What causes phones to start breaking up during calls?

CJ Mac

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3A which I know is on the old side for phones. But it was working perfectly well until a week or so ago when my husband told me my calls were breaking up. Now I can barely get through a phone call. (It was always clear on my side until just yesterday.)

Advice from T-Mobile was:

"- if the device is breaking up calls, if it has any case or covers please remove them, reboot and test. - check the device 4G/LTE settings, if signal is better on 3G, I recommend dropping down manual settings and using that to get by."

Why would my thin plastic case make any difference? I have no idea how to change settings from 4G/LTE to 3G. I don't see that option anywhere.

Just wondering if there's any way to keep this phone or if I'll have to get a new one.

Thanks!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, T-Mobile shut down its 3G network last year, so it's puzzling that they would've suggested that. :confused:

Second, is your plastic case completely plain, or are there any metallic accents or trim? Any metal can interfere with signal, and some cheapo case makers who don't know any better might use metal because they think it looks cool.

Third, you can try resetting the network settings. This menu item might have changed names at some point, but if you search the system settings for "reset network", it should come up.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000