homescreen lag

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
is it normal for homescreen to take a few seconds to load after opening some apps? sometimes when i open some apps like a game or something and i exit out of it, it takes the homescreen 2-5 seconds before the icons load. i have over 200 mb ram left when i check on apps to see what's running. this happens with stock ics home, nova launcher and adw launcher (which are the only 3 i've tried). is there anyway to prevent that from happening short of not using any apps? i would say 75% of the time it does it and other 25% it doesn't, but when i look on running services, nothing is different.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you were doing beforehand. If the phone thinks that it'll need the RAM, it'll kick the launcher out of RAM and it has to reload when you come back to it. This will regularly happen if you're playing games for a long time etc.. 5 seconds seems like a bit of an exaggeration but its possible if you have a lot of homescreens with many widgets.

Some custom launchers have "lock home in memory" or similar options that attempt to hold the launcher in RAM longer.

Other than that not much you can do about it. It's gonna kill the launcher when it sees fit.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Depends what you were doing beforehand. If the phone thinks that it'll need the RAM, it'll kick the launcher out of RAM and it has to reload when you come back to it. This will regularly happen if you're playing games for a long time etc.. 5 seconds seems like a bit of an exaggeration but its possible if you have a lot of homescreens with many widgets.

Some custom launchers have "lock home in memory" or similar options that attempt to hold the launcher in RAM longer.

Other than that not much you can do about it. It's gonna kill the launcher when it sees fit.

any chance you know which launchers have this feature? i'd rather have the home screen locked to memory rather than having it lag like that. it's annoying.

i have about 7 widgets on my home screens and i have 7 screens. is that a lot?

Last edited:

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh the home screen widget redraw issue ... Gotta love that we are all the way to Android 4.0 have dual core processors, and gobs of RAM and still have this wonderful Android problem ..... Ridiculous that they havent fixed this issue .... :mad: