So Upsetting! Spoke w/VZW Rep...

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I believe AZSALUKI is correct! We just can't upgrade the unlimited lines at all or you lose the unlimited! They will now allow Transfering an upgrade from unlimited line to a dumb line!

I agree that it is miserable that vzw has done this and isn't giving its existing customers Anything for being loyal. My entire extended family has been with them over 11 years!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

This has been done many times and covered in many posts. It can be done. Some will tell you no others will tell you yes. I've done it twice personally and I've done it 2 more times with my girlfriend's account.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

watergates1

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. As Bond32 stated, however, there are still some reps that may be able to help. I went to my Best Buy and they said no, they couldn't do it. I then went to Target and their rep said yeah, they could.

Obviously I'm going to Target.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This has been done many times and covered in many posts. It can be done. Some will tell you no others will tell you yes. I've done it twice personally and I've done it 2 more times with my girlfriend's account.

Bond, sorry if it has been said how to do this, but could you please be so kind as to state how you accomplished upgrading your unlimited lines. I have:

2 Thunderbolts unlimited, both are upgrade in Feb.

1 dumb phone upgrade in Aug.

I have also heard if you don't upgrade and your line becomes out of contract, vzw can make any changes they want....so sounds like they could just pull the unlimited anyway?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
You need to do this. Be very clear what you want done and it's to preserve unlimited data. For the first you need to have the rep transfer the upgrade to the basic line, upgrade that line to the new phone (say the note 2), then activated it on that basic line number. Then have the rep move the old phone that was first on the basic line, back then activate the new note 2 on the unlimited data line (can normally use your old sim card but the thunderbolt uses a different size sim card). Make sure they know how important keeping unlimited data is. Should be able to repeat for the other line as well. Don't forget to make sure they cancel any data package that was needed to add to the basic line.

As a side note if cooperate stores aren't willing to help you, especially considering they are all idiots who work there and all they know is how to sell an iphone, you can go to a 3rd party retailer. Tell the 3rd party you want to upgrade but you can't loose unlimited data. Sometimes they will be willing to do this loop hole or even a loop hole of their own to sell you a phone because they make more commission than a cooperate store.

Edit: just read the rest of your post. You won't be able to do this till your upgrade date in Feb. Also you are correct about VZW removing unlimited data. Should they decide to do this and you're out of contract, say you just paid full price for the note 2 then they remove unlimited data, you are royally screwed. But if you do what I posted, anytime you do an alternative upgrade (the VZW term for all for all of this) you resign a contract for 2 years under your old terms. So if you move an upgrade from unlimited you resign the contract for 2 years at those terms. If they decide to drop unlimited data all together before those 2 years are up, it breaks your contract entirely and you are free to walk away with no early termination.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You need to do this. Be very clear what you want done and it's to preserve unlimited data. For the first you need to have the rep transfer the upgrade to the basic line, upgrade that line to the new phone (say the note 2), then activated it on that basic line number. Then have the rep move the old phone that was first on the basic line, back then activate the new note 2 on the unlimited data line (can normally use your old sim card but the thunderbolt uses a different size sim card). Make sure they know how important keeping unlimited data is. Should be able to repeat for the other line as well. Don't forget to make sure they cancel any data package that was needed to add to the basic line.

As a side note if cooperate stores aren't willing to help you, especially considering they are all idiots who work there and all they know is how to sell an iphone, you can go to a 3rd party retailer. Tell the 3rd party you want to upgrade but you can't loose unlimited data. Sometimes they will be willing to do this loop hole or even a loop hole of their own to sell you a phone because they make more commission than a cooperate store.

Edit: just read the rest of your post. You won't be able to do this till your upgrade date in Feb. Also you are correct about VZW removing unlimited data. Should they decide to do this and you're out of contract, say you just paid full price for the note 2 then they remove unlimited data, you are royally screwed. But if you do what I posted, anytime you do an alternative upgrade (the VZW term for all for all of this) you resign a contract for 2 years under your old terms. So if you move an upgrade from unlimited you resign the contract for 2 years at those terms. If they decide to drop unlimited data all together before those 2 years are up, it breaks your contract entirely and you are free to walk away with no early termination.

Ok, just to be clear, you mean, go to a VZW 'Corporate' store first, if they don't help, go to a 3rd party like Best Buy?

In theory, it sounds good, but 'IF' they would allow/do transfer of unlimited upgrade to the dumb line which is not upgrade available till Aug. Then it seems to me that the dumb line upgrade would be 'Used' and not available again for 18-20 months?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, just to be clear, you mean, go to a VZW 'Corporate' store first, if they don't help, go to a 3rd party like Best Buy?

In theory, it sounds good, but 'IF' they would allow/do transfer of unlimited upgrade to the dumb line which is not upgrade available till Aug. Then it seems to me that the dumb line upgrade would be 'Used' and not available again for 18-20 months?

Try it at the cooperate store first. Also yes I think the upgrade resets with the basic line (at least that's what happened with me) although in theory it should reset to Aug. You could perhaps call *611 after its all said and done and get that sorted out.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You're not the only one going through it right now. I'm also trying to figure out if I'll be able to keep my unlimited when I upgrade in 2 weeks. Here's the skinny... I'm on a shared plan with my wife right now. Currently we have 3 lines, with one being a dummy line that was created in Sept. so my wife could grab the S3. Well, now her original upgrade is the one that I'll be taking. (My upgrade isn't until Oct.)

In theory, shouldn't I be able to upgrade that line with the N2, keep unlimited, and just have another dummy line if need be? I really wanna keep my unlimited if I can, especially since this phone is awesome and I know I'm going to use a lot of data. However, I've already mentally prepared myself to spend a little extra dough if I have to spring for a larger data plan.

*sigh* Damn you VZW for making your customers jump through hoops just because we're trying to keep something you already gave us. Freakin' Indian givers.

Your wife would lose her unlimited if you take her upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I've read enough posts from people that say they actually did transfer from an unlimited to a different line and kept unlimited that I'm going to try it in a couple months when I finally find a phone I want for my wife (she thinks the note 2 is too big).

Yes, there are lots of people who *claim* you will lose unlimited, but I trust the people who actually *did* it more. Alot of people are simply parroting what other people have said or what a rep has told them. The key is actually transferring the upgrade via the upgrade transfer tool online and NOT just using the upgrade on the unlimited line as is and just activating the phone on the dumb phone line.
1. Transfer the upgrade off the unlimited line to your dumbphone line using online tool (or rep if you trust them -- I don't)
2. Order new phone from dumbphone line via website (same comment about rep applies here)
3. Activate the new smartphone on the dumbphone line (ditto)
4. Re-activate the dumbphone on the dumbphone line.
5. Activate the new smartphone on the unlimited line.

Yes, the contract date on the unlimited line will be extended 2 years. However, it makes sense that unlimited wouldn't drop off since you are only making plan changes on the dumbphone line.

Yes its a risk, but much less so than spending $600+ buying outright and having the possibility of Verizon cancelling unlimited anyway. Yes, I do think it is a loophole that eventually might be closed. But it seems like bad word of mouth from un-informed reps will make it so they don't need to close it since everyone is afraid to try.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Then it seems to me that the dumb line upgrade would be 'Used' and not available again for 18-20 months?

It wouldn't be a "transfer" if using it reset 2 lines contracts. From what I have read, even though you "transfer" the upgrade, the line that had eligibility will have its contract extended by 2 years. The line you transferred to will have no effect on contract dates for that line.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've read enough posts from people that say they actually did transfer from an unlimited to a different line and kept unlimited that I'm going to try it in a couple months when I finally find a phone I want for my wife (she thinks the note 2 is too big).

Yes, there are lots of people who *claim* you will lose unlimited, but I trust the people who actually *did* it more. Alot of people are simply parroting what other people have said or what a rep has told them. The key is actually transferring the upgrade via the upgrade transfer tool online and NOT just using the upgrade on the unlimited line as is and just activating the phone on the dumb phone line.
1. Transfer the upgrade off the unlimited line to your dumbphone line using online tool (or rep if you trust them -- I don't)
2. Order new phone from dumbphone line via website (same comment about rep applies here)
3. Activate the new smartphone on the dumbphone line (ditto)
4. Re-activate the dumbphone on the dumbphone line.
5. Activate the new smartphone on the unlimited line.

Yes, the contract date on the unlimited line will be extended 2 years. However, it makes sense that unlimited wouldn't drop off since you are only making plan changes on the dumbphone line.

Yes its a risk, but much less so than spending $600+ buying outright and having the possibility of Verizon cancelling unlimited anyway. Yes, I do think it is a loophole that eventually might be closed. But it seems like bad word of mouth from un-informed reps will make it so they don't need to close it since everyone is afraid to try.

What you're saying sounds great, and I have seen others say they have done this, BUT, I have heard others say that they lost thier unlimited by doing this....

When logging into my account online at VZW, I don't find the 'Upgrade Transfer Tool' you are referring to?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
What you're saying sounds great, and I have seen others say they have done this, BUT, I have heard others say that they lost thier unlimited by doing this....

When logging into my account online at VZW, I don't find the 'Upgrade Transfer Tool' you are referring to?

It's not easy to find. I have never used it but maybe someone could post a ss?

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It wouldn't be a "transfer" if using it reset 2 lines contracts. From what I have read, even though you "transfer" the upgrade, the line that had eligibility will have its contract extended by 2 years. The line you transferred to will have no effect on contract dates for that line.

Well, if this works, then I should be able to 'transfer' both of my unlimited upgrades of Tbolts at separate times to the one dumb line, switching the devices then keeping unlimited on both phones and have two new GN2's keeping unlimited on both and keeping on contract with my 2 unlimited lines.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just had a chat online with VZW and they say if I Transfer the unlimited line to my basic line I would Not lose my unlimited data, only the contract date would extend!!! Just like phantomog, and Bond32 said!!!! Thank you both and everyone else who said this can be done!! I will update you once I am able to do this on 2-5-13!! Below is the entire chat session.....I only removed the personal information I was asked for.

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:01 PM
To:
Subject: Transcript of your chat

General Info
Chat start time
Jan 19, 2013 5:40:51 PM EST
Chat end time
Jan 19, 2013 6:00:46 PM EST
Duration (actual chatting time)
00:19:54
Operator
Bentley

Chat Transcript
info: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative, we appreciate your patience. Your current estimated wait time is 0 min 1 secs.
info:
Add a tablet to the Share Everything plan for only $10/mo ? no contract commitment - data only plans starting at $30 monthly access! Ask me how.

Your RealTime session ID is RT9287893858.
You are now chatting with 'Bentley '
Bentley : Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hi this is Margie, I cant seem to find the 'Transfer Upgrade' Tool, can you please tell me where to find it in my online account? thank you so much
Bentley : I'd be happy to assist you.
You: thank you Bently
Bentley : May I have your full name and 10 digit mobile number so I can better assist you?
You:
Bentley : thank you
Bentley : Could you verify the billing password for me please?
You:
Bentley : On your My Verizon, do you see the option of Get Upgrade Status?
Bentley : Do you see the Get Upgrade Status on your My Verizon?
You: one moment please
Bentley : Sure thing!
You: yes, just clicked it
You: ok....
Bentley : Great!
Bentley : Now it will show all the lines, correct?
You: I am so sorry but I just realized it probably is not there because my upgrade isn?t till 2-5-13
Bentley : Correct
You: ok may I ask you one more question please!
Bentley : Sure thing!
You: if I transfer one of my unlimited data lines to my basic line will I lose unlimited data on that line?
Bentley : You will not lose unlimited data if you transfer the upgrade
You: ok please forgive me, but are you absolutely certain that I would not lose my unlimited data if I transfer my upgrade to the basic line?
Bentley : Yes, the only thing that would change is the upgrade date
You: correct, so my unlimited data would stay and my contract would then be extened for 2 yrs. on the unlimited line....no changes are made to the basic line, correct?
Bentley : Correct
Bentley : The only thing that woudl change would be the upgrade dates
You: Thank you so much Bently! I really appreciate your help today and I hope you have a great weekend!!
Bentley : It was my pleasure!!
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to danhoffs@cox.net at the end of your chat.
Bentley : Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it?s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my wife's line via Target to avoid losing my unlimited on our plan. That enabled her to keep her old 4g for 2g allowance and my unlimited. It is also usually cheaper to use another retailer, such as Amazon, Best Buy or Target, because their sales on the device itself are often more competitive.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If you upgrade on a dumb phone (whether a transferred upgrade or not), there's no "unlimited data" plan to lose. If all you have is two phones both with unlimited data, whichever phone you upgrade will lose the unlimited data.

I thought this horse had been beaten to death already, but apparently the glue factory is still looking for feedstock.

droid7437

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
well i have to tell you that you rt i have 3 lines unlimity and i work for verizon fios i not giving it up too but is a look hole if you have a not smart cell on you acount do the upgrade activated it them change you sim card back and put it on back if you need help email me and we get it done here in florida good luck is who you know

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Its just easier to do it online. Transfer the upgrade. Get the phone. Reactivate the dumb phone and activate the new phone on your line. Just did my dads. Still has his unlimited.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
GregMar....I remember reading something to that effect of allowing buyers to pay the phone off over time...but isn't that exactly what happens now? A portion of your monthly rate is the cost of the phone over time. So the net effect is no change. Except that the consumer would have the choice to finance the phone or take the lower priced service plan. My guess is that most will finance the phone and thus be locked into a contract. So the more things change the more they stay the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Its just easier to do it online. Transfer the upgrade. Get the phone. Reactivate the dumb phone and activate the new phone on your line. Just did my dads. Still has his unlimited.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

When you went through the process online, did the new phone show up on the basic/dumb line at all? As in did you have to activate the new phone on the other line then put the old phone back to the basic line.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, to be completely safe you need to activate the new phone on the dumb phone line first. Then re-activate the dumb phone. Then finally activate the new phone on the unlimited line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress