I also liked having a world phone. I DO NOT like having a non removable battery. I figure on the world phone, (I go out of the country once a year) I can just hold onto the 2 global and use that when I need to. So really it comes down to the keyboard and the battery.

People keep telling me I need to jump to a touch only device, that it is so much better. I have also heard ICS is a great typing experience. Will I regret ditching a physical keyboard when there is now a 4G option for one?

Any help would be appreciated.

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
If you are truly torn, you are better holding off until the D4 is released and going to the store to see it for yourself. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse later on.

Reactions: Jdm4292

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If you are truly torn, you are better holding off until the D4 is released and going to the store to see it for yourself. Nothing worse than buyer's remorse later on.

Isnt the D4 supposed to be coming out the same day or the day before?

But yes, either way I agree. Go check them both out and make an informed decision for yourself.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much whatever you like. I doubt it would be that hard to adjust to on screen keyboards, especially the ICS keyboard on a 4.6" screen. Another thing is that Motorola phones are generally known to have a very strong build, so that might be something to consider if your phone takes a lot of abuse.

You could just try both phones in the store and see which one feels better to you. I wouldn't count on the D4 having ICS in the near future though if you're concerned about software.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'd personally say you should try them both out this weekend at the store. And if that's not enough, just buy the Galaxy Nexus and if it turns out you need the keyboard, return it for the DROID 4.

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I personally HATE the bulk that keyboards ad, but to agree with everyone else: whatever floats your little boat.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
See, I guess I should have included my background.

I used to have a Storm, then a Storm II. I liked both phones in the store. Thought they were great. 3 months later, I wanted to curse every time I had to type something.

I have lost faith in my ability to judge this. Is it me, or was it the Storms? Will playing with it for an hour really help me on this as that failed me.

As for durability, I am hoping that Otter comes out with something and I case it. A phone that thin, I have no problems using a thick case since I am used to Droid 2 and 3 thickness. (wife has a droid 3 that I carried around for a bit)

tlincoln

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

I used to have a Storm, then a Storm II. I liked both phones in the store. Thought they were great. 3 months later, I wanted to curse every time I had to type something.

I have lost faith in my ability to judge this. Is it me, or was it the Storms? Will playing with it for an hour really help me on this as that failed me.

As for durability, I am hoping that Otter comes out with something and I case it. A phone that thin, I have no problems using a thick case since I am used to Droid 2 and 3 thickness. (wife has a droid 3 that I carried around for a bit)

First of all, Thanks for your service, so the rest of us can sit here on AC and b*tch about the Nexus delays! You can't go wrong with either. From my own experience, I'm missing the tips of 3 digits on my left hand and hesitated switching to a touch only but have adapted and will never go back to a slider.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I had a Storm before the Droid X. The Storm's touchscreen is not at all a good basis for judgement of touchscreens. The Droid X blew it away.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Im kinda confused i know the bootloader is locked, but i be able to use a ICS Rom on the droid 4?

Yes, but development for the Motorola phones is typically pretty limited compared to other phones considering the locked and encrypted bootloader. If you're interested in ROMs, then you'll probably want to avoid phones with locked and encrypted bootloaders, like Motorola's tend to be.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Another thing you could do is try using the on screen keyboard on your D2 for a week or so to get used to it. Keep in mind that the Nexus will also have the ICS keyboard on a much larger screen, so it could only be better. If you do buy the Nexus and don't like not having a keyboard you can always return it to get the D4 if you're willing to pay the $35 restocking fee.

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought of that. I tried out the rezounds keyboard in the store and the screen is so much bigger! it makes my Droid 2 Global feel like a much older phone. I hope the typing experience is night and day.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I use voice dictation more than typing these days, swipe is good and swiftkeyX is only 10cents right now. I probably won't go back to a keyboard phone for a while and I have had 5 or 6 keyboard phones over the years. Droid 4 is tempting but I am really looking forward to a pure ICS experience and heavily supported phone in the community. If Moto treats D4 like D3 then I'm not sure I want to dive into that..

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Droid 4 is supposed to be Dec 22 now. My advice is to wait and compare the two phones.

I agree about the non removable battery, but have been pleasantly surprised by the RAZR's battery life so far. Plan on waiting and evaluating weather to replace the D3 with the D4 as my daily driver or wait for something better.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, don't use the Storm or Storm II as a benchmark for touch screen phones. I had the Storm, and so did my wife and buddy. They were absolutely a huge fail. I've had a couple touch screen phones since the Storm and won't go back to a physical keyboard.

Another benefit, there's less nooks and crannies for dirt and grit to get into with a slab phone. Just a thought.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, don't use the Storm or Storm II as a benchmark for touch screen phones. I had the Storm, and so did my wife and buddy. They were absolutely a huge fail. I've had a couple touch screen phones since the Storm and won't go back to a physical keyboard.

They were a different type of touch screen technology, that behaved very differently, but the iPhone had already set expectations for how a touch screen should behave and when it wasn't the same people didn't like it. I freely admit the Storm 1 had a LOT of issues, but once you got used to it the Storm 2 was actually a really nice phone.

Another benefit, there's less nooks and crannies for dirt and grit to get into with a slab phone. Just a thought.

Yeo, gotta agree there.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty