Android 4.0 notifications - Counter

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Does Google have something against messaging counters?? I mean its strange that in ICS there is a counter within the apps like Messages, Gmail and the regular email app, but why cant the option to see that number on the icon like most major mobile OS's?

And I cant just download an app for it because the Gmail icon doesnt work with any of them. The mail icon doesnt work unless you actually download a entire program.

I wish Google would make a message center type notification system like BBberrys.... just saying

blackberry-data-usage-monitoring-network-traffic-notification-icon1.jpg

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
From a UI perspective, message counters on the home screen or app drawer icons would be redundant since all your notifications are visible, counted, and accessible from the status bar and notification tray. Although I think a visible counter for individual notifications on the status bar would be nice so we can remove that extra step in pulling down the notification tray to see how many messages you received.

As far as Gmail is concerned...since the 2.3.5 update, Google has "fixed" permissions in the gmail client that prevents third-party apps from accessing it. Thus any third party widgets or message counters will no longer work with Gmail. They did this, apparently, for "security" reasons.

There are workarounds to the gmail permissions fix but it requires root access.
[App] Patched Gmail to fix Go Notification and other widgets - xda-developers

There are some other notification counter solutions...

You could always try NotifierPro
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nlucas.notificationtoasterlite&token=xdX6BG_g

It gives you a semi-obtrusive banner that works with Gmail, Google Voice, SMS, missed calls, and a host of other apps. It can be positioned at the on-top or right below the status bar, in the middle of the screen, or at the very bottom of the screen. The only thing is that it only displays the latest notification(s) you received one at time a time until you swipe it away to view the next one. It does count as well.

There are other solutions such as lock screen replacements and/or widgets like Executive Assistant (which can work with Gmail).
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&token=ZcTz6PJI
The only thing is it's pretty pricey for an app. :-\ There's a free adware version but you can't use the widget in that one.

I'm sure there are some others out there but I haven't really tried them all.

Bobaroo

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would love a message counter type program or app. I loved on my blackberry knowing how many texts, bbm, email, fb notifications, tweets etc I had. I also like how when you pulled down the notification bar everything was sorted by type (i think iOS does this too).

I miss gtalk messages all the time because I don't realize I have more then one message

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
There are hundreds of email apps and email providers. How is it the responsibility of Android to dip into each app, figure out its APIs if there are any, and then extract how many unread messages there are?

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
There are hundreds of email apps and email providers. How is it the responsibility of Android to dip into each app, figure out its APIs if there are any, and then extract how many unread messages there are?

These are native apps... And I am sure it as simple as adding a API for those apps to read. The messages are only getting stored in one place. APIs come from Google not Developers btw... So I dont understand what you are getting at.

jakeh0

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

well RIM does it...probably by providing design standards for OS integration

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
From a UI perspective, message counters on the home screen or app drawer icons would be redundant since all your notifications are visible, counted, and accessible from the status bar and notification tray. Although I think a visible counter for individual notifications on the status bar would be nice so we can remove that extra step in pulling down the notification tray to see how many messages you received.

As far as Gmail is concerned...since the 2.3.5 update, Google has "fixed" permissions in the gmail client that prevents third-party apps from accessing it. Thus any third party widgets or message counters will no longer work with Gmail. They did this, apparently, for "security" reasons.

There are workarounds to the gmail permissions fix but it requires root access.
[App] Patched Gmail to fix Go Notification and other widgets - xda-developers

There are some other notification counter solutions...

You could always try NotifierPro
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...nlucas.notificationtoasterlite&token=diOqWX0p

It gives you a semi-obtrusive banner that works with Gmail, Google Voice, SMS, missed calls, and a host of other apps. It can be positioned at the on-top or right below the status bar, in the middle of the screen, or at the very bottom of the screen. The only thing is that it only displays the latest notification(s) you received one at time a time until you swipe it away to view the next one. It does count as well.

There are other solutions such as lock screen replacements and/or widgets like Executive Assistant (which can work with Gmail).
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&token=SUkPXAfh
The only thing is it's pretty pricey for an app. :-\ There's a free adware version but you can't use the widget in that one.

I'm sure there are some others out there but I haven't really tried them all.

I know there are apps for stuff like this, i am just wondering why Google doesnt have this feature in the first place.

Again, the feature exist within the Gapps themselves but the icons dont show anything. I am stock apps type of guy, I dont like customizing that much unless it comes from Google. That why I have a Nexus and not a Droid with Motoblur...Or HTC sense.

This seems standard to me... I
X9XXHqK4lYqtAUI8rd6gEamthIihc9CQd43Vte2_WKAytIkN7dkazJPf8qyXX6pFSeJR

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non