4G LTE problems HELP!!!

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
ok Im new to whole rooting and unlocking the bootloader process so bear with me. I purchased the GNEx from a friend of a friend yesterday and once I got it activated I had trouble keeping a solid connection. The phone would drop calls and go in and out of service(this was with 4G enabled). So I unlocked the bootloader(my first time) and flashed to 4.0.4 thinking it would help with my connectivity issues but now 4G still does not connect for more than 5 mins at a time. So i decided to swith to 3G and do a battery pull and now 3G works flawlessly. Any advice before I re-lock bootloader and take it into a VZW store?

PS. yes I do live in a 4g lte area. My 4g signal was solid on my bionic.

Thanks in advance

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
It may sound simple, but have you pulled your SIM card out? Power off the phone and pull the SIM out, and let the phone sit for a couple of minutes, then power it back up.

Go with the simple solution first, hope that helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: xratede

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I see LTE as being in it's alpha stage at worst and beta at best. It's no where near ready for the marketplace and is completely unreliable on any phone/any area/at any time. I leave both my Bionic and Nexus in CDMA mode all the time and an happy with both devices, never seeing any of the problems others report. That's probably not what you want to here (I know, you paid for 4g and want 4g), but that's how I see it. Verizon 4g sucks, but my Nexus is way faster on 3g than any other device I've had. Besides, I'm usually on a wifi network (at home and my studio) and I'm old enough that I don't feel a need to check facebook or tweet about every step I take when I'm outside, walking around and enjoying the world. I do believe it will get better, but we're not there yet.

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I see LTE as being in it's alpha stage at worst and beta at best. It's no where near ready for the marketplace and is completely unreliable on any phone/any area/at any time. I leave both my Bionic and Nexus in CDMA mode all the time and an happy with both devices, never seeing any of the problems others report. That's probably not what you want to here (I know, you paid for 4g and want 4g), but that's how I see it. Verizon 4g sucks, but my Nexus is way faster on 3g than any other device I've had. Besides, I'm usually on a wifi network (at home and my studio) and I'm old enough that I don't feel a need to check facebook or tweet about every step I take when I'm outside, walking around and enjoying the world. I do believe it will get better, but we're not there yet.

I get what u are saying but my Bionic never had ANY problems with losing my 4G signal and dropping calls, its like when I switch to 4g the phone doesnt even allow me to make calls now. Im gonna take it into a VZW store and see if they can give me another one

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I get what u are saying but my Bionic never had ANY problems with losing my 4G signal and dropping calls, its like when I switch to 4g the phone doesnt even allow me to make calls now. Im gonna take it into a VZW store and see if they can give me another one

Give it a try and let us know how it works.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I think the above is a good point. I think that is also why Apple hasn't released an iphone with LTE. I think they want the technology more perfected first so as to avoid the problems seen so far.

Of course, they'll probably try and claim at some point that they created the technology. O:)

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion the GN does not handle weak 4G/LTE signals well (or the handoff to and from 3G) as my GN always gave me trouble with data at home and the gym where I have weak 4G signals. My previous Bionic and current RAZR MAXX handle these areas much better.

My GN didn't give me these issues at work where I was in a VERY STRONG 4G area.

I don't think taking the phone back is going to solve your issue (I swapped mine out with no improvement to this issue) but you might feel better by getting a new device and seeing for yourself.

Best of luck.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion the GN does not handle weak 4G/LTE signals well (or the handoff to and from 3G) as my GN always gave me trouble with data at home and the gym where I have weak 4G signals. My previous Bionic and current RAZR MAXX handle these areas much better.

I don't think taking the phone back is going to solve your issue (I swapped mine out with no improvement to this issue) but you might feel better by getting a new device and seeing for yourself.

Best of luck.

My bionic has never handled the hand off between 3g and 4g well. Even with updates.

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Best of luck.

that may be the case with mine, I will just have to see if it helps

Iceycold

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here. 4.0.4. In Miami, Florida, strong 4G area (mom's thunderbolt get's 3-4bars on 4g constant)

Whereas my GNex gets around 30 seconds of 2 bar 4g and that's if I disable mobile network and turn it back on. It can only get 3-4 bars on 3g. Sucks really bad :(. I'm in the process of finding a solution over at XDA.

Thinking it's my sim card though.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Same thing here. 4.0.4. In Miami, Florida, strong 4G area (mom's thunderbolt get's 3-4bars on 4g constant)

Whereas my GNex gets around 30 seconds of 2 bar 4g and that's if I disable mobile network and turn it back on. It can only get 3-4 bars on 3g. Sucks really bad :(. I'm in the process of finding a solution over at XDA.

Thinking it's my sim card though.

Bars mean nothing. Additionally, the bars on the TBolt do not indicate the same thing as the bars on the GNEXUS.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Bars mean nothing. Additionally, the bars on the TBolt do not indicate the same thing as the bars on the GNEXUS.

Doesnt matter if the bars are accurate or not. The thunderbolt is getting 4g in some capacity while the nexus wont which means the nexus is weaker or has an issue software or hardware related. Also verizon 4g is awesome and no where near beta quality. My thunderbolt never had an issue with 4g. I can sit next to my relatives with the thunderbolt and bionic and they get 4g just fine at my grandfathers house and im lucky to have a 4g signal half the time in there while they use it no problems. I am not comparing bars with them because i cant even get the signal period.

xratede

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

yea im staring to think its my sim card also, Im gonna try to flash to 4.0.3 and see what happens, if its not right then i will be hitting up VZW