"SD card unexpectedly removed"

Tanooki2

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I am having this problem on Day 2 of my second GN2 (first one crashed on concrete and I got a replacement phone through insurance). I'm using a SanDisk 32gb class 10 card and had no issues in my first GN2. The message has popped up three times today when waking up the phone.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
it seems to come up a lot when you are waking the phone from sleep

i saw instructions on another forum where you have to disassemble the device and push down on the ribbon connecting the sd card reader

...very annoying problem especially given the fact that the phone only has 16gb of memory internally

nohbody

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem with my 32GB card after flashing an update to CleanROM. Copied my data to a computer and formatted the card as FAT32 instead of exFAT like I had originally. No problems since.

I believe this limits files to less than four gee bees though. May try ext4 and see if it works properly.

dombosc

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had this problem a few times but only since I upgraded to ICS. Also haver had a few other issues like apps being uninstalled, Chrome freezing and rebooting the phone.

So, I don't think this a hardware problem

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes this just started happening to me but it was okay until I transferred a bunch of movie and photo files from my internal card to my external SD card.

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I have had my phone since launch day and this just started happening this week. I have a sandisk 32gb ultra class 10 card. I have factory reset as well as format the card. I even went as far as tightening the screws on the back of the phone and still no luck. Has anyone had a success fixing this?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I have also noticed that when this occurs my phone storage screen goes crazy. It has said up to 40gigs for pic and vids and we know that is not possible. Right now I have no pics or vids on my internal card and this is what it is reporting.
u5ygered.jpg

Should I request for a replacement?

nexususer99

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone since launch day and this just started happening this week. I have a sandisk 32gb ultra class 10 card. I have factory reset as well as format the card. I even went as far as tightening the screws on the back of the phone and still no luck. Has anyone had a success fixing this?

This. I have a quality scandisk 32gb class 10. Used with no problem for almost a month, and I just started getting the same "preparing the sd card" notification every time I wake up the phone. There is no way that everyone's SD cards are all of a sudden suffering mechanical issues. This HAS to be a software issue. I'm not going to bother with replacing or reformatting the card or anything like that as from the other responses that's not a permanent fix. Samsung needs to jump on this and fix it on the software side...

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
This. I have a quality scandisk 32gb class 10. Used with no problem for almost a month, and I just started getting the same "preparing the sd card" notification every time I wake up the phone. There is no way that everyone's SD cards are all of a sudden suffering mechanical issues. This HAS to be a software issue. I'm not going to bother with replacing or reformatting the card or anything like that as from the other responses that's not a permanent fix. Samsung needs to jump on this and fix it on the software side...

I have seen on a thread on xda that the culprit is actually seeming to be the sandisk cards. They use a different format (UHS-I) than many other cards. Sandisk also has weird partitioning on some of its cards. I went to Best Buy yesterday and was able to pick up a 32gb class 10 PNY card for 29.99. So far I'm on my 14th hour with no message or SD card problems. I also recall seeing a thread where sandisk admitted to be having problems with Samsung mobile devices. I am not saying who's at fault here but it does seem to be a compatibility issue.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I have seen on a thread on xda that the culprit is actually seeming to be the sandisk cards. They use a different format (UHS-I) than many other cards. Sandisk also has weird partitioning on some of its cards. I went to Best Buy yesterday and was able to pick up a 32gb class 10 PNY card for 29.99. So far I'm on my 14th hour with no message or SD card problems. I also recall seeing a thread where sandisk admitted to be having problems with Samsung mobile devices. I am not saying who's at fault here but it does seem to be a compatibility issue.

That price wasn't on sale was it? That would be a steal if so. The website shows the pny for 69.99

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have seen on a thread on xda that the culprit is actually seeming to be the sandisk cards.

That may be so, but what's weird is that it's happening to all of us (Sandisk card owners) at the same time.

I'm probably not alone in saying that I've had my 32GB card since I got the phone (Nov 29) and have had NO issues until recently!!

Let's hope it's a Samsung issue that gets resolved soon!!

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the partitioning/formatting. The card is dying. Got the message for 3 days then the card is unreadable. Dead. Not recognized in pc or phone. Something is messing up the cards, either software or hardware related. I popped in a card (same brand & size) from my TF300T & no problems, been a week now. Both cards are SanDisk Xtreme 32g class 10.

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the partitioning/formatting. The card is dying. Got the message for 3 days then the card is unreadable. Dead. Not recognized in pc or phone. Something is messing up the cards, either software or hardware related. I popped in a card (same brand & size) from my TF300T & no problems, been a week now. Both cards are SanDisk Xtreme 32g class 10.

Thanks I'll try another Sandisk card I have and see if this is the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa