Official Battery Life Thread

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have noticed with the extended battery, I can not seem to get it to hit 100%. I charge it up all night (7 hours) either with the device powered on or off, and it remains at 99%.

How can I get it to 100% or does it not matter?

Mike
I dropped my extended in my Nexus yesterday. Charged it last night and it registered 100% this morning. Not sure why yours doesn't and mine does.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
What I have found interesting, I installed Llama the other day..... and it shows me which cells towers are being used. Now at home I notice my battery life is better than when I'm at work. When I look at the cell tower info in Llama I can see a pretty constant change in the cell towers, even when I'm sitting at my desk all day. At home my cell tower rarely changes, I can actually drive around for several blocks before my cell tower changes.

So it would be interesting to see if those who are having battery life problems are seeing similar type of cell tower issues (where the phone is constantly polling and changing the cell tower it's connected to). See if there's a pattern or not. I'm probably wrong as I'm no expert on cell technology, but seems reasonable that if you phone is nearly constantly switching and authenticating cell towers during the day it has to have an impact on the battery life.

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been consistently seeing higher than expected screen on as well as OS Keep Awake time, compared to my actual usage. I've been through about 70% standard battery in 6.5 hours with relatively light use, a few texts, check emails, light web browsing. I have screen timeout at 15 seconds and estimate I used the phone less than 30 minutes during this period. My screen shows 1 hr, 8 minutes on and my OS Awake time is 2 hour 25 minutes (CPU Totat 33 minutes).

Both of these seem to be drastically more than my actual usage. I have tried various applications, System Tuner, Watchdog and CPU spy over the last two weeks (period of poor battery) and I just don't know enough to effectively analyze what may be going on. The only takeaway I have that seems interesting is it shows my CPU in the 350MHz state for 24% of the time over the last 15 hours. Much of that was overnight when I wasn't doing anything. Something seems to be keeping the phone awake (albeit at the lowest CPU level).

"Where's my Droid Power" doesn't show any applications using more than about 3% (Nova Launcher and Swype). Big users are of course Screen 45% and OS 23%.

Phone is stock, unrooted 4.02. Any thoughts on how I diagnose what is going on. Keep in mind I'm 50 years old and probably more senile that I am tech savvy at this point.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I am apparently back to normal on my "always on" problem. I went through every single one of my downloaded programs and disabled the autoupdate. I also drained the battery down to 0 as recommended above and then recharged to 100%. I did a battery pull after that. Now my usage is back to normal, as is my battery life. I will post pix when my battery finally dies.

Very strange because 2 days ago my bar was a solid blue for the phone showing being active (all day and all night). Now it's sporadic like my use of the phone is....

Something is not right but it seems that I was able to kill whatever was keeping my phone "active" even though obviously my screen was off and I was not using the phone about 80% of the time...

Katherine

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think I am getting better battery life from my standard battery than from my extended. I went to CES last week and started each day with a fully charged extended battery in my Nexus and my standard fully charged as a spare. Clearly I was using the heck out of the phone, taking pictures, googling, messaging over 4g. I was replacing the extended after around five hours. Day three I forgot to change back to the extended and went to the show with only the standard battery. It lasted all day! I was punishing it too. I will be doing some tests, but has anyone else noticed this?

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
No but I get basically the same out of the extended and the regular! So much for extending...

Thank goodness this is the first extended battery with a good profile on the phone and no significant weight added. Otherwise I would send it back in a heartbeat.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think I am getting better battery life from my standard battery than from my extended. I went to CES last week and started each day with a fully charged extended battery in my Nexus and my standard fully charged as a spare. Clearly I was using the heck out of the phone, taking pictures, googling, messaging over 4g. I was replacing the extended after around five hours. Day three I forgot to change back to the extended and went to the show with only the standard battery. It lasted all day! I was punishing it too. I will be doing some tests, but has anyone else noticed this?

When I first installed the extended battery the above seemed to be what was happening to me too. I switched back to the standard battery. But, I decided to try the extended battery again. When I installed the extended battery again, I have been getting an amazing amount of time out of the thing with regular use of the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38