Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not recognize Samsung Galaxy SIII

USCTrojan4JC

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not recognize Samsung Galaxy S3

I have also been having this problem. My MacBook Air had been recognizing my Galaxy S3 using a USB cable and Android File Transfer. After recent updates on my MBA to Mountain Lion and an update on Galaxy S3, AFT no longer recognizes my phone. Various forums encourage me to use Kies Air, DropBox, or other wireless transfer or sync methods. I tried. It's either way too slow to transfer of large amounts of music folders or it places them in the wrong location on my phone. I just want AFT to work the way that it should. I finally found the answer on one of the many forums covering this problem. It's a very simple fix. It's only one or two things that you have to do but I'll carefully list all the substeps:

1. Disable or delete Kies Air. (You can always download it again once Samsung, Google, or Apple fixes the various protocol problems)
2. Make sure that you are running the latest version of Android File Transfer. My version, which works, is 1.0.50.2266. You can find AFT here: Android.com
3. Reboot your phone.
4. Unlock your phone or unlock the screen if your phone is locked
5. Connect your phone via the USB cable. The USB PC connection protocol should be MTP, not PTP, to have your phone recognized as a media device.
6. AFT should launch automatically but you may have to launch it manually once if it has not been launched before.
7. You should now see your phone's file system in AFT's window on your Mac.

This has been reported to work for everybody that has tried this fix. My suspicion is that it is Kies Air that grabs the USB connection event and then never passes it on. This would also explain why owners of other phones that do not use Kies have not been reporting this problem.

Now that I have AFT working as it should and I have an easy way of transfering and updating my file directories on my phone, I am a happy camper. Too bad that none of Apple, Samsung, or Google ever investigated this sufficiently to post a workaround sooner.

Never had Kies installed on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.5. Android File Transfer 1.0.50.2266 seems to have addressed the incompatibility. I am using a stock AT&T SGS3 (SGH-I747) on JB 4.1.1.

ufjay5

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I tried uninstalling Kies on my Mac running Mountain Lion and disabled Kies on my S3 (with TiBu) but I when I connect it I still get the message that AFT could not recognize my device? Any ides?

ZaChYmO

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm running 10.8.2.. After reading thread I tried clearing application>settings and still ADF didnt work. I had already deleted KIES but I had not properly Uninstalled it so I went pack and open Kies.dmg chose Unistall option and the result is that ATF now works flawlessly! Thnk you "Robsawalker" for you're advice. Is really that simple unistall Kies properly and ATF will work, by deleting App it does just that, it disappears and leaves App installed.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm running 10.8.2.. After reading thread I tried clearing application>settings and still ADF didnt work. I had already deleted KIES but I had not properly Uninstalled it so I went pack and open Kies.dmg chose Unistall option and the result is that ATF now works flawlessly! Thnk you "Robsawalker" for you're advice. Is really that simple unistall Kies properly and ATF will work, by deleting App it does just that, it disappears and leaves App installed.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Android file transfer on my Mac and it works no problem. Very simple, but easy to use and gets the job done. Of course this is an older Mac though..

Ted Yoder HD

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

This was stinking brilliant. Thank you. I love my mac computer but I love my Android phone. Nice to get them talking.

danieljh75

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

HAHAHA!

@Jmess82 -> I love my Macbook but your comment about tossing it out of the window made me laugh. Thanks for that. :D

For what it's worth, thank you for discovering the information regarding Samsung Keis. I've had the same problem on 10.8.2 and an AT&T i747. I downloaded the Keis.dmg and used the uninstaller. connected the S3 and the phone mounted instantly. I can't believe it. :-\ Keis, a real piece of crap. Than you again so much.

Last edited:

Queeg500

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I've just bought a Samsung S2 4G and couldn't connect it to my MacBook Pro running ML. I initially used AirDroid but then found a link about transferring music that fixed me up. I was missing mounting the USB storage on the phone. Once I had mounted the storage device, it came up as a mount on my desktop. Transferring was then easy as!

Here are the steps. I just clicked on notifications instead of dragging the menu bar down.

Once you plug the cable into your phone and computer, you will see a USB icon in the menu bar on your phone. Drag the menu bar down and you will uncover a ?USB Connected? message. When you tap this message, a dialog box will pop up asking ?Mount? or ?Don?t Mount.? You want to select ?Mount,? which will transfer files from your computer to your phone?s SD card.

Next, you need to open your USB drive on your computer. A dialog box may pop up asking what you want to do with the new hardware, in which case you should click ?Open Folder to View Files.? If a dialog box does not shw up, you can go to the Start Menu, My Computer, and double click on ?Removable Disk.? You should see a folder titled ?Music,? but if not, just create your own.

Here is the URL for this article. How To Transfer Music To Your Android Phone - Add MP3 Files To Your Android Phone | TalkAndroid.com

Hope this helps anyone out there struggling AFT.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I've just bought a Samsung S2 4G and couldn't connect it to my MacBook Pro running ML. I initially used AirDroid but then found a link about transferring music that fixed me up. I was missing mounting the USB storage on the phone. Once I had mounted the storage device, it came up as a mount on my desktop. Transferring was then easy as!

Here are the steps. I just clicked on notifications instead of dragging the menu bar down.

Once you plug the cable into your phone and computer, you will see a USB icon in the menu bar on your phone. Drag the menu bar down and you will uncover a ?USB Connected? message. When you tap this message, a dialog box will pop up asking ?Mount? or ?Don?t Mount.? You want to select ?Mount,? which will transfer files from your computer to your phone?s SD card.

Next, you need to open your USB drive on your computer. A dialog box may pop up asking what you want to do with the new hardware, in which case you should click ?Open Folder to View Files.? If a dialog box does not shw up, you can go to the Start Menu, My Computer, and double click on ?Removable Disk.? You should see a folder titled ?Music,? but if not, just create your own.

Here is the URL for this article. How To Transfer Music To Your Android Phone - Add MP3 Files To Your Android Phone | TalkAndroid.com

Hope this helps anyone out there struggling AFT.
What Android version is your S2 4G running? For the Verizon S3 with Android 4.1.1 (Jellybean) the USB Mount options don't appear in the pulldown menu - although I wish they did.
The last section in blue looks to me like its written for a Windows system and not a Mac. Good info for the Windows users, but may not help on the Mac side of the house.

kenspocket

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Perhaps same problem that is effecting mounting SD cards , cameras etc .

1) Remove SD Card

2) In Terminal enter killall -KILL Finder

3) Safeboot / boot holding "Shift" , Reboot normally.

4) Put in SD Card

5:)

tweet if this works for you @kenspocket

jez_tranter

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Are you guys sure this is not simply a driver issue.

My wife was having heaps of trouble connecting her Galaxy S3 to our Mac (10.8.2).

I finally solved it with this solution:

1. Install Kies (I did this with the unzip package trick mentioned earlier in this thread)
  2. Open Kies and Click Tools>Install Driver

This seems to solve the issue of Kies not connecting and with Android File Transfer not detecting a device. It would also explain why some have trouble and others not (if the driver had previously been installed)

On a side note to Dog5000 - your method of using USB Mass Storage was available on the Galaxy S2 - but no longer on the S3. It seems Samsung have gone completely to MTP with no Mass Storage option...

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Are you guys sure this is not simply a driver issue.

My wife was having heaps of trouble connecting her Galaxy S3 to our Mac (10.8.2).

I finally solved it with this solution:

1. Install Kies (I did this with the unzip package trick mentioned earlier in this thread)
  2. Open Kies and Click Tools>Install Driver

This seems to solve the issue of Kies not connecting and with Android File Transfer not detecting a device. It would also explain why some have trouble and others not (if the driver had previously been installed)

On a side note to Dog5000 - your method of using USB Mass Storage was available on the Galaxy S2 - but no longer on the S3. It seems Samsung have gone completely to MTP with no Mass Storage option...

Cool. That's what I thought when Qeeg500 posted the details. Nice reminder about installing the drivers. I moved Kies over to my Windows 7 VM. As long as the VM is not running I should be fine.

thebandito

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You should utilize either the Google Music cloud (which allows for you to store 20,000 in their cloud for free) or the download the doubletwist player and the $4.99 doubletwist airsync app. I would go with Google Music because you access all your music library from any browser on any computer.

kocharlotteko

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

I think if you go to Android.com , then you can download the file, open it, and it will work. Hope this helps you. Also, if that doesn't work, I hear Kies is pretty good. :):):)

Last edited:

chinita87

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion (AirDroid). It works perfectly. I was starting to freak out after installing a lot of others applications and neither of them worked for me. But AirDroid is great. Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the suggestion (AirDroid). It works perfectly. I was starting to freak out after installing a lot of others applications and neither of them worked for me. But AirDroid is great. Thanks!!!