Google Search home screen bar - what's an invaluable tool!!!

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4S for a week. The only thing I found Siri could do for me was "Wake me up in 30 minutes" and it set an alarm.

Imagine my amazement when my Galaxy Nexus can do the same thing. A great phone just got better. Now Google needs to advertise it some more. :D

you just found why apple is so successful......marketing! this is nothing i havnt been using for almost 2 years but all of the sudden apple markets it and boom.... OMG have you seen Siri? you have to have Siri!

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
you just found why apple is so successful......marketing! this is nothing i havnt been using for almost 2 years but all of the sudden apple markets it and boom.... OMG have you seen Siri? you have to have Siri!

Exactly. I bet the iPad 3 will have TWO speakers instead of 1 like the iPad and iPad 2 then Apple will tell the world about stereo and the crowd will stand up and cheer!

Many people will come out of the announcement gasping at Apple's new technology.

Reactions: moosc

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
My brother in law has an iphone and was going all crazy over siri on me. He kept telling it to do stuff and it never really worked. He just kept on going and I told him that it was cool but Ive been using voice commands and searches for two years on my droid. He didnt believe me and acted like I was an idiot....he kept telling me that I didnt understand this was brand new technology......I just broke my phone out and started telling it to do stuff.....and of course mine worked.......then he told me mine sucked because it didnt talk to me......I tried showing him how mine actually worked again but he wasnt interested.....he was convinced that apple had created this amazing new technology that I just couldnt comprehend.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
People will also think that Apple created facial recognition if Google doesnt dispute or fight their application for a patent on it.

What Apple is awesome at it selling and marketing.

Even Woz expressed dissatisfaction with Siri and it's downtime and results in some of his recent interviews.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
People will also think that Apple created facial recognition if Google doesnt dispute or fight their application for a patent on it.

What Apple is awesome at it selling and marketing.

Even Woz expressed dissatisfaction with Siri and it's downtime and results in some of his recent interviews.

Google can't dispute it. The patent was filed before ICS even existed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Google can't dispute it. The patent was filed before ICS even existed.

From everything that I have read and come across Apple filed the application in December 2011. Do you have information to show that they filed earlier?

Patents can be challenged if someone can provide proof they created something earlier.

The following is just one example article.
source

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I use a soft mic button and love it.

I also put hidden shortcuts all over my screen. To the right and left of my clock are shortcuts. Tap above the home button, hides the notification bar.

Loving 'my beach' live wallpaper too.

185dbd5b-add9-8234.jpg

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
When I got my GN on 12/15 and saw Google Search homescreen bar the first thing I did is went into the settings and disabled Google Search and Voice Search - how dare is Google to put their crap on my homescreen!

Well, today I decided to give it another shot and - oh man, what an invaluable tool that is!!!

I'm keeping it on!!!!

That search bar makes things sooooo much easier: call Super Cut in North Miami - and, boom, phone is dialing, find Wind Dixie in North Miami - and, boom, Google Maps opens up with all Wind Dixie stores, send text, send email, .... The damn think can even type SMS and emails in Russian.

At first I thought it would be awkward to use it in public, but I started to hold my phone to my ear (like I"m on the phone) and give commands that way - perfect.

If you havent been using it - give it a try, a really good, fast, and very accurate. I just hope it would not add too much drain to the battery.

didn't realize i could disable it. thanks. never use it. :cool:

.....and Siri sux. nothing more than a lame marketing tool-like the GN's facial unlock feature.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

nailerdog

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd prefer to have the bar on just one screen as well. I've used the app since my OG droid.

When I turn off Google Search I don't get the space back on the screen? Looks like I need to use a different launcher?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
From everything that I have read and come across Apple filed the application in December 2011. Do you have information to show that they filed earlier?

Patents can be challenged if someone can provide proof they created something earlier.

The following is just one example article.
source

No they were granted the patent then. They filed it in 2009 or 2010.

And no, Google can't contest it if they say they had something earlier than the filing. The only way they could is if it was on the market before the filing.

nailerdog

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Loaded up Nova launcher, Put the voice search in the dock. Whoohooo.

I have my entire screen back as well as the tool that I use a lot. Now if I could only get that sweet analog clock that is in the New Galaxy rendering. Anyone figured that one out?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4S for a week. The only thing I found Siri could do for me was "Wake me up in 30 minutes" and it set an alarm.

Imagine my amazement when my Galaxy Nexus can do the same thing. A great phone just got better. Now Google needs to advertise it some more. :D

Ha ha, SIRI and Google can both do much more than that. I have used them both extensively and this article sums it up for me Speech Smack-Down: Siri vs. Android Voice Actions - Businessweek

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as the Google search bar is on every home screen no one can confuse this phone as an iPhone.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Did you actually read the links you posted? They say exactly what I said.

The only way Google can interfere with the Apple patent is if they 1) Patented it first, or 2) Put a product on the market with it before the patent was filed. Google did neither, and would not have any ability to claim the patent. Even if Google had come up with face unlock before Apple filed, they would have had to make it known that they invented it. Because they didn't, they lose the ability to contest Apple's filing.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Dude, where did you go to law school? You need to sue those b*stards to get your tuition money back because you didn't learn anything. Oh wait, you didn't go to law school.

You are going on ice because you've contributed to the destruction of three threads in one night, and continued despite a warning only hours ago.

Back on topic.