How do I find out what is killing my battery?

Akasch

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Android OS is killing my battery, how do I find out what is causing it? I usually get much longer battery times. Thanks for your help!

Time on battery is 7hr 43 minutes
CPU total is 3m 25s
Keep awake is 7h 55m
Screen on time is only 36 minutes

Stock running apex launcher. No beautiful widgets, only simple calendar and simi clock.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
One of the common things I see, is location services- Beautiful Widgets or a weather app. Try turning your GPS OFF for testing, and see if the odd drain goes away. If so, focus on location aware apps. Latitude is another than can get stuck in the ON position.

Does that better battery stats app break down what falls under ANDROID OS or CELL STANDBY? Those are usually the two that run away with things.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
The fastest battery drainer is almost always GPS running in the background. That or an app that tries to auto update stuff all the time and can't. It's not the Android system trust me.

roro808

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Ive read that people found out it was a calendar sync with their work calendar (outlook?) that was draining their battery. I would check what's syncing.

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
1)take a look at your battery usage on your Battery Indicator (swipe down & click on your %charge icon)
2)If problematic - e.g. bulk of battery life is being wasted on "cell standby" for instance, swap out your SIM card (at Verizon store) until you find one that locks onto the 4G signals & knows how to hand-off to 3G & backnforth without losing signal (there are both bad & good SIM cards out there)
3)learn to bump charge (search this forum)
4)try the Seidio's 3800mAh battery (condition it properly)
5)eliminate apps that are acting vampiral

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
here's an example of my typical daily battery usage at end of my work day consisting of fairly heavy use of phone, email, texts, internet searching etc:

Screenshot_2012-04-19-17-09-51.png

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
here's an example of my typical daily battery usage at end of my work day consisting of fairly heavy use of phone, email, texts, internet searching etc:

Click to view quoted image

Looks good. Is this a stock GN battery? What software are you on?
(I am exhausting all efforts before I return my GN. My wife is pressuring me to keep my RAZR Maxx, but I don't know... there is something I am drawn to on the GN and I think it is the easy root-ability. Anyway, I'd love to make it work if I can and all these tips help).
Thanks!

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using 4.0.2, the 3800mAh Seidio about a month old battery, well conditioned.

I had to swap out 3 different SIM cards to find one that locks onto celltower signal - I determined that searching for signal ate of my battery life more than any other activity. Once my signal hand-offs and all were good, my battery life tripled at least.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using 4.0.2, the 3800mAh Seidio about a month old battery, well conditioned.

I had to swap out 3 different SIM cards to find one that locks onto celltower signal - I determined that searching for signal ate of my battery life more than any other activity. Once my signal hand-offs and all were good, my battery life tripled at least.

He is on WiFi. If he was on straight 3g data it wouldn't be that good. Sorry to burst everyones bubble.