Excessive Data Usage...from GALLERY??

bmesc

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Same issue with my Samsung SIII. I strongly suspect the default Samsung Gallery app, which has no option to upload over wi-fi only. However, I suspect it is due to picasaweb syncs (I already set everything I could to upload during wi-fi only) since I have a huge number of albums. I was able (I hope) to use the "Google" settings I to stop picasaweb syncing. We'll see if that works.

On a related note, the data manager app I was using appeared to split the Gallery usage. The T-Mobile data manager clearly indicates Gallery is at fault for massive data usage. But the 3rd party app I was using appeared to split it between Gallery and "OS Services." Add those 2 up and it equals the massive usage that has been blowing my data plan.

ssage

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this on the T-Mobile Samsung S3 I bought a week ago. I only ever use about ~1GB of data each month, so I decided to check how much data I've used during the first week I've had this phone and lo-and-behold it said about 500MB! Well that's not good because I lowered my plan from 5GB to 2GB of data. So anyway, what I realized is that on the day the phone got activated it used like 400MB to upload all these photos from my SD card to my Google+/Picasa thing (which I don't even use and want to delete anyway!). Since that first day I've turned OFF the Google+ photo sync and all that stuff, so no more uploading pictures to Google+. That was the main culprit.

hellorabbit

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If anyone else is experiencing this problem, I was able to stop this by turning off automatic syncing/uploading pictures or video with my Google account. I have never even logging into my Google+ account in my life, so I assume its a default setting to automatically sync.

PM me if you need additional help.

bmesc

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is because of picasa (and probably Google+) and turning them off seems to work. HOWEVER, I cannot explain how, after all the thumbnails were already in Gallery, my SIII appeared to have once again downloaded all of them. I witnessed 773 MBs over 2 days, both times while I was on 4G, i.e., on plan, and between 5:00pm and 7:00pm. 773 MBs!!! How on earth did 773 MBs get downloaded? I checked all the files on my phone and there are a total of 440 images in Gallery, all thumbnails, nothing greater in size than 150k. In order to download 773 MBs, wouldn't it seem that Gallery first downloaded the full image, then created a thumbnail, then deleted the original size image? It makes no sense, especially since all the thumbnails were already in place.

The only theory I might suggest is that Gallery checks picassa then Google+, or vice versa, and, perhaps, there is a slight variation in file identification causing it to think the thumbnail has been modified. If there is a setting that starts Gallery checking on a regualr basis (I see no Gallery setting that specifies folder crawls---and why are there virtually no Gallery settings in the first place?), then it will always see something different than what was last uploaded. I don't know.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my gs3 even after turning off all the goofle+ sync stuff. I read somewhere that it could be the phone auto backup to google. On ics if you go under backup and reset in the settings there is an option to backup data to google. It's probably a good thing to have but if that's the culprit I'm okay with turning it off. It would be nice if there was a setting for wifi only but there isn't. I know this is an old thread but if anyone can try and confirm let me know. Thanks.

suzolin

May 17, 2013
Visit site
In settings you should be able to choose to sync only over wifi. Then it won't eat up your data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Homer Residenc

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. It wasn't actually gallery using the data. I have another app that plays movies, music or pics from my home server. The app (DS Video) connects to my home server but when clicking on any movie, it would play movie with android Gallery. So I thought the data would come to the DS Video app but it streamed to the player built into Gallery. So.. my guess is you have an another app youre using that plays its media through gallery.

Ryan Wesson

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm at a loss too.....I have shut everything off its still using most of my data.
What would happen if I disabled my gallery????

My son kept going through data at an extreme rate so I went to my provider and saw exactly what he was doing online and it seems some gaming site had videos using gallery as its source program to watch videos and that accounted for all gallery use so my conclusion being if you're watching videos via browser then that should account for your high data usage