Navigation, Voice and Bluetooth question

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I use the navigation constantly and it becomes annoying when someone calls me and all of a sudden I can't see where I am going and at the same time someone is trying to tell me something the navigation also wants to talk.

If I get a Bluetooth headset I know that I can quickly switch back my view to the map when someone calls (obviously) but my question is in the sound department.

Will my phone dictate the directions from its speaker while I hear voice through the headset? Or will both the voice and navigation come through the headset? Or will voice come through and the navigation gets muted?

Thanks in advance.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could answer that, though my situation is very close, it is different enough I don't think my observations are enough. That said...

So long as you do not connect the BT headphones for audio, just BT phone use, I think the Nav voice will come out of the phone. In my setup where my phone connects to the car via BT for both phone and media, the voice comes over the speakers of the car just like the phone audio does. I do not have an ear tumor to test with, but surely someone here can help out to confirm!

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a resp that I hope answers your question, because obviously you don't want to use a dedicatedGPS unit(I am finding that the phone actually is much more responsive than Magellan/Garmin. Also much better for points of interest since they are direct from google search, not some 2 year old database)

Most BT headsets do not have the profile to get the audio from the Navigation, music etc. So by default, you will get the phone from the headset and the nav from the speaker. If that's how you like it, you should not have a problem.

I wanted to get the navigation from the headset(primarily because the speaker just isn't loud enough to reach my ear in a noisy car). Then I needed to get BT w/A2DP profile capability as per some help I got on this forum. With those you can set them up to get everything through the headset. Should your headset have the a2dp profile, just don't activate it and you won't get anything other than calls through it.

That at least is my exp.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a ton guys, I have a dedicated GPS (Garmin) but never waste time setting it up because Google's navigation is quicker easier and superior. I am going to go get a Bluetooth headset in the morning and make sure it doesn't support a2dp. Again thanks a lot for the info.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My bt has the ability to turn off sounds from non-voice applications. And yes I talk over navi all the time, it's odd because they can't hear the navi only you can.

ByteMaster0

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Even if your headset only supports the hands free profile, and not A2DP, you *will* hear directions over the headset. Calling party will not. Note that if a phonecall comes in, and your headset *is* using A2DP, it will automatically switch to the hands free profile. Either case, you will hear directions properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87