Same Google Play account on two different phones?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an older DINC that my son wants to use as a game and music device (no longer has a phone/data plan). This should be fine, all I need to do is add my gmail account to the phone and, in the market/Play app, switch to my account.

And this seems to work fine until I try to download something, then it just gives me an error message. It will download while switched to my daughter's old gmail account (it was her phone), but it won't download anything while on my account.

Is there some rule against two different phones having access to the same Android Market account?

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I have three phones using the same google account and sharing market purchaces.

In fact, you can have multiple gmail accounts associated with your phone and the market. Had I thought about it up front, I would have used a gmail account that my wife and I share for receiving bills and whatnot. That way, we'd only have to buy apps once.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
My old phone was also a Dinc and like yours I retired it as a WiFi only device for my son to use. First thing I did was a factory reset. Then I created a brand new Gmail account for my son and neither he on the Dinc nor I on my GN have had any issues. Because my son is 10 years old I don't want him to have access to email so I added the App Lock app to lock down Gmail. I also set-up his Google Wallet account with a pre-paid Visa card. He now has to use his own money if he wants to add money to the card, and my financial cards are not tied to his Gmail. Everything looks clean in my Gmail account when I access Google Play from the GN, but from a regular web browser I still see the Dinc in the drop down box. I just know to not select the Dinc because it is now tied to my sons Gmail. Not sure how I completely remove the Dinc from my Gmail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

anon(608205)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Currently you can't remove phones or apps from being associated with a gmail account. Google knows about this because there are problems with amazon and getjar crossing over with google play and messing with purchasing and updates. Google has know about this for a few months now so hopefully the will come up with a solution soon.

budwizer

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
My old phone was also a Dinc and like yours I retired it as a WiFi only device for my son to use. First thing I did was a factory reset. Then I created a brand new Gmail account for my son and neither he on the Dinc nor I on my GN have had any issues. Because my son is 10 years old I don't want him to have access to email so I added the App Lock app to lock down Gmail. I also set-up his Google Wallet account with a pre-paid Visa card. He now has to use his own money if he wants to add money to the card, and my financial cards are not tied to his Gmail. Everything looks clean in my Gmail account when I access Google Play from the GN, but from a regular web browser I still see the Dinc in the drop down box. I just know to not select the Dinc because it is now tied to my sons Gmail. Not sure how I completely remove the Dinc from my Gmail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

While you can't remove the phone from your account you can hide it to stop if from showing up when making purchases via Google Play on the web. To do this go to the bottom of the Google Play web page and select the My Orders & Devices link. Click on the devices tab and select the Edit link for the device you want to hide. From there you can toggle it to be hidden in menus which will cause it to no longer show up as a device to install to.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
While you can't remove the phone from your account you can hide it to stop if from showing up when making purchases via Google Play on the web. To do this go to the bottom of the Google Play web page and select the My Orders & Devices link. Click on the devices tab and select the Edit link for the device you want to hide. From there you can toggle it to be hidden in menus which will cause it to no longer show up as a device to install to.

Awesome tip and I am not even the OP. Thank you. I followed these instructions and the old Dinc is now hidden when accessing Google Play on the web. I also checked my sons Google Play account on the web and his Dinc is still visible. This is perfect and exactly the view I wanted. Thanks again.