Can I talk and use internet or other apps at same time?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me if I'm misinformed, but I could of sworn I read that you can talk on the phone and do internet or other things at same time on Galaxy S3? If so, how do I go about doing this? Kind of new to this concept. I know people on the Iphones were able to do it.

a-dogg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I think you just do it. When you're on a call, hit the home button, then go into whatever app you want and surf away...

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
^ Pretty much yeah. I just put on the speakerphone (assuming I don't have my headset on) and I'm off and running doing other things with the phone.

Once you hit the home button, you can pull down the notification bar or click the phone icon to go back into the call screen (where you can hang up or mute or pull up the dialpad, etc).

draco947

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
You just exit out of the call app like you do any other app... hit the home button and navigate to whatever you want. This won't drop the call. It just puts the call app in the background while you're doing other things.

Last I checked, Verizon iPhones cannot do this. AT&T iPhones can, however. I believe it's because of a mix of things with Verizon's network and the radio that has to be used. I've heard it would work if it was 4G, but I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
As stated above, just hit the home button and go to whichever app you want. The notification bar will turn green to let you know you're still on the call and will show as a notification if you want to end the call or get back to the dialer. The GSIII is one of only a handful of Verizon devices that can also do voice and data over 3G (others are limited to only 4G). One limitation is that you can't be on a call and take a picture using the stock camera app (3rd party camera apps work fine) but other apps seem to work fine.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I thought we were able to do it on the phone. Just wasn't sure how to go about doing it. Appreciate the help.:)

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Can't use the camera for some odd reason. But just about everything else works fine. It started to work lime this when vze switched to LTE.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I thought we were able to do it on the phone. Just wasn't sure how to go about doing it. Appreciate the help.:)

You can do it in the middle of a phone call, just take the phone off your face in the middle of a call ( unless your on a blue tooth head set ), hit the home button and go to town with the phone.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
You just exit out of the call app like you do any other app... hit the home button and navigate to whatever you want. This won't drop the call. It just puts the call app in the background while you're doing other things.

Last I checked, Verizon iPhones cannot do this. AT&T iPhones can, however. I believe it's because of a mix of things with Verizon's network and the radio that has to be used. I've heard it would work if it was 4G, but I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

There's always something Verizon limits to their phones that other carriers don't.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
If you really want to know why and how this happens, without all the techie speak - - - -

Verizon's 3G data and voice network is CDMA, and only a device with SVDO technology can use voice and data at the same time (as opposed to the current standard EVDO) on CDMA. The first device to do this was the HTC Thunderbolt. The Galaxy S3 also has SVDO, so you can surf and talk at the same time if you have Verizon 3G service.

The VZW iPhone does not have SVDO, so it can't do it. The iPhone on ATT and Tmobile can do this, as those two carriers don't use CDMA - they use GSM, which can do voice and data already. I don't know why specifically, but just know that Tmo and ATT are GSM and Sprint and VZW are CDMA.

Finally, any 4G LTE enabled phone on verizon can do talk and data at the same time, as the data will run over the LTE network and the voice runs over CDMA. So, devices like the Moto Droid Razr and other LTE phones can do talk and data at the same time, but only if LTE service is available. If in a 3G-only area, the Droid Razr can't do talk and surf together.

Make sense?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If you really want to know why and how this happens, without all the techie speak - - - -

Verizon's 3G data and voice network is CDMA, and only a device with SVDO technology can use voice and data at the same time (as opposed to the current standard EVDO) on CDMA. The first device to do this was the HTC Thunderbolt. The Galaxy S3 also has SVDO, so you can surf and talk at the same time if you have Verizon 3G service.

The VZW iPhone does not have SVDO, so it can't do it. The iPhone on ATT and Tmobile can do this, as those two carriers don't use CDMA - they use GSM, which can do voice and data already. I don't know why specifically, but just know that Tmo and ATT are GSM and Sprint and VZW are CDMA.

Finally, any 4G LTE enabled phone on verizon can do talk and data at the same time, as the data will run over the LTE network and the voice runs over CDMA. So, devices like the Moto Droid Razr and other LTE phones can do talk and data at the same time, but only if LTE service is available. If in a 3G-only area, the Droid Razr can't do talk and surf together.

Make sense?

Yup, good stuff. The specific reason why only the Thunderbolt, Rezound, and S3 can do simultaneous voice and data (SVDO) on 3G is because they have an extra CDMA radio, one dedicated for voice, the other for 3G.

Reactions: anon(19759)

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yup, good stuff. The specific reason why only the Thunderbolt, Rezound, and S3 can do simultaneous voice and data (SVDO) on 3G is because they have an extra CDMA radio, one dedicated for voice, the other for 3G.

That was the case for the Thunderbolt and Rezound but not the SIII and Incredible 4G LTE. The latter group has a single chip that actually supports SVDO while the Thunderbolt and Rezound have the additional modem that offers 3G/4G data while the main chip can simultaneously provide 1x voice. Both work but with a slightly different setup and the single chip being more power efficient.

Reactions: anon(394005)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You can use LTE, run several devices on that and the device itself and make calls simultaneously...how is that for multitasking? :p

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried browsing while on the phone once. Couldn't figure out how to get back to the phone to hang up. :confused:

--Tapatalk on SGS3.