Hello, Looking to buy a Nexus, Few Questions

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone :) Happy to be part of these forums.

I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus for a while now and I'm mainly comparing it to the Razr Maxx. I have quite a bit of questions on it and was hoping you nexus users could answer.

I. On the topic of battery life. I usually do a few calls in a day, text a few, and browse for 20 minutes or so. On 4G. Would I be a victim of battery life issues? My previous device is an HTC Thunderbolt so I don't want this to occur again. Mini Question: The extended battery, does it add much thickness and is the performance worth it?

II. I see tons of threads here about connectivity issues. Are they that bad? I usually have 4g/3g in my area here in Miami Florida. I don't mind being switched off 4g for a few hours so I don't mind. Would that affect me? How is WiFi.

III. Is the Notification LED customizable? (Different Colors).

IV. Does the phone lag/hiccup?

V. Is google good for updating their phones?

VI. Is a phone silicone cover necessary? I'm careful with phones. I will be getting screen protector though.

VII. Can this phone transfer files, for example PG05IMG files, normal image files, music to the computer and on? Does it have cloud?

VIII. The rooting scene. Is it safe? Would it improve battery life (hoping ALOT for this). Can someone recommend ROMs?

Sorry for the lenghty post. I wanted to get some questions answered.

Thank You very much android forums.

Last edited:

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
1. With your phone on 4g it's gonna hurt the battery, but it wont be nearly as bad as the thunderbolt. The extended battery adds a little thickness but it's barely noticeable and it might give you 2-4 more hours by the end of the day.

2. I don't have 4g but I have not had any issues connecting or staying connected to 3g or wifi.

3. I believe you can change the notification light color using a certain app. https://market.android.com/details?...29uc3VsdGluZy5hbmRyb2lkLmxpZ2h0Zmxvd2xpdGUiXQ..

4. My phone only lags after getting out of some cpu intensive apps. It's not very often.

5. I have no idea, I have only had one update since I bought the phone. Your updates won't be instant but it'll be way faster than any other phone that has a skin on it.

6. I had to have a cover. Without a cover the phone just slips right out of my hand.

7.You can transfer with usb to a computer and there are lots of 3rd party cloud apps.

8. I haven't rooted yet so I have no idea.

Edit for missing one of the questions.

Last edited:

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
First off, welcome to the forums. :)

I. If your typical day looks like a couple calls, some texting, light browsing, etc. you should have no problem making it through the day. Battery life for me is typically at least 12 hours on a good day. (Tonight I updated to the leaked 4.0.4 update and that has improved my battery life quite a bit).
The extended battery adds maybe a millimeter or so in thickness (negligible, seriously) and if you're concerned about your battery life, springing for one certainly wouldn't hurt. I use one, I think it definitely adds a couple hours of life.

II. I haven't had any problems with connectivity, at least in areas with half-way decent signal. Downstairs in brick and cement buildings I don't get much in the way of 4G ;) WiFi, for me, has been very good.

III. As tjlandberg said, you need to download a third-party app to customize LED notifications. LightFlow Lite is a good example (tjlandberg linked to it).

IV. Hardly. It really is smooth as butter. The only times it lags is when you have a significant number of apps running in the background, and even then it might only stutter a little bit.

V. Nexus phones generally get the latest version of Android well before any other devices. This pattern has changed somewhat recently, but that's mostly due to troubles with updates on the Nexus S and the global Galaxy Nexus models - certain tablets have official 4.0.3 out. But it looks like 4.0.4 is on its way to the Verizon Nexus, so all is well.

VI. Definitely get a case. I'm currently using the Cruzerlite Androidified TPU case, before that I was using Verizon's plastic case and holster. The phone is beautifully designed, but it can be hard to hold onto.

VII. Google doesn't have any sort of personalized cloud storage for the device, but if you need to transfer files directly between the Nexus and your computer, you can just plug it in over USB and it's basically a flash drive. You can also use Dropbox to store files in the cloud.

VIII. It's safe. There will also inevitably be a huge amount of development going on with the Galaxy Nexus, with such a wide distribution that it's getting (GSM model, on all sorts of carriers in Europe and Canada, Verizon model, etc.). I didn't notice any improvement to my battery life when I rooted and installed a custom ROM, but your mileage may vary. I think it's perfectly fine without rooting. (Right now I'm running un-rooted 4.0.4)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone :) Happy to be part of these forums.

I've been looking at the Galaxy Nexus for a while now and I'm mainly comparing it to the Razr Maxx. I have quite a bit of questions on it and was hoping you nexus users could answer.

I. On the topic of battery life. I usually do a few calls in a day, text a few, and browse for 20 minutes or so. On 4G. Would I be a victim of battery life issues? My previous device is an HTC Thunderbolt so I don't want this to occur again. Mini Question: The extended battery, does it add much thickness and is the performance worth it?

II. I see tons of threads here about connectivity issues. Are they that bad? I usually have 4g/3g in my area here in Miami Florida. I don't mind being switched off 4g for a few hours so I don't mind. Would that affect me? How is WiFi.

III. Is the Notification LED customizable? (Different Colors).

IV. Does the phone lag/hiccup?

V. Is google good for updating their phones?

VI. Is a phone silicone cover necessary? I'm careful with phones. I will be getting screen protector though.

VII. Can this phone transfer files, for example PG05IMG files, normal image files, music to the computer and on? Does it have cloud?

VIII. The rooting scene. Is it safe? Would it improve battery life (hoping ALOT for this). Can someone recommend ROMs?

Sorry for the lenghty post. I wanted to get some questions answered.

Thank You very much android forums.

There have been great suggestions and answers to your questions already by these last post. I only have a few things to add here:

1. Battery life: This started off not so good for me. In the first week I got about 9 - 10 hours barely touching my phone for anything. Now, just today, I had two 1-hour conversations, multiple checking and sending email from 2 accounts, a few txt messages, and a quick game of reversi waiting for a hair cut, and my battery is at 13% after 15 hours of usage, which I think is way beyond exceptional. I DO NOT have the extended battery either, BUT I also do not live in a 4g location, so my phone is always in 3g mode and that does make a difference on battery life.

2. Connectivity: Many users have complained when it comes to connectivity. Mainly its the fact that data drops and doesnt automatically reconnect. this happens when the phone switches from 4g to 3g and back and verification fails during the process. The thing is that this happens with a lot of Verizon's 4g phones, if not all of them. The transition from 4g to 3g is also relatively slow on the GNexus, however BOTH of these issues are rumored to be fixed in the 4.0.4 update that was leaked today. I personally havent had this issue to begin with, but again, thats because I don't live in a 4g area.

3. One thing that was missed in the other posts here is that the LED in the Nexus is indeed multi-color RGB. Lightflow is also the app I use and IMHO if you arent using it with the GNEX then you are doing it all wrong. the RGB LED in the gnex allows for many different colors, however you DO need a 3rd party app like lightflow to take advantage of that.

4. Never had any noticeable lag. The UI is very smooth (Not quite iphone smooth, but pretty close)

5. Google isn't bad with updates. Compared to any other android device out there, a Nexus will get updates quicker every time.

6. Get a cover. This phone can be slippery without one.

7. Nothing to add here, pretty much has already been explained in previous posts.

8. I have never rooted, I run stock, so I will let others answer for that one.

Hope I've been of some help, and that no matter what you ultimately choose you end up happy!

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! You guys have been tons of help so far.

Hey, for the update that was leaked, do you need to be rooted to flash those leaks or just download them?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! You guys have been tons of help so far.

Hey, for the update that was leaked, do you need to be rooted to flash those leaks or just download them?

It's been stated just the opposite actually, the phone has to be completely stock. I haven't looked thoroughly through it, but the thread on this forum thats currently discussing tthe 4.0.4 update should have instructions.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/154019-anyone-flash-4-0-4-yet.html

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe that a lot of the concerns you have in your questions, is going to be addressed with this 4.0.4 update thats going to be rolling out soon for the Nexus. Since its leaked now and users are installing it, there saying that a lot of what your concerned about, has been improved.

Edit: As for the leaked file, you do have to be Stock. Except you need to unlock the bootloader. Which isnt completely stock lol

Reactions: anon(596177)

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
That's great to know, thanks.

Is there usually battery life improvements with updates?

edit: On that thread you linked for the leaked update. I found this : My battery life right now is phenomenal. Sitting mostly idle for about two and a half hours, only down to 94% (roughly 40 hours of estimated life.) by a user named hyperdude, so that's good news.

Newport Viper

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I. On the topic of battery life. I usually do a few calls in a day, text a few, and browse for 20 minutes or so. On 4G. Would I be a victim of battery life issues?

This is my usage exactly. I get 14-16 hours battery life. I am 100% stock & on 4G all the time. I live in the LA market and have 0 issues with service or connectivity. I doubt much issues in Miami...

Great phone! Good luck in your choice.

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
This is my usage exactly. I get 14-16 hours battery life. I am 100% stock & on 4G all the time. I live in the LA market and have 0 issues with service or connectivity. I doubt much issues in Miami...

Great phone! Good luck in your choice.

14-16 hours!? God that's amazing. Might just go ahead and get the Nexus in that case. Seeing as I won't be using the full potential on the battery of the Maxx with my usage.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I think that is key. If you live somewhere that does not have a strong 4G signal and are switching constantly back and forth between 3G and 4G then your battery gets drained much faster. So battery life depends on not only how you use your phone, but on the strength of the 4G signal where you are using your phone.

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't of said it better. When my Thunderbolt was weak on 4g signal and it couldn't make its mind on 3g or 4g my battery was draining quick.

edit: That 4.0.4 leaked file for the Nexus is eventually going to be OTA right?

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay thanks.

Think I've made my final decision and I'm going with the Nexus, I just hope that battery isn't as bad as the Thunderbolt after tweaking etc..

Thanks for all the help guys!

If you want to post some battery screenies with 4G go right on ahead I'll be checking this thread for the next few days.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't of said it better. When my Thunderbolt was weak on 4g signal and it couldn't make its mind on 3g or 4g my battery was draining quick.
What you can do to preserve battery life is to set the phone to only look for 3G signals if you are in areas like that, but of course, that means you don't get 4G signal.

What I do is when I am at home or WiFi is available, I set the phone to only 3G and use WiFi. If I am out and about and not within range of a WiFi signal, I let it look for a 4G signal. It is a pain, but my work around for now.

AndroidWins

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, hey I hear the Nexus has no USB storage transffering, something with MTP, can I still transfer files from my pc or no?

edit: oh and does this phone have HDMI? I heard it's achieved through the USB port??

Last edited:

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
What you can do to preserve battery life is to set the phone to only look for 3G signals if you are in areas like that, but of course, that means you don't get 4G signal.

What I do is when I am at home or WiFi is available, I set the phone to only 3G and use WiFi. If I am out and about and not within range of a WiFi signal, I let it look for a 4G signal. It is a pain, but my work around for now.

You don't have to switch back and forth when you are on wifi. When wifi is connected it turns off the data radio all together. So even if 4G is enabled it won't be looking for a 4G signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to switch back and forth when you are on wifi. When wifi is connected it turns off the data radio all together. So even if 4G is enabled it won't be looking for a 4G signal.
Then why does it drop calls on me when I have Wifi on and it loses the 4G signal? Also, when Wifi is on, if I go into about phone status, it shows the 4G signal strength fluctuating. If the data radio were turned off, how would the phone know that the 4G signal was fluctuating?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Then why does it drop calls on me when I have Wifi on and it loses the 4G signal? Also, when Wifi is on, if I go into about phone status, it shows the 4G signal strength fluctuating. If the data radio were turned off, how would the phone know that the 4G signal was fluctuating?

He was only half right. The radio is still on, but it doesn't send or receive anything.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, hey I hear the Nexus has no USB storage transffering, something with MTP, can I still transfer files from my pc or no?

edit: oh and does this phone have HDMI? I heard it's achieved through the USB port??

You can transfer files between your PC and phone. I've done it several times, I'm not sure who told you otherwise...

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have and HDMI port, but I believe there is and HDMI docking station or something like that... Someone else could probably answer that better than I can though...