Is the third button also a task manager?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I guess in a very, very light form it probably is a task manager... but not in the form it is on something like Windows.

crenca

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I cringe at the thought that someone still uses advanced task killer.

Never heard a good explanation for this common cringe. The usual "Android does it's own memory management/process handling" is good in theory, not so good (sometimes) in practice. Sometimes a good task killer is what is needed to get things moving again. I wonder if there is not a little fan boy fantasy in the thought that Android is somehow perfect in it's memory/process management, and that apps are somehow (always) perfectly coded.

I like and use android to the exclusion of all other mobile OS's, but experience has taught me well that a good process killer is needed sometimes...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Never heard a good explanation for this common cringe. The usual "Android does it's own memory management/process handling" is good in theory, not so good (sometimes) in practice. Sometimes a good task killer is what is needed to get things moving again. I wonder if there is not a little fan boy fantasy in the thought that Android is somehow perfect in it's memory/process management, and that apps are somehow (always) perfectly coded.

I like and use android to the exclusion of all other mobile OS's, but experience has taught me well that a good process killer is needed sometimes...

its good if you are using it to kill one app that is poorly coded or conflicting but most people are using it to kill all apps percieved to be using resources. They are using it based on the thought process that android is coded such as windows and apple where apps are running indepentantly. Unlike android that has app resources that are shared. so when you kill all apps you are forcing them to reopen also many apps are not using resources but are open in a suspended state. so killing them is unnecessary.

So in short the task killer in itself is not the problem its how its being utilized.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
its good if you are using it to kill one app that is poorly coded or conflicting but most people are using it to kill all apps percieved to be using resources. They are using it based on the thought process that android is coded such as windows and apple where apps are running indepentantly. Unlike android that has app resources that are shared. so when you kill all apps you are forcing them to reopen also many apps are not using resources but are open in a suspended state. so killing them is unnecessary.

So in short the task killer in itself is not the problem its how its being utilized.

This is good to know. Thanks!

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I definitely needed a task killer on my ThunderBolt to keep it running decent. I don't care what anyone says about Android not needing it. I needed it. Killing all my backgrounded apps made the phone run smooth again.

Haven't needed one on my Galaxy Nexus yet though. I don't even have to think about what's running in the background. It always runs great.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I definitely needed a task killer on my ThunderBolt to keep it running decent. I don't care what anyone says about Android not needing it. I needed it. Killing all my backgrounded apps made the phone run smooth again.

Haven't needed one on my Galaxy Nexus yet though. I don't even have to think about what's running in the background. It always runs great.

yeah well on that paper weight TBOLT i could see it needing it

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
The TBolt had decent hardware though. 1GHz processor and 768MB of RAM should be enough to run a mobile OS smoothly. It was Android.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Swiping to remove something from the "Recent Apps" view does not close the app. I use Advanced Task Killer for that purpose when needed.

Yes it does close it. Open up the browser and navigate to a page. Now hit your home button and then swipe away the browser from multitasking. Now re-open the browser. It will load up fresh again from whatever your home page is set to

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
That's a moot point, use the home button and do anything else and then multitask button back to the browser and it'll still load up fresh again. one of my complaints.

Yes that does suck but the point is that when you swipe it away, your entire browsing session is closed. If you leave the browser in memory, at least you can still navigate within your page history