Anyone else starting to think this phone will be a disaster?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't mean in terms of popularity, I mean in terms of problems. It seems like everyday the phone doesn't come out something new is wrong with it. And yes, I know that every new phone is going to have it's bugs, especially when it comes with a new OS. But I'm not talking about rumors, I'm talking about things shown from people who actually use it; first it was the volume bug, then it was the USB cable making the touchscreen spaz out. Now one of the guys here who got one says his sound went completely MIA. That's three major issues we've actually seen and the damn thing hasn't even been released yet.

Then you see the VZW apps preinstalled on it. Then you hear from Google that they "removed Wallet at Verizon's request". Then you see the videos of the HSPA version and you've got even more problems. I've experienced Samsung's shoddy build quality first hand - I have a Charge, I've been through two Galaxy Tabs that both got sent back. Needless to say I'm not enthralled to hear about who built this phone. Sure, something like speech to text pulling contact names out of the blue should definitely be fixable via software, but even with the exception of the apps, those other things are all hardware related issues. Can they be fixed with software updates? There's a good chance most of them could. But as far as software goes (and though only slightly related), throughout all of Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread and now ICS we still haven't had a fix for Gmail that allows us to sync high-res contact photos, so just because something can be fixed via software doesn't mean it will be.

Then if you take the rumors into consideration, you have a phone that may not be updated directly from Google, that could very well be outdated a month after it's launch and a bunch of other problems I can't even will myself to list. Make no mistake about it, Android is beautiful. I want to love this phone. The HD Super Amoled itself is enough to justify it for me. Hell, up until the threads and YouTube videos showcasing it's problems I was prepared to buy this thing off contract since I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I don't know if it's the way they handled this launch or what... but something about this phone just irks me now. Something tells me "there's a problem with the phone that can't be fixed without a recall" or "the second I buy it, a host of other hardware problems are going to show up, and I question what of them can be fixed". I'm just really starting to doubt wanting this phone.

Reactions: philly

gnex_please

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean in terms of popularity, I mean in terms of problems. It seems like everyday the phone doesn't come out something new is wrong with it. And yes, I know that every new phone is going to have it's bugs, especially when it comes with a new OS. But I'm not talking about rumors, I'm talking about things shown from people who actually use it; first it was the volume bug, then it was the USB cable making the touchscreen spaz out. Now one of the guys here who got one says his sound went completely MIA. That's three major issues we've actually seen and the damn thing hasn't even been released yet.

Then you see the VZW apps preinstalled on it. Then you hear from Google that they "removed Wallet at Verizon's request". Then you see the videos of the HSPA version and you've got even more problems. I've experienced Samsung's shoddy build quality first hand - I have a Charge, I've been through two Galaxy Tabs that both got sent back. Needless to say I'm not enthralled to hear about who built this phone. Sure, something like speech to text pulling contact names out of the blue should definitely be fixable via software, but even with the exception of the apps, those other things are all hardware related issues. Can they be fixed with software updates? There's a good chance most of them could. But as far as software goes (and though only slightly related), throughout all of Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread and now ICS we still haven't had a fix for Gmail that allows us to sync high-res contact photos, so just because something can be fixed via software doesn't mean it will be.

Then if you take the rumors into consideration, you have a phone that may not be updated directly from Google, that could very well be outdated a month after it's launch and a bunch of other problems I can't even will myself to list. Make no mistake about it, Android is beautiful. I want to love this phone. The HD Super Amoled itself is enough to justify it for me. Hell, up until the threads and YouTube videos showcasing it's problems I was prepared to buy this thing off contract since I'm not eligible for an upgrade. I don't know if it's the way they handled this launch or what... but something about this phone just irks me now. Something tells me "there's a problem with the phone that can't be fixed without a recall" or "the second I buy it, a host of other hardware problems are going to show up, and I question what of them can be fixed". I'm just really starting to doubt wanting this phone.

This is oddly reminiscent of the Bionic release.
If true then we are just about to get RAZR'd.
Nice job making a new thread when there are many many threads like this.
Good day sir,

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Nice job making a new thread when there are many many threads like this.
Good day sir,

Thanks, I liked the other ones so much I thought I'd make one of my own.

Or, I saw them addressing individual issues and this thread combines it all into one discussion about the build quality of the phone and whether or not it'll become a bad investment. You know, whatever came first.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
I sure hope more people feel this way come release day. Should make it extremely easy for those of us that do want it to find it at the local store.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
You realize the usb thing happens on many phones when a cheap usb is used? People get worked up over the littlest things. Not to mention you ever think the one who jas sound issues got a lemon? Since he is only one reporting that.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The thought has crossed my mind. However I haven't had any major issues with the GSM version at all so, I'm not sure what you mean about that. The volume bug has been fixed as far as I know through the update.

There seems to be a problem with LTE phones in general, not just this one. This is why I wondered if there may be issues. I've had all Nexus phones and they all had issues that were fixed with OTA updates.

I was initially really happy with the idea of this phone being on VZW but I'm not sure now. Hopefully it will be ok when it's released. That's all we can do is hope.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
The only bug worth mentioning is the volume bug and apparently that's already been fixed. For Verizon customers we're used to this crap. Verizon is a magnet for phone issues.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else starting to think this phone will be a disaster?

Hardware, software wise.....NO
I'm thinking (hoping) is a defective(and very isolated) units with the big bugs.

This effed up release...YES

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried at all.

Plus, I don't know where people are getting these rumors about updates not coming from Google. As far as I've seen, these are only coming from paranoid forum posters, not from any reputable sources. Rather, the reputable sources have unequivocally states that the updates will come from Google. Just like every other Nexus device.

Also, the Google Wallet thing is so overblown. First of all, there are very few places that you can even use it. Second, it's currently only pre-installed on 1 device. One! People are making it seem like every other Nexus has GW on it, when that's simply not true. I don't get it.

Reactions: Premium1

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be a good phone.. I dont think it will be a disaster but I have to wonder if one day this phone will be talked about like we now talk about the tbolt.. Both phones started with a legion of unwavering fans before they were released.. that wanted to hear nothing about anything possibly wrong with the device. In the case of the tbolt it was 4g lte.. what else mattered? .. it was shut up and get the phone. In this case its Nexus/Pure google on Verizon finally.. what else matters? shut up and get the phone.

I for one think I would actually like the nexus more if it wasnt so blindly defended.. and so "hyped". I dont think it will live up to the hype.. and I do think the phone is going to have more bugs then the average phone.

People have said over and over they dont care about bugs.. I think thats just silly. and like it was said before.. I think this phone lost alot of its advantage when it clearly getting updates directly from google became questioned and not having any verizon apps pre-loaded came about.

It has a slew of problems many people simply dont care about.. but they are big problems. Not having SD card slot.. and not having USB mass storage.. WTH is the point of this? isnt this phone suppose to be dev friendly? it barely quadrants 500 pts higher then my fascinate with ICS.. where as the galaxy s2 is like 2k above it. Add on the questionable radio quality of samsung phones and battery life reports we have gotten.. I really dont see how this phone is hyped as much.. simply because it carries the Nexus name.

This phone might be able to live off the Nexus name.. or it might kill it.

to the poster above me: about GW.. NFC/GW.. was practically the #1 point people made as this phones selling point when compared to the razr and rezound.. now its like noone cares that the #1 point they made doesnt matter? I mean we are taking the hits on this phone pretty well.. I think they could announce it doesnt make phone calls and some people wouldnt care.

and as far as the lucky guy who has one, that has a very bad bug... I dont see how you people think thats going to be isolated.. like 3 were sold nationwide so far.. and 1 has a bug? thats not a good sign...

Reactions: Kunji

sanktheboat

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I probably have 20 micro usb cords in my house. A handful of the cheaper ones always cause the screen spaz issue, not just on my D1, but on lots of other smartphones (including Blackberries and iPhones) that my friends try to charge here using them.

I almost never have problems with the 10 or so "official Motorola" cords I've bought (the kind that came with my D1)..... until last night. Last night, none of my laptops or computers would recognize my uncle's D3 until I tried one of the cheaper cords.

Go figure.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it will be a disaster, but it's a new phone and version of the operating system, so I am prepared for problems that go along with that.

gnex_please

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The forums are filled with pure speculation on this phone.
Assuming that all the positive speculations are not true and all the negative speculations are true, one could still assume that this phone will still be a success.
A success in that it will sell well and a success in that it will be a significant step forward in terms of LTE and dual core in a decently sized package.
This isn't the greatest phone ever but it is the next step forward.

I personally am more concerned with how VZW would treat me as a customer.
I am not currently a customer with them and their clear lack of respect for their customer base is disconcerting at best.

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be a good phone.. I dont think it will be a disaster but I have to wonder if one day this phone will be talked about like we now talk about the tbolt.. Both phones started with a legion of unwavering fans before they were released.. that wanted to hear nothing about anything possibly wrong with the device. In the case of the tbolt it was 4g lte.. what else mattered? .. it was shut up and get the phone. In this case its Nexus/Pure google on Verizon finally.. what else matters? shut up and get the phone.

I for one think I would actually like the nexus more if it wasnt so blindly defended.. and so "hyped". I dont think it will live up to the hype.. and I do think the phone is going to have more bugs then the average phone.

People have said over and over they dont care about bugs.. I think thats just silly. and like it was said before.. I think this phone lost alot of its advantage when it clearly getting updates directly from google became questioned and not having any verizon apps pre-loaded came about.

It has a slew of problems many people simply dont care about.. but they are big problems. Not having SD card slot.. and not having USB mass storage.. WTH is the point of this? isnt this phone suppose to be dev friendly? it barely quadrants 500 pts higher then my fascinate with ICS.. where as the galaxy s2 is like 2k above it. Add on the questionable radio quality of samsung phones and battery life reports we have gotten.. I really dont see how this phone is hyped as much.. simply because it carries the Nexus name.

This phone might be able to live off the Nexus name.. or it might kill it.

to the poster above me: about GW.. NFC/GW.. was practically the #1 point people made as this phones selling point when compared to the razr and rezound.. now its like noone cares that the #1 point they made doesnt matter? I mean we are taking the hits on this phone pretty well.. I think they could announce it doesnt make phone calls and some people wouldnt care.

and as far as the lucky guy who has one, that has a very bad bug... I dont see how you people think thats going to be isolated.. like 3 were sold nationwide so far.. and 1 has a bug? thats not a good sign...

Please show me where anyone has said that NFC/GW was "practically the #1" reason to get the phone over another. I haven't seen that at all. What I have seen is people saying the main reason to get it is for the "pure" good experience and getting updates first. I don't personally care about a couple verizon apps. Who knows, they might even be useful. And like I said before, reputable sources (including Phil on AC) have said that the updates will come from Google, just like they have with other phones. The only place I'm seeing speculation about where the updates will come from is on forums like this, with zero substantiation to back up the claim.

A rumor is just that, a rumor. Not fact.

As for the phone being overly hyped, I'd tend to agree. I'm not going crazy over it. I want it sooner rather than later so I can sell my iPhone and still get the maximum amount for it. My take is that from every review I've read, it is the best Android phone on the market today. Battery life is ok. No high end android phone has great battery life, at least not on 4G. That's a sacrifice I'll make for the speed.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Assuming that all the positive speculations are not true and all the negative speculations are true, one could still assume that this phone will still be a success.
A success in that it will sell well and a success in that it will be a significant step forward in terms of LTE and dual core in a decently sized package.

I am not currently a customer with them and their clear lack of respect for their customer base is disconcerting at best.

a few years ago I would of told you that cell phone companies are probably the biggest dbags around. Sprint and ATT both were a nightmare for me.

Verizon has been nothing but great to me. Several credits totally'ing over a 100 all together for simple small issues that sprint would of told me to get bent about.

If you arent on Verizon, then buying the Gnex will be a huge upgrade in your phone game.. simply because you now have reliable, friendly, and able customer service.

Reactions: ejaymd11

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I am not currently a customer with them and their clear lack of respect for their customer base is disconcerting at best

This launch is frustrating but, from my experience Verizon's customer service is pretty good. If your're spending money on their devices they seem very appreciative. When I bought the Iphone 4 and Bionic they sent me friendly emails thanking me for choosing them and, when I've talked to them on the phone or in the store they've been very friendly and helpful.

That doen't mean much to some people but, I like that. I'm not an advocate for them like some but, I'm just being honest about my recent experiences with them. Don't let this launch sour your feelings toward them, I'm certainly trying not to.

heggood

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this electronic communication device will be a disaster. But I'm convinced the Verizon side of this forum is definitely a disaster.

Sent from my Fake, delayed, overdramatized Galaxy Nexus