Kit Kat 4.4 battery slayer!

inc2fit

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I usually don't get furious over stuff, but the battery depletion on my HTC One after 4.4 update is maddening.

Doesn't make it half a day. The last 27% died in 10 mins. Went from 14% to 1% in literally 1 min!

Battery settings shows only apps consuming power, shows no hardware or Os consumption.

Anyone seeing this as bad? Any fixes?

Screenshot_2014-02-08-19-23-31.jpgScreenshot_2014-02-08-19-23-48.jpg

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The dreaded hard reset is what I would do if I had the issue. My battery is unchanged thankfully. A call/complaint to Verizon and they would tell you the same.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I usually don't get furious over stuff, but the battery depletion on my HTC One after 4.4 update is maddening.

Doesn't make it half a day. The last 27% died in 10 mins. Went from 14% to 1% in literally 1 min!

Battery settings shows only apps consuming power, shows no hardware or Os consumption.

Anyone seeing this as bad? Any fixes?

View attachment 104000View attachment 104002

Try factory resetting it. Sometimes that is what needs to be done. If that doesn't work take it into verizon and maybe they will replace it for you.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Try factory resetting it. Sometimes that is what needs to be done. If that doesn't work take it into verizon and maybe they will replace it for you.

Although I love you're avatar, I disagree. Verizon won't replace it without at least doing some trouble shooting. Step one will probably be a factory reset.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
This will be my first day on a charge. This morning was not looking promising as I dropped over 15% in what seemed like a few minutes. Looking at my history it seems to be pretty level but after work will be the real show for me. I already have a plan in place to do a factory reset, as much as I don't want to, but some times you gotta do what you gotta do.

On a side note inc2fit is that your critter? Are you planning to go back to Gilwell?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Although I love you're avatar, I disagree. Verizon won't replace it without at least doing some trouble shooting. Step one will probably be a factory reset.

Well that is a given. I Didnt mean they would replace it right away. If it continues having issues after they do all their "trouble shooting" then they would replace it

daveandcori

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are seeing the same thing on our HTC One's since Kit Kat - horrible battery life. I would easily go 8+ hours now I'm lucky to get 3 or 4. In addition, it doesn't connect to 4G quickly or at all after going away from WiFi.

JayBirdHawaii

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Agreed .. battery life after the update has gone right down the tubes .. when I go to sleep it's around 80% .. when I wake up in the morning there's a warning on the screen that I'm at 14%. I've even reinstalled the update, deleting all content, did NOT reinstall my apps, disabled BlinkFeed. It's almost like anytime I'm stationary - I feel like I have to plug it in.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This may be a bit different from what I've been hearing, but I've noticed that while my battery does seem to be somewhat worse its not really "that" noticible until I hit around 40% left. Then it drains like somebody pulled the bathtub plug. I'm considering the ramifications of a full, back to factory fresh reset. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew it would help, but if its for nothing then what a hassle. I don't see a good reason to back up stuff that might be in cahoots with the issue then reinstall a tainted backup, so id be starting from scratch.

bill1171

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
This may be a bit different from what I've been hearing, but I've noticed that while my battery does seem to be somewhat worse its not really "that" noticible until I hit around 40% left. Then it drains like somebody pulled the bathtub plug. I'm considering the ramifications of a full, back to factory fresh reset. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew it would help, but if its for nothing then what a hassle. I don't see a good reason to back up stuff that might be in cahoots with the issue then reinstall a tainted backup, so id be starting from scratch.

This seems to be my problem around right around 40/50%. Then two hours later telling me I'm at 4

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying out a very minimalistic launcher(sick sky). It seems to be helping noticibly with my power issues. Its definitely not the launcher for everyone, but its kind of growing on me. No frills, small footprint. I'm liking it so far. Plus the better battery life is the plus. YMMV depending on how you use your device, but I've always thought widgets took to much power anyway. I don't see why manufacturers just can't put decent batteries in their devices. One thing for sure for what these damn things cost my next phone will have a decent battery or they can keep it.

bill1171

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Did the htc back up and reset first, same battery life. Did the Power button and vol down factory reset BIG diff 5am yesterday to 8am this morning still had 23% left. moderate use