Text Messaging for Free

df74

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Thought I would come to the best place for good advice. I have no text plan and only text with my daughter who has been sending me more text and pictures for the last few months and I would like to keep my monthly costs down. I have been researching the text for free apps but have found good and bad with each one. Which ones would you recommend for being the safest and most secure? She has unlimited messaging with her family plan (ATT). I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon and don't want to switch.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google+ Hangouts

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Google+ Hangouts

Google+ Hangouts (formerly Google Talk) is easiest way to go, but that only works if you both have smartphones that can run the app...

If your daughter, for example, is only using a "dumbphone" and is restricted to standard SMS/MMS text only, I'd suggest using Google Voice. She'd have to text to your Google Voice number (instead of your Verizon wireless number), and you'll just get the texts on the Google Voice app. On your end, it's done using data, not SMS, so there's no message fee.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google+ Hangouts (formerly Google Talk) is easiest way to go, but that only works if you both have smartphones that can run the app...

If your daughter, for example, is only using a "dumbphone" and is restricted to standard SMS/MMS text only, I'd suggest using Google Voice. She'd have to text to your Google Voice number (instead of your Verizon wireless number), and you'll just get the texts on the Google Voice app. On your end, it's done using data, not SMS, so there's no message fee.

MMS is wonky on Google Voice, if it even works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall