16 gb vs 32 gig

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello I currently have a Nexus obviously this is 32 gig. I don't have much of anything on it but I can't decide on the s3 !? I have an extra 32 gig SD card from my tbolt . How much is really required for on board space ? I remember it sucking when my of Droid needed to be cleared out due to space and wouldn't receive texts and so on. Thx for the input.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You could get by with 2 or 4 gigs of onboard space. I think the 16gb+64gb SD card is a better value, but that's just me. I currently have 16+32 on my Rezound and it's plenty.

viskey

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I used the $50 I saved on the phone and got the 64gb sandisk....50 for 64 is way better than 16. You'll still have 11gb of internal for apps that will never be filled

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

razortaz18

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I used the $50 I saved on the phone and got the 64gb sandisk....50 for 64 is way better than 16. You'll still have 11gb of internal for apps that will never be filled

The user manual says it will accept up to a 32gb card.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You'll still have 11gb of internal for apps that will never be filled

Perhaps.

NOVA 3 is clocking in at 2 GB. I see that trend continuing with blockbuster games. If you don't game that's probably not an issue, but if you do it is something to think about.

If you tend to swap SD cards between multiple devices, having the ability to keep all program data on the phone is a lot less hassle.

-Suntan

BostonBeats88

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I also thought I saw on this forum (so I could be wrong) that ICS does not allow apps to be moved to the SD.

Just another thing to consider.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Thx I may just go with the 32 for resale value. I live my gnex but the battery is killing me. 7 hours tops with 50% on wifi. I'm really hoping this turn out much better on verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I just checked the manual on the Samsung site and it does indeed say 32 gb is the max for the SD card. Why are all the reviews saying 64 gb max?

From the manual:
Insert a memory card (optional)
Your device accepts microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory
cards with maximum capacities of 32 GB (depending on the
memory card manufacturer and type).

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that about 5gb of the internal storage tends to be taken up for the system, and pre-reserved for apps. Thus, the 16GB version will have about 11GB actually available as storage, whereas the 32GB version will have about 27 available, which is obviously more than double. Of course the system will automatically reserve more as it starts to get filled with apps, so if you plan to use internal storage for the majority of your media, you definitely want the 32GB version.

16GB will be great as well, and does save some money. But $50 for more than double the storage doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, as it ensures that I won't run out of space for all the apps and games I want. I already have a 32gb Class4 card, but I went for the 32GB version. If you're like me, and have a huge music collection, a bunch of pictures, and a few movies on a large card, the 32GB version gives you the convenience to never have to think about deleting media you may want to keep, as you'll have enough internal to move your entire collection of one type of media or the other over from your card.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to whether you can spend another $50 now for peace of mind later, and if that's worth it to you. I've been saving up for awhile, and can carry around the Razr I'm using now as backup, instead of buying an extra battery and charger, which would have been around $50...

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Some have posted the internal storage is quicker. Any recommendations on what to put on the internal storage vs the SD card? I pre-ordered a 32 gb.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
But $50 for more than double the storage doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, as it ensures that I won't run out of space for all the apps and games I want.

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject too.

As it is now, I am running close to the limit with my 16GB Droid 3. I've had to drop a couple of albums from being available "off line" and had to clear out some of my older pictures/recorded video.

Having 32GB will allow me to install apps without worry, keep a couple hadfuls of music albums on-hand and not worry about taking pictures and videos. But still leave me the flexibility of loading my mSD cards up with videos and swap back and forth between tablet and phone at will.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Some have posted the internal storage is quicker. Any recommendations on what to put on the internal storage vs the SD card? I pre-ordered a 32 gb.

Leave all apps on the internal.

Media can go on the SD card. Both songs and video, doesn't matter. The mSD card (even a class 4 card) is more than fast enough to playback songs and videos.

-Suntan

Reactions: DianeR

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a ton of apps so I went with 16gb. I have extra sd cards laying around that I will use for media so I will have no problem with 16gb. To me the 32 gb was overkill since you can get an sd card for everything other than apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty