Questions about Rooting and Bootloader for Verizon Note2

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of Rooting my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, mainly because of the problems I hearing with the 4.3 update rolling out on the 29th of this month. I've rooted my galaxy note 10.1 a couple of times, ran into some problems, but got through them with the help of people on XDA forums. I only did it to try the multi window app, but the main app I wanted, didn't work with Multi window (Draw Something). So I returned back to stock.

Here are the reasons I want to Root. I'd like to be able to wait awhile and see if others are having problems with the 4.3 update on their phones, then install if everything is okay. I've never had any problems with past phones having updates, My Droid X and Galaxy S lll. I'd also like to be able to use Google Wallet, not interested in ISIS. I have the app, but no Tap to Pay. I've seen that there is a way to do it on XDA if Rooted, but not sure it will work. I can also load a 4.4 Rom and that should allow it to work from what I've read. Lastly maybe to use the multi window app. That's a maybe, because prefer the multi window on my Note 10.1 much better than on the smaller Note 8 and 2. So those are the 3 reasons I want to root.

I see the method on here to Root also unlocks the Bootloader. I'm not sure what the advantages are to doing this and why I should need to for the reasons I posted above to root. If I do use that method and decide I don't want to stay rooted, I want to be sure I can get everything back to Official Stock and the Bootloader back locked. Is that even Possible?
Here are my questions:

1. Is there just a one click method to Root without unlocking the Bootloader? As I've said, not sure I need to unlock bootloader for the things I want to do with root.

2. If I use the method posted on the thread on this forum and Root and Unlock the Bootloader, Is it possible to return back to stock and get the Status of the device to Official and Count back to zero or none? Just in case I have problems with my phone and have to return it to Best Buy to get looked at.

3. Is it for sure that Google Wallet will work being rooted and flashing a 4.4 Rom or another method posted on XDA?

4. If I decide not to Root and take the 4.3 update and then do start to have problems with my phone, does anyone know if there will be a Root Method or Way to flash back to 4.1.2 which is the current version I have on my phone?

5. Is it for sure the Note 2 is going to get the 4.4 update? Maybe I can just wait and be patient, but would like to use Google Wallet. I hate having these cool features on your phone and not being able to take advantage of them, especially because Verizon blocked it.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help you peeps can give me. I'm just nervous because my phone is only about a month or so old, so not sure what to do yet, Root or just take the update.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I will try to answer your questions. I suggest you read the tutorials, and then read them again. YouTube is a good source for how to videos.

1. Is there just a one click method to Root without unlocking the Bootloader? As I've said, not sure I need to unlock bootloader for the things I want to do with root.

Yes. It's called Casual.

2. If I use the method posted on the thread on this forum and Root and Unlock the Bootloader, Is it possible to return back to stock and get the Status of the device to Official and Count back to zero or none? Just in case I have problems with my phone and have to return it to Best Buy to get looked at.

I believe you will need to Odin back to stock. As for resetting the flash counter, I've heard there is an app that will reset the counter.

3. Is it for sure that Google Wallet will work being rooted and flashing a 4.4 Rom or another method posted on XDA?

Google Wallet works on CM11, which is based on Kit Kat 4.4.

4. If I decide not to Root and take the 4.3 update and then do start to have problems with my phone, does anyone know if there will be a Root Method or Way to flash back to 4.1.2 which is the current version I have on my phone?

Yes, but you will need to Odin back to stock.

5. Is it for sure the Note 2 is going to get the 4.4 update? Maybe I can just wait and be patient, but would like to use Google Wallet. I hate having these cool features on your phone and not being able to take advantage of them, especially because Verizon blocked it.

No. It is my understanding 4.3 will be the last official update for the Note 2. Any 4.4 roms will require an unlocked boot loader and root.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help you peeps can give me. I'm just nervous because my phone is only about a month or so old, so not sure what to do yet, Root or just take the update.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Lodingi, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, but I still don't know why I would need the Bootloader unlocked? I'd rather just simply Root and not unlock the bootloader, which Casual does. I'm having a hard time finding just a simple one click root for the Verizon Note 2 that doesn't include unlocking the bootloader. I've done some reading and it doesn't sound like it's easy to Lock the bootloader back up after it's unlocked.

I'm probably going to try the 4.3 update and if I don't like it, try ot go back to stock using Odin. I'm not really looking forward to the update after reading some of the issues it has. Will have to see though, maybe I will not have any issues. Crossing my fingers here.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
In case I have to return to stock and bring in, because of problems with the phone. I believe I read that they will know you messed with the phone if the Bootloader is Unlocked.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
When you odin back to stock, it locks the boot loader. As an aside, I've returned many an unlocked phone without penalty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, thanks for the help. I'm just about to try and use the Casual method of Rooting. Not hearing good things about the update and was hoping for the Note 3 S Pen functions which is doesn't seem to have, so going to pass on it if I can. Thanks again for your help. May need it later if I have any problems.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, it took me a few times, but got it rooted and unlocked. I like how the Casual apk does it all itself. I was unsure how to get out of TWRP, but did a backup and then it restarted phone and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the help Lodingi. I'm happy with the way the phone is running with 4.1.2. I can wait awhile before wanting to get any other updates.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
No, actually haven't even loaded any root apps yet. I'm not sure if I'll install any Roms yet. I did the German version of 4.1.2 on my Note 10.1, before the US version came out. It worked great on my tablet. Then flashed back to ICS, so I could get the US version. So have flashed a Rom before. Not sure where to go with any yet.

Looks like from what I read, I didn't need to rush to root, because the 4.3 update didn't come out as planned. LOL. It's okay though. I like the way my phone works now. I did try to load the Multi Window Manager app, but not quite sure how that gets set up. Seemed much easier on my Note 10.1.
I also have some questions, so might PM you just to ask a few.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I went ahead and flashed the AT&T 4.3 port. So far it's running real well. I currently have zero issues. The Air Command feature is also working well. We'll see how stable this rom is over the couple days. By then the Verizon release will available.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk