Official Battery Life Thread

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
might be a bit of a inconvenience for many but why not try a factory reset and start fresh and see what happens.. worth the try if you might get better results.

mdmogren

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Took off charger at 10am. About 2 hours of web use and a couple phone calls and it was completely dead by 2pm. Pretty pathetic.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I usually get about 10 hours normal use: no wifi mostly gtalk messaging Google voice texting about 1 hr maybe more of screen on time. Today I was watching YouTube vids browsing the web texting using navigation and it died in 4 hours which isn't bad for being in 4g the whole time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
How about the idea of restricting data to an app partially by say, a time increment? In other words, if I have words with friends on and restrict the data to only work every hour then I could save battery (currently you can only restrict it completely and keep it on at wi-fi)

eikphoto

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
62e4b483-e118-7c3f.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Juststef

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

How much time were you actively using your phone? Highlight display, OS, and Phone. This will give a more accurate representation of active usages. You may find out that out of 15 he's, you had three hours of real time usage and 2hrs wake time. Someone else with 10hrs may have 3hrs real time usage and 5hrs wake time because of continuance running process.

That would tell someone else that your phone isn't working so hard and they will have to cut back and find out what your running to have similar results.

Nexusfan

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Im finding that tapatalk is killing my battery.

After I installed it, my phone got pretty warm and android os was keeping my phone awake.
My battery dropped 20% in one hour when it lasted 19 hours on the previous charge.

I uninstalled tapatalk, and my phone immediately cooled down. The android os awake stopped going up as well.

that's interesting. I use it more than any other application and it never uses more than 3 percent of my battery

google plus was the biggest user by far with facebook a close second. Disabling both of those applications increased my battery life dramatically.

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm posting my screenshot of battery usage today typical for my workday which is now done.
I've had my WIFI on, BT off, google sync on, 4GLTE off all day. Screen dimmed to 20% (visibility fine in fluorescent lighting at work). I made a dozen calls (each 5min or less), used internet 10-12 times for 5-10min each, checked my email 12+ times, did 10 speedtests, uploaded 8 images, saw 2 videos of 5-10min, looked at my calendar & contact list about 10 times, downloaded 3 apps (deleted), and more - my typical daily use:

Screenshot_2012-01-04-16-31-20png.png

I've tried my battery usage with WiFi on, BT off, sync on, LTE on, Screen on auto & I get to <5% batterylife in 5 hours or less. So the auto screen dim was the first to go, it didn't make a big difference, the LTE was next, still huge battery drain. I finally tried the DInc bump charge: 1) charge til full w/phone on. 2)unplug from charger, turn off phone. 3)when phone is off completely, plug back in to charger, 4)charge til full (about 15min or so) 5)turn phone back on to make sure battery says 100%, then unplug & use all day. It seems to work, at least for me. Not using LTE all the time is a drawback, but I find I only need it when I'm browsing internet & no WiFi is available. Fortunately I have good Wifi at work & at home, so I can turn on LTE only when I'm in the car & need to access the internet. I wish there was a good app that I can use to more quickly turn the 4gLTE on/off like a switch.

ithinkimjoe

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So I'm at work and I'm not on my phone a lot. All i do is check twitter and send text messages and this is the battery life i'm getting. its horrible. my charge would get about 15 hours easily. and this one is getting 10. turned the LTE off on both.

I do have beautiful widgets running but that's really about it. i tried disabling Google+, didn't improve battery life at all. I'm not sure what to do given i work 11 hours a day and yesterday it was at 30% after about 6 hours.

Edit: my Android OS keep awake time is 1:10.39. and my screen has been on for 22 mins...

Edit: uploaded another pic of the battery at 10% after less than 8 hours.

Last edited:

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
This is one of my best days yet...

Extended battery, 4G turned off (set to 3G only). WiFi on all day. Bluetooth on all day - just connected while in car for about 1 hour.

Axiom ROM 2.2 - Touch My Wookie Kernel 0.4.2 - overclocked to 1350. Stock volatage
75% left - 13.5 hours on battery
Screen time on pretty low at 47 minutes
0% time with no signal
keep awake time 1h 33min
brightness set to auto

Last edited:

captainb8

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Have cycled the battery probably 4 or 5 times now. Here's my typical weekday usage from roughly 6:30am - 6pm.

Usage
~45 minute commute to work during which I'll briefly check FB and Twitter, check out unread items in Google Reader and read/delete a handful of emails (Gmail). Maybe a few minutes surfing.

While at work, phone sits mostly unused on my desk, with the exception of a few random checks of Gmail or text messages.

~60 minute commute home. Same use as morning commute, plus streaming iHeartRadio and some light web browsing.

Settings
Completely Stock; Standard Battery
Wifi: OFF
BT: OFF
NFC: OFF
GPS: OFF
Google Location Services: ON
4G: OFF
Brightness: ~10%
Syncing 2 gmail accounts
Facebook auto sync: OFF (manual refresh)
Twitter auto sync: OFF (manual refresh)
Stock news & weather widget refresh every 3 hours
Words With Friends: Background Notifications refresh every 1 hour

Battery down to 51% after just under 12 hours, but only 47 minutes of screen on time. Oddly enough iHeartRadio didn't show on list of battery uses.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on my beloved Vnex has been killing me; even though I previously posted that killing NFC and using Juice Defender plus the extended battery helped tremendously, it just isn't good enough.

I use the phone too much to make it through a day. With 50% battery gone in less than 1 hr of screen-on time, it's just not going to cut it.

I'm seriously considering returning it, but I will probably keep it, hoping a future kernel or radio flash will improve the battery life some how.

I've switched back to an iPhone 4S, and while I'd much prefer the Android, I'm presently 1 hr 20 min of screen-on time, wifi ON, bluetooth ON, with 80% battery left.

I'm hoping very much that a new ROM will help significantly, but we'll have to see. Either that, or I may sell the Vexus and look at the Razr Maxx. But hate to be stuck with MotoBlur and sloooow delayed OS updates, though, after the goodness of ICS!

procarry21

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
what ROM are you running? I'm on bugless beast and dont have these battery issues. I use it all day for calls, web browsing and internet radio/podcast.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
what ROM are you running? I'm on bugless beast and dont have these battery issues. I use it all day for calls, web browsing and internet radio/podcast.
Stock.

I'm sure a kernel that's underclocked while screen is off will help (as it did on my D.Inc) but I haven't gotten around to unlocking/rooting the Vexus yet.

I'm a bit disappointed that even Google's shiny new Android 4.0 needs to be tuned up by the developer community to make it usable.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on my beloved Vnex has been killing me; even though I previously posted that killing NFC and using Juice Defender plus the extended battery helped tremendously, it just isn't good enough.

I use the phone too much to make it through a day. With 50% battery gone in less than 1 hr of screen-on time, it's just not going to cut it.

I'm seriously considering returning it, but I will probably keep it, hoping a future kernel or radio flash will improve the battery life some how.

I've switched back to an iPhone 4S, and while I'd much prefer the Android, I'm presently 1 hr 20 min of screen-on time, wifi ON, bluetooth ON, with 80% battery left.

I'm hoping very much that a new ROM will help significantly, but we'll have to see. Either that, or I may sell the Vexus and look at the Razr Maxx. But hate to be stuck with MotoBlur and sloooow delayed OS updates, though, after the goodness of ICS!
I think something a lot of us are ignoring, or overlooking regarding our battery life is the size of the screen on the Nexus. The larger the screen size alone is going to be something consumes more power. Add in the SuperAMOLED screen that uses even more energy. Some of big positives about this phone, are also some of its biggest battery consumers.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I think something a lot of us are ignoring, or overlooking regarding our battery life is the size of the screen on the Nexus. The larger the screen size alone is going to be something consumes more power. Add in the SuperAMOLED screen that uses even more energy. Some of big positives about this phone, are also some of its biggest battery consumers.
For sure the screen is going to use more than most other phones. But there's a 2100mAh battery in there (at least with the extended). I find it disconcerting that a 2100mAh battery can't run the phone and it's screen at 25% brightness for more than 2 hours tops screen-on time while the 1500mAh battery in an i*hone can last 5 hours of screen on-time at 50% brightness... At least in my experience with having both simultaneously.

I'm very jealous of the Raxr Maxx's 3100mAh battery. And it's still a slim phone.