How to bring up Google Now

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
My wife just moved from a Galaxy Nexus to a Note 2. On the Nexus the best way to get into Google Now was to swipe up from the home button. This gesture worked in any app or home screen. She could get to Google Now whenever she wanted.

On the Note 2 the only way she's been able to figure out how to get to Google Now is to tap on the search bar on the home screen. And, when she does that it brings up Google Now with the keyboard covering half the screen. Since there's a hard button home screen there's no way to swipe up from the home button. Is there another way to quickly get to Google Now even when in apps?

Thanks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife just moved from a Galaxy Nexus to a Note 2. On the Nexus the best way to get into Google Now was to swipe up from the home button. This gesture worked in any app or home screen. She could get to Google Now whenever she wanted.

On the Note 2 the only way she's been able to figure out how to get to Google Now is to tap on the search bar on the home screen. And, when she does that it brings up Google Now with the keyboard covering half the screen. Since there's a hard button home screen there's no way to swipe up from the home button. Is there another way to quickly get to Google Now even when in apps?

Thanks.

Press and hold home button when the app list pops up there is an option just above the home button that says google. Just select that

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You can also download another launcher that allows you to set your own gesture controls. I use Nova launcher. I set it so that swype up opens Google Now.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Just put the icon in the middle.
Sent by Accident

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362442869307.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362442869307.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 150

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If your using Google apps for business for your Google account you will need to go in the settings (in your domain settings) and allow "Google now" to work. It's a Google apps thing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Just put the icon in the middle.
Sent by Accident

That's an idea but it presumes that I'm at the home screen. I want it available on any screen and in any app. That, of course, is the beauty of having a soft home button.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That's an idea but it presumes that I'm at the home screen. I want it available on any screen and in any app. That, of course, is the beauty of having a soft home button.

If you hold the home button down is available from any app

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
If you hold the home button down is available from any app

Ok, I'll be real specific. Here's a real life example.

I have a Galaxy Nexus. When I turn on the phone (without a lock screen) I can swipe up and it brings up Google Now voice search. I can talk to voice search and get a response. Why is this important? Here's something I do a lot. I'm in the car, I pick up the phone, turn it on, swipe up and say, "Navigate to xxx". It does a Google search, brings up maps and starts navigation. This all happens without me ever looking at the screen and with only 1 swipe. And, in fact, if there's bright sunlight on the screen I may not be able to see the screen anyway.

Is there a way to do this on the Note? If not, I'd consider the Note 2 a step down in features. I'm hoping there's a way because I'm thinking of getting one. However, the S4 looks to have soft buttons so it may be more promising.

If I could program the home button that would solve this. Can I do this in an alternate launcher? Say, long press on the home button brings up voice search?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I have a Galaxy Nexus. When I turn on the phone (without a lock screen) I can swipe up and it brings up Google Now voice search. I can talk to voice search and get a response. Why is this important? Here's something I do a lot. I'm in the car, I pick up the phone, turn it on, swipe up and say, "Navigate to xxx". It does a Google search, brings up maps and starts navigation. This all happens without me ever looking at the screen and with only 1 swipe. And, in fact, if there's bright sunlight on the screen I may not be able to see the screen anyway.

Is there a way to do this on the Note? If not, I'd consider the Note 2 a step down in features. I'm hoping there's a way because I'm thinking of getting one. However, the S4 looks to have soft buttons so it may be more promising.

If I could program the home button that would solve this. Can I do this in an alternate launcher? Say, long press on the home button brings up voice search?

Here is a video I made.
First from lock screen.
Second from within an app using home button.
Third from home screen long pressing back button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLgi2jCMZlM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I have Nova Launcher and just changed my home button to open my app drawer. You can set it to different applications as well.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Bombo_Strombo

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
With Nova Launcher I set the app drawer buttons swipe action to open Google Now, so when I swipe the app drawer icon up it opens it. Quick and easy. I love Google Now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
With Nova Launcher I set the app drawer buttons swipe action to open Google Now, so when I swipe the app drawer icon up it opens it. Quick and easy. I love Google Now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes. I recommended Nova Launcher in the 3rd post in this thread. It will allow the OP to do whatever they want. Has the OP tried this yet?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I can also suggest using the Widget Locker app. I use this and can open Google Now directly from the lock screen. That is nice when in the car. It's one swype and you're ready to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer