Disabling Mobile Data Connection?

Bunnee68

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Probably a newbie question (no, definitely a newbie question): What does the "disable mobile data connection" mean and what exactly does it do?

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much what it sounds like, disables data connection like syncing email, update notification, etc. Anything that uses 3g/4g data. 1x voice and sms will still work.

Bunnee68

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
So then, it shuts down all connections to the 3g and 4g networks, and I think that will save battery life and usage of my data plan? I just got this phone on Tuesday, and I'm seriously considering going to the "class" they are offering at Verizon. I'll feel silly, but maybe learn a lot. I'm new to using a phone to browse the internet (no, I'm not 98 years old) and not knowing how it works and how to stay within my limits is a little daunting. :confused:

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it will certainly keep your data use down while allowing text messages and phone calls to come in and go out.

Unless you download a lot of videos and stream music, it's pretty hard to go over the 2gb data limit some ppl have. I only use average 500mb a month, mostly using just browser and downloading non video files and applications.

Reactions: Bunnee68

Bunnee68

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I got the 2G plan, too, and everyone is telling me it's more than enough. I don't stream movies, but I might want to download music in the future. I'm still getting used to everything the phone can do. I'll probably download some games and other stuff, too, but don't want any surprise large bills, ya' know?

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I recommend going to the class if more people would be less self conscious about not understanding, things would get broke a great deal less. If you download a few songs (10-20) a month and don't stream anything over the network you should be more than OK. I average about 1.2gb a month if I am traveling and have limited access to WiFi. Meaning a YouTube video or 3, some offline cashing, navigation, music streaming/downloading, web browsing, and constant syncing of everything. If you try to tether you are more likely to hit your cap.

In other words you shouldn't need to disable data entirely and if you would feel safer try hitting the 2g service only option if you have it in your settings. Things will move slower but you have way more trouble hitting the cap.
I hope this helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus with 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the 2G plan, too, and everyone is telling me it's more than enough. I don't stream movies, but I might want to download music in the future. I'm still getting used to everything the phone can do. I'll probably download some games and other stuff, too, but don't want any surprise large bills, ya' know?

Under Menu>Settings>Data Usage, it will tell you what your data usage is (you can set your billing period). It will break down the usage by app. my my verizon app also tells data usage or you can also check online or calling in. Really, without streaming or heavy downloading, you will most likely not hit 2gb a month. with regard to downloading, if you are worried, just go home or to somewhere with wifi and download there.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess in a nutshell

-turning off mobile data will save you battery (i disable my data at night so i dont get email notifications and updates apss when i sleep)
-you probably wont go over the 2gb limit (theres a built in widget that has a status bar of your data usage. looks like dpham00's avatar)
-take the class if you think you think you will need more help

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Downloading music is fine, it's streaming music that might get you, but you would have to stream music a lot to go over 2gb.

A coworker streams music all work day long and uses about 6GB a month on her phone (original Incredible)

Yeah, 8 hrs a day of streaming music certainly qualifies as a lot. I stream Pandora at work 6 - 8 hrs a day, but I do it on my work PC. So does my boss, so far no problem from company IT.

Bunnee68

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies--I'm leaning towards going to the class. I also disable my data at night, but I do leave the phone on. I noticed how much I need to charge the battery--lots more than my previous phone. I'm glad it has a replaceable battery!

waynecloud

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
A related question: Under "settings" there is "data usage" which opens to "mobile data" (check box) and "set mobile data limit" Under "Settings" there is also "More Settings" which leads to "Mobile Networks". This in turn opens "Mobile Data" (check box) and Data Roaming" (check box). What is the differences in these 4 settings? I will be going to Europe and only want to use my phone for pictures, off-line map reading and emergency phone calls.