Random Reboot - Boot Screen Different from Norm

Geralt

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S3
Model Number: SCH-I535
Android Version: 4.1.2
Kernal Version: 3.0.31-1152558 se.infra@R0710-11 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 8 17:20:08 KST 2013
Hardware Version: I535.10

About the Phone:
Received this phone back in July, as a refurbished replacement. I've not done anything to the phone aside from typical use; I haven't rooted the phone (don't know how, don't want to know either), I don't use any launcher apps, or anything of the sort.

The Problem:
On my way to work today, my phone randomly rebooted on its own and didn't even go through the whole shutdown process. I have an iBolt car mount for my GS3, and the iBolt Dock-n-Drive app that goes with it, which was running when the random reboot occurred. Whenever I plug the phone into the car mount the app automatically launches, and I've never had any issues with it. When the phone did the reboot though, I only noticed because my Bluetooth alerted me that it lost its connection to the phone. Hearing this, I looked over and the screen was black. Next thing I know, the phone is booting up, however I noticed that the screen was different from normal. The boot screen was primarily the same as always with one exception: under the words "Samsung Galaxy S3", there was the word "custom" in large capital letters. Thinking the phone might have updated, I checked the "About Me" section in settings but everything was the same. I've tried restarting the phone twice, several hours apart, to see if the phone would display that screen again, but to no avail.

I have no idea what brought this on, but it leaves me concerned as it's never done that before and I cannot replicate it. I've tried checking forums to see if I could find any similar situations, and all I could find was a thread in this forum: "Boot Up Screen: 'Custom' 'Unlocked' ". I don't know if the phone had been rooted by a previous owner, but since I received the refurbished phone from Verizon I would assume anything related to the root should be gone without a trace. Also, the picture linked in the forum was different from mine.

My boot screen usually looks like this:
gs3 boot screen.jpg

The custom screen looked something like this: (I just edited the above image using Paint, but this is pretty much how it looked)
gs3 CUSTOM boot screen.jpg

Could somebody please advise me as to what might have caused this, and what I can do to fix it or prevent it from happening again? Thanks for any help you can offer!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you put the phone back in the dock and reboot it when you were trying to reproduce the problem? You probably don't normally reboot the phone when it's in the dock, and the dock hardware may have caused some strange behavior.

I've read about strange appearances of that 'Custom' message - sometimes it was associated with an SD card, and when the card was removed and reinserted the message went away.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Geralt

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response GSDer, I apologize for my delayed response; I've been preoccupied with final exams and whatnot. I did try restarting the phone in the dock the first time, which was probably 20 minutes after the incident when I parked at work. The second time was several hours later, before I started this thread, and it was not plugged into the dock. It's been several days now and it's not repeated this "Custom" reboot, but if it does the first thing I'll try is removing & reinserting the SD card.

Again, I've not had any issues with the dock before so I don't believe that would be the source of the problem; however, because this incident only occurred the one time while it was connected to the dock, I can't necessarily rule it out. It could have been a recent update to the dock's app that caused the issue, and they released another update to resolve the issue shortly afterwards. Or perhaps the app downloaded a hardware update for the dock, which started installing when I connected my phone to the device? Is that possible?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Or perhaps the app downloaded a hardware update for the dock, which started installing when I connected my phone to the device? Is that possible?
It's certainly possible, but not likely - docks are typically dumb devices. If you said you had a Bluetooth watch then I'd be more inclined to believe that an update to the watch may have caused strange behavior.

Have you actually tried rebooting the phone while it's in the car dock? I'd be curious to know if it comes up with that custom message.

Well, glad to hear that the phone is back to normal. Thanks for the follow-up.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Geralt

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually tried rebooting the phone while it's in the car dock? I'd be curious to know if it comes up with that custom message.

Yeah, I tried rebooting the phone while it was connected to the dock but the custom boot screen didn't reappear. Nothing I've tried has replicated the incident. If it happens again I'll post here again, but otherwise I can't really do much. Let me know if you have any other ideas as to what this could be. Thanks again!