Google Wallet

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue, but when I try to add my prepaid card to Google wallet, it won't add the card and tells me to try again later. I originally thought it was a problem with Codename Android, but Lollee76 over at Rootzwiki shared this statement with me and it answered my question of whether it was a problem with the ROM or Google Wallet.

"Protecting your payments with Google Wallet
Over the last few days we've received questions and concerns about issues related to the security of Google Wallet. People are asking if Google Wallet is safe enough for mobile phone payments. The simple answer to this question is yes. In fact, Google Wallet offers advantages over the plastic cards and folded wallets in use today.

First, Google Wallet is protected by a PIN ? as well as the phone?s lock screen, if a user sets that option. But sometimes users choose to disable important security mechanisms in order to gain system-level ?root? access to their phone; we strongly discourage doing so if you plan to use Google Wallet because the product is not supported on rooted phones. That?s why in most cases, rooting your phone will cause your Google Wallet data to be automatically wiped from the device.

Second, we also take concrete actions to help protect our users. For example, to address an issue that could have allowed unauthorized use of an existing prepaid card balance if someone recovered a lost phone without a screen lock, tonight we temporarily disabled provisioning of prepaid cards. We took this step as a precaution until we issue a permanent fix soon.

And just like with any other credit card, you can get support when you need it. We provide toll-free assistance in case you lose your phone or someone manages to make an unauthorized transaction.

Mobile payments are going to become more common in the coming years, and we will learn much more as we continue to develop Google Wallet. In the meantime, you can be confident that the digital wallet you carry provides defenses that plastic and leather simply don?t.

Posted by Osama Bedier, Vice President, Google Wallet and Payments"

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Having issues too, used it once this morning for coffee and then it started saying unable to contact bank. After trying to refresh for a while, I cleared everything and started over.. I got this:

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I wiped my phone last night and today when I installed Wallet I was having the same issue. I called customer support and the rep told me they took down the Wallet servers for maintenance. He didnt mention anything about the security issues and I didnt think to ask. He apologized for the inconvenience and said to check in a couple days. He also said he will make my issue for follow and I should get an email when the servers are back up.

Funny thing, he said my account shows Galaxy Nexus and asked if I side loaded the app. I said no I got it from the market and have been using it for weeks. He said oh yeah we have heard there is a work around and He said he doesnt know if the techs at google are going to fix the work around. I told him I love this app and use it few times a week and he said that is good. Overall good experience except for not having my prepaid card any more...guess i have to use my credit card for my redbull fix :)

As I was typing this I received this email...

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I wiped my phone last night and today when I installed Wallet I was having the same issue. I called customer support and the rep told me they took down the Wallet servers for maintenance. He didnt mention anything about the security issues and I didnt think to ask. He apologized for the inconvenience and said to check in a couple days. He also said he will make my issue for follow and I should get an email when the servers are back up.

Funny thing, he said my account shows Galaxy Nexus and asked if I side loaded the app. I said no I got it from the market and have been using it for weeks. He said oh yeah we have heard there is a work around and He said he doesnt know if the techs at google are going to fix the work around. I told him I love this app and use it few times a week and he said that is good. Overall good experience except for not having my prepaid card any more...guess i have to use my credit card for my redbull fix :)

As I was typing this I received this email...

A few days? Guess I'll have to use something else for my caffeine fix. It's nice to see them following up with an email. Bet it's down that long because they're patching the security concerns, since it was all over this week.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used it last night at McDonalds without any problems.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
there's been two security flaws found with GW so far. i'll post a link if i find the article again. they're not major ones, but it makes you wonder if there are others....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but both flaws are premised on a major common fact--your phone needs to be physically taken.

In essence, it's literally the same as someone taking a credit card.

snowblind64

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah those security flaws aren't any worse than a standard credit card. One can get your pin if you're rooted and the second one negates the first as you can simply clear data on the wallet app to reset the pin. I'm not too worried.

On topic, I used Wallet last night to buy a couple red bull's and the transaction worked but my balance won't update and I get the "cannot contact bank" error for my user ID. It also seemed slower than usual. I just added $20 a couple days ago, hopefully they git this fixed soon.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah those security flaws aren't any worse than a standard credit card. One can get your pin if you're rooted and the second one negates the first as you can simply clear data on the wallet app to reset the pin. I'm not too worried.

On topic, I used Wallet last night to buy a couple red bull's and the transaction worked but my balance won't update and I get the "cannot contact bank" error for my user ID. It also seemed slower than usual. I just added $20 a couple days ago, hopefully they git this fixed soon.

Exactly what happened to me this morning. Got coffee with it as normal, went back into to it later and the balance wasn't updated and the charge wasn't reflected then, got the same bank error. Maybe when it's back it will have a nice update as well and will have Visa/Discover support :cool: Hahaha... wishful thinking.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch