WIFI HotSpot w/out a plan CONFIRMED TO WORK! No root needed.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Cool - thanks.

I do have to admit that it's weird they won't sell you an app without owning a phone. :confused:

It's not weird, when you purchase an item on the online market it automatically sends the app to your device, if there's no device it can't send the app. Plus, it checks compatibility before allowing you to purchase. If you have multiple devices associated with your account, as I do, it shows which can get the app and even allows you to push it to a specific device.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just and FYI for those of you who are eligible for unlimited wifi hotspot --
You can prorate your plan. I have done this multiple times over the summer and fall when going on vacation. Basically it works out to $1.00 per day or a bit less if you have a corporate discount. We spent 3 days driving out to Yellowstone from Michigan this past August and I used the hotspot for our ipads and my kids' ipods and cost me all of $2.40 for the three days in the car.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
It's not weird, when you purchase an item on the online market it automatically sends the app to your device, if there's no device it can't send the app. Plus, it checks compatibility before allowing you to purchase. If you have multiple devices associated with your account, as I do, it shows which can get the app and even allows you to push it to a specific device.

You can do it with iOS apps though. If I'm getting an iPhone next week and I know about an app that went on sale that I want to buy before the sale ends, I can buy it on iTunes and just wait until I get my iPhone.

Google should let you do this with Android apps.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If I leave the network unsecured, it works without any problems. If I put a password on it, it only works for a few minutes on my MacBook Pro but continues working fine on my iPad.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw
my confusion was that I was using code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ on my incredible. Why does android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting need root and this wifi does not?
The developer of this app found a workaround is the best of my guesses

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am still mystified by this, i just did a search for free hotspot and all i get is you need to be rooted. What is with this conspiracy theory that you need to be rooted.

searched for "android do i need rooted for free wifi hotspot"

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am still mystified by this, i just did a search for free hotspot and all i get is you need to be rooted. What is with this conspiracy theory that you need to be rooted.

Might have found something, on some radio's the radio is locked and this can not be done, never had a sammy phone, maybe it is not locked?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Did this stop working for everybody? I only had the 2 day free trail and don't want to pay for it if it stopped working.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

It depends on how the WiFi is hooking into the system. The root version is basically undetectable, while the other is not. Hence the reason some people are reporting being redirected to the VZW service page. Be careful with these, there was a story up somewhere ( can't remember if it was here or XDA ) a few years back with someone tacking on a bunch of money for data usage.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine was working the other day on the trial then I bought the full version worked fine, today it doesn't work no matter what I do. Anyone have any tips?

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I think I fixed the wifi hotspot, I released and renewed the IP a few times and set the network to open on the app and it connected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty