Can't boot into stock HTC One Verizon Recovery -Help!

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a big battery drain issue. I called Verizon and they contacted and put on an HTC rep as well. This is a known issue that occurs sometime. Wakelock is eating up hours of CPU usage and draining the battery. The solution is to book into recovery and clear cache. The problem is, my phone won't do that.

Based on thier instructions, I unchecked the Fast Boot option under Power options in Settings. I then powered the phone off. Then holding the volume down key I hit the power button and was able to boot into the boot menu. When I scrolled down with the volume buttons and selected Recovery with the power button, it's supposed to boot into Recovery. Instead, it just reboots the phone normally into my home screen. The Verizon and HTC reps said this should have worked to get me into Recovery.

Anyone know how to get me into recovery other than the above steps? The HTC rep said the only thing to try now is a factory reset, but I've spend hours setting up the phone just right and don't want to do that yet if there's any other way.

Thanks for any of your help!

Aaron

Marilyn Smart

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon HTC One in blue (from Best Buy) and previously owned a silver HTC One purchased directly from Verizon. Neither will allow me to get into the recovery mode. I have called tech support multiple times, and they don't seem to even know what I'm talking about, they just tell me to clear my cache from within Settings/Apps. Very frustrating!. There must be a proprietary Verizon trick of holding the buttons, or doing something in a different order, otherwise, Verizon has REMOVED our ability to get into recovery to perform any task.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
At least I know I'm not crazy. It'd be nice if someone told Verizon's own employees and HTCs that this is locked. Lovely! Let me know if you find a workaround. Thanks!

I have a Verizon HTC One in blue (from Best Buy) and previously owned a silver HTC One purchased directly from Verizon. Neither will allow me to get into the recovery mode. I have called tech support multiple times, and they don't seem to even know what I'm talking about, they just tell me to clear my cache from within Settings/Apps. Very frustrating!. There must be a proprietary Verizon trick of holding the buttons, or doing something in a different order, otherwise, Verizon has REMOVED our ability to get into recovery to perform any task.

Marilyn Smart

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
There's no problem getting into any of the other bootloader menus, like Data Reset or Fastboot, they all work normally. I played with it for hours one day, and pressed all kinds of different combinations of buttons to see if I could get into recovery, and one single time I DID enter a recovery mode, albeit the text was so tiny I had to get a magnifying glass to even try to read it. It wasn't a user-friendly type of environment, and it was only by accident that I got in there . . . . . . I was never able to reproduce it again. Verizon obviously does not want us messing around in Recovery mode.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep. All other bootloader menu options seem to work. I talked with Verizon and HTC again today. They said it should work as stated. They are sending me a new phone. I hate re-setting up the phone though. Wish I could have just cleared the darn cache. Let me know if you ever figure it out. Thanks!

Marilyn Smart

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
They offered to send me a new phone, too, but it won't do any good, as all of the Verizon ones act this way when attempting to access the Stock Recovery. Unfortunately even their top tech support people don't have a clue what changes their "people" made to the recovery environment of this phone. When you receive your new one, please confirm with us that it behaves the same way.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't even need to get to recovery if my phone is working right... :) I'll keep you posted. both Verizon and HTC swear it should work.

Groovysunflowers

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

Just curious, how long did you have your silver one before you got the blue? And was it a hassle to trade, how did you go about doing it? I ask because I really want the blue one but wasn't sure if we were allowed to trade in ours for it

Groovysunflowers

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I didn't do a trade, I returned my silver to a Verizon store, had to pay $35 restocking fee, then went to Best Buy and started over again!

Can you give me a little more detail? I'm willing to pay the 35$ restocking fee, but did you have to pay an ETF, and buy the blue one at Best Buy's price? I got my silver one on Aug 22 so I'm past my return date, so I can understand if you were able to do it within your 2 week time frame but I'm wondering if there will be any hassle to doing this just for the blue color

mysmartone

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't eligible for an upgrade, so I paid full off-contract price, $699 + tax at Best Buy for the blue, whereas at Verizon the silver was $599. So it was an expensive switch, but I absolutely LOVE the blue color, it's more of an azure, & just had to have it!

bjoostema

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem and I think I have the solution. I know this thread is a bit dated, but here's what worked for me.

1.power down phone
2.hold volume down then tap power button, brings ya to the boot screen
3.use volume button to highlight recovery and hit power to enter it (it takes my phone about thirty seconds to bring up a screen with what looks like a battery with a red triangle in it)
4.press the volume up and power button at the exact same time, don't hold them down
5.tada!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer