WiFi losing connection at random, needing toggle to reconnect?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: WiFi losing connection at random, needing toggle to reconnect

october!!! ya letting that info out should really help sales

That wifi fixer app seems to just toggle wifi for you, I see it saying poor reception then it turns it off/on and it reconnects, not sure of the effect it will have on battery life but I will likely just leave wifi off. verizon doesnt want to fix it then I will use their network more

I would bet this has to do with that stupid wifi crap they changed before the phone launched

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Suggestion (I am using Canadian phone equivalent to AT&T) but selections should be the same.

Phone pad type *#0011# then select left hand virtual key. select Wifi bottom of that list click power save mode to off. Then just back out of there. See how that helps it worked for my issues.

Of note when you turn off phone, and turn it back on you will have to reselect again.

I noticed above someone did try this without success but here is the method anyway.

Last edited:

allanmclovin

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

I have noticed this problem as well... Luckily it happens maybe once or twice a week so it hasn't been too bad. Just annoying when I know that my router is working fine but it says out of range. P

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site
It's happening to me with increasing frequency. I have no idea why because it happens when I stay in the exact same spot. I really hope they come out with a fix soon or one of you awesome people come up with another suggestion!

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

well for anyone who just wants to use wifi to save battery life, I am not noticing any difference having wifi shut off and leaving 3g/4g on all the time, I might shut 4g off and see if that helps battery life

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

oh well, you can forget what I said I still am having my issues of it going down. Had just not shown for a while after shutting off sleep mode

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

OK...It has only been 10 hours or so, but this app has seemed to fix my wifi issues:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=org.wahtod.wififixer&hl=en&token=iqwVQ18y

wifi fixer. I will post again in a day or two after I see if it has really fixed my connection problems.

update 7-17-2012
Still have the problem. Seems the wifi fixer app (above) helps some- but it is simply toggling wifi off/on until it gets a connection. I also used the option to turn wifi sleep mode off via the service menu (Phone pad type *#0011# then select left hand virtual key. select Wifi bottom of that list click power save mode to off). That also helps some- but does not fix the problem.

Where I live, 4g connectivity is not real good, that is why I use wifi while I am home. I hope we get a fix or work-around soon!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I don't know if this will help, but I went into my wifi settings and my network and the advanced settings. I found it had defaulted to DHCP (Dynamic). I switched it to "Static" and it seems to have resolved all my issues with it not reconnecting to my home and work networks.

Granted, it's only been a day, so I'm cautiously optimistic (but I previously haven't gone that long without a problem). We don't use Dynamic IPs, so I think that was probably my problem.

Reactions: judge34411

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if this will help, but I went into my wifi settings and my network and the advanced settings. I found it had defaulted to DHCP (Dynamic). I switched it to "Static" and it seems to have resolved all my issues with it not reconnecting to my home and work networks.

Granted, it's only been a day, so I'm cautiously optimistic (but I previously haven't gone that long without a problem). We don't use Dynamic IPs, so I think that was probably my problem.

Tell us how to is working after a day or so. Would love to hear your feedback.

Reactions: wahoobie

Stillmorningrise

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

My wife and I both got Samsung Galaxy S3 white 16gb models. Mine was perfect no issues at all. My wife's on the other hand did the wifi reconnect crap every minute. Her lock swipe screen would freeze up and her battery died after 5 hours of non usage. Needless to say I took it back and they did a backup/restore. I tried the dial #0011# fix and it worked temporarily.

After hassling with all that and still did the same thing I exchanged it for another S3 (blue this time since they were out of the white). Problem solved no issues and her new phone is perfectly fine! I'm guessing it's a software/hardware issue with some of the phones since mine didn't do this and my wife's phone did.

Frustrating either way, had to waste 2 hours of my day at the verizon store to finally just get it replaced.

I highly suggest if you are still in the 14 day return period do it and exchange it for another S3!

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site

I received my Verizon S3 blue 32 gig replacement phone yesterday. The wifi reception is a lot better and the battery life is better. I could barely hold onto 1 bar of wifi signal with the first phone, but now it is bouncing between 2 and 3 bars. I was having problems with blue tooth cutting off on the other phone also, but haven't tried it out yet with this new phone. Hopefully the improvements lasts.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

Mine used to do this too. It would just disconnect from my router randomly. Oddly enough, it has not done it since I flashed the rooted stock image. (the root66 one). Maybe a coincidence but it sure seems to be fixed for some reason.

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Anyone have updated information on the wifi issues? I dont get the "not in range" message, but i notice that i cant access data over wifi when the phone has been sitting a few minutes. It shows as connected to my network, but no data. The problem seems intermittent. Ive tried the *#0011# trick, but it interferes with the screen timeout function (the screen stays on permanently). Im using an airport extreme with several airport express extenders throughout the house. Thanks.

scuba561

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

Glad to hear your problems seemed to have gone away. Just to clarify, the settings change you talked about above are on your wifi router and not your phone, correct?

judge34411

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Maybe I am doing it wrong but when I select DHCP off on my DIR-825 I loose connection. Reenter my password on my phone and it just hangs for a while coming back signal to week. Besides which being cable my ip is always static except for the one time it assigns a new item. It does not change ip's mid stream. If it did all my computers would hang continually as well (or so, I would think).

That update sounds interesting, but alas, I am on Rogers here. An no update not even to remove internal search function.

vudugan

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site

I would suggest to try a factory data reset or Flash the image provided by Samsung for Verizon GS3 stock.

Had this issue after flashing the First root method and ran into this WiFi problem. After Reflashing Samsung/Verizon image to return to stock and factory data reset, issue was gone.

(Below not needed)
I then re-rooted with root66 image and WiFi is still strong, staying connected, reconnecting when within range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non