Nexus->Razr Maxx->Nexus

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I posted in a couple of threads about finally deciding to switch from the Nexus. I ended up buying a Razr Maxx. I used it for three days and have returned it to Verizon and returned myself to using my Nexus.

My only objection to the Nexus was its weak ability to capture and hold a weak wifi signal, which is what I use in my office. The Maxx also showed a weak signal but it passed data with that signal whereas the Nexus would not. But with the Maxx came a screen that was an issue for me. The screen definition was not nearly as clear or as sharp on the Maxx as it was with the Nexus.

So I wondered where I go from there? I finally decided to try out a wifi extender that would carry our office wifi to the farthest areas of our offices. When I did that I was able to get a strong signal on the Nexus and the Maxx and that enabled me to return the Maxx and come back to the Nexus.

If you're expecting a rant on the Maxx, don't! The Maxx is really a nice phone, fast, agile and the radios were first rate. The screen was a major disappointment. On the other hand, the Maxx gave me jaw dropping life without having to recharge, and I have to admit that it took an extra day to decide to return to the Nexus after experiencing not having to recharge constantly.

I'm really happy that I found a way to make the Nexus work for me in the way that I use it and in the environment where I need it.

Also, the easy root and custom roms available were a major factor. The Maxx is locked down tight and even though you can root the phone, customization is severely limited by the inability to unlock that phone.

So, anyway, here I am, back in the Nexus forums and very happy to be here again. No matter site you go to, there is much more activity in the GN forums, more people happy to help with problems, and a much more open and accessible device to use and have some fun customizing.

I'm glad to be back!

Last edited:

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back!

I looked at the Razr a little before deciding on the Gnex. My friend got a RAZR not long after I got my gnex and I have to say after playing with it for a while, it really is a great phone, just not what I wanted and playing with it confirmed that.

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Im on wifi for most of my day lately and have had no problem with connections or speed. I would try a new unit. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Both are great phones and it is good you had the opportunity to end with the one you are happiest with. I made a similar move and switched to the MAXX and keeping the GN in hopes future updates will allow me to switch back. For now the MAXX is a great phone but did like the look/feel of my GN with ICS.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Im on wifi for most of my day lately and have had no problem with connections or speed. I would try a new unit. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The area where I use my Nexus for a good portion of the day was wifi challenged. No phone showed a good signal, it has always been extremely weak - at best. What bothered me was that the GN would show a weak signal but then pass no data. Other phones, HTC to be specific showed the same signal but they would pass data. It was the same with the Maxx, showed weak signal but would lock and pass data. The network extender has cleared up that problem. Now I get a decent signal and data works just fine and that has allowed me to keep using the Nexus and that makes me happy.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So I had the same experience. I originally got the Nexus the day it came out after returning my Rezound. The Nexus showed problems with signal and UI performance. I decided to order the Razr Maxx on 2/02 to try it out and compare signals.

The Nexus running 4.0.4 Leak performs very well, almost comparable to the Razr with all my testing. I've been getting on long calls and haven't ran into issues switching between antennas etc. So I'll be packing up the Maxx to send it back tomorrow. The Nexus sits next to me running very smooth.

With the experience that 4.0.4 was able to deliver, I am certain that future upgrades will polish the phone and make it more stable. Worst case scenario, I go and purchase another phone.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Rezound at the VZW store and their display model showed a lot of stuttering when switching from screen to screen going through the apps. I didn't want to go there.
I'm running the CND rom (v1.3.3) and liking it quite a bit so I've haven't gone to the 4.0.4 leak. However, I am running the 4.0.4 radios. Don't know if I'm really seeing any difference with those yet as I flashed them on Saturday night and Sunday didn't use the phone as I was at some friends house who had a family emergency and phone stuff was not my priority.

I'll get to check it out better today and am hoping that it doesn't take too long for CND to come out with a custom rom based on 4.0.4.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Both are great phones and it is good you had the opportunity to end with the one you are happiest with. I made a similar move and switched to the MAXX and keeping the GN in hopes future updates will allow me to switch back. For now the MAXX is a great phone but did like the look/feel of my GN with ICS.

Some people are reporting much better signal usage with the 4.0.4 radios. I don't know if you're rooted or not but I rooted just because I like the ability to customize the phone and have some fun with it. I have updated my radios to the 4.0.4 radios but haven't used it enough yet with those radios to give an honest opinion about them.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a good thing you decided to post this in the GN forum.
If posted in the Maxx forum, you'd probably get "Don't let the door whack you on the a#$ on the way out" or "good riddance" heheh.
But you saw the light and came back to the greatest phone on earth LOL

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I've always loved Motorola phones. For some reason, they have consistently been using weak screens (maybe to conserve battery?). The newer releases of Blur aren't as obtrusive as they used to be, and they have wicked good reception. The Razr Maxx wasn't out when I got my GN, or it would have been a tougher decision, but the screen quality and non removable battery were enough to push me to the GN. I think I made a good decision.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've always loved Motorola phones. For some reason, they have consistently been using weak screens (maybe to conserve battery?). The newer releases of Blur aren't as obtrusive as they used to be, and they have wicked good reception. The Razr Maxx wasn't out when I got my GN, or it would have been a tougher decision, but the screen quality and non removable battery were enough to push me to the GN. I think I made a good decision.

I went through a similar process, and for me I had two motivating "dislikes" of the RAZR -- its coffin-like shape and the screen.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back!

I looked at the Razr a little before deciding on the Gnex. My friend got a RAZR not long after I got my gnex and I have to say after playing with it for a while, it really is a great phone, just not what I wanted and playing with it confirmed that.

That is what it amounts too. Phones are a personal preference.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife got a RAZR, and playing with her phone almost made me not wait for the GNex. tbh, if the RAZR had an unlockable bootloader, I probably wouldn't have waited, I don't tend to like the flimsy feel of Samsung phones. Anyway, they're both great phones and I'm glad you are happy with your decision.

btw, I second upgrading to the 4.0.4 radios, and for battery life you may try getting the franco kernel. I've done both now, and I don't know what I waited so long... great battery life, and my phone holds it's 4G connection a lot better now.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My wife got a RAZR, and playing with her phone almost made me not wait for the GNex. tbh, if the RAZR had an unlockable bootloader, I probably wouldn't have waited, I don't tend to like the flimsy feel of Samsung phones. Anyway, they're both great phones and I'm glad you are happy with your decision.

btw, I second upgrading to the 4.0.4 radios, and for battery life you may try getting the franco kernel. I've done both now, and I don't know what I waited so long... great battery life, and my phone holds it's 4G connection a lot better now.

Let me tell you, the battery life on the Razr Maxx was just jaw droppingly incredible!! Almost kept the phone just for that reason. But, you are right on the locked bootloader, that took most of the fun right out of the phone.

As for Franco's kernel. I had been running that with Codenameandroid for awhile. When I upgraded to CND 1.3.3 I decided to keep the stock kernel that comes with the rom, which is made specifically for CND to see if I saw any battery difference. That's such a subjective thing that's it seems impossible to really know but I have been thinking about switching back to the Franco kernels because they did "seem" to give me good battery life. I just might do that today and give it a two or three day test to see if I find any noticeable difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty