News Google Wallet is making contactless payments more secure but more annoying

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Now, Google is making device unlocks a requirement for all users in all 👉reasons👈, and not everyone is happy about the change.
As fun as that would be, Google has no control or authority to mandate unlockable bbooloaders. While the toggle be made software side, the core function affects hardware which OEMs have full decision making power over

FunnyZA

Oct 1, 2023
Visit site
What I find annoying more than anything is the fact that you can still have the wallet as a lockscreen widget. if they truly are about security then remove that feature first and then add then unlock feature, also why couldn't they send a notification warning message before hand?

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hell no... Have you been in developing countries? a lot of street hawkers now use card machines and tap to pay is super common.
What does that have to do with anything?

The point is, the added security adds 5-10 seconds at most (or if you're clever and make a Tasker profile) or even less to open. So the "making it more annoying" bit of the title is pointless complaining.

Reactions: rvbfan

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Personally I don't get the point of the article. I use my thumb to unlock the phone about 1 second before I make my purchase. Even if I have to do it again, maybe add another second. First world problems.

Reactions: notforhire

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
What a crisis... of first world proportions. Hope everyone will be ok. I know this inconvenience has shaken me to the core.
This is an insult to first world problems everywhere, lol. Seriously, though, I have both Google and Samsung Wallet on my phone. Samsung is my primary. Google is for a few cards that simply don't support Samsung's offering. The article identifies a problem that doesn't even exist. Open the app, authenticate, pay, gather your purchased items, leave.