HTC is getting cooler by the day

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Their sales are sagging in a way that usually marks the beginning of a steady but serious decline.
So basically, they went into full blown "let's fix sh*t" mode. I like the unlocking bootloaders thing, I like their approach on creating a line of phones (the "One") rather than several forgettable phones with random names, and I like their willingness to take a few risks on the innovation front.
However, I dislike the direction that Sense is taking. I dislike the lack of effort on battery improvements (this goes for everyone except Moto, that Razr Maxx battery is nuts). And I dislike their lack of sliders! Where my keyboards at?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Their sales are sagging in a way that usually marks the beginning of a steady but serious decline.
So basically, they went into full blown "let's fix sh*t" mode. I like the unlocking bootloaders thing, I like their approach on creating a line of phones (the "One") rather than several forgettable phones with random names, and I like their willingness to take a few risks on the innovation front.
However, I dislike the direction that Sense is taking. I dislike the lack of effort on battery improvements (this goes for everyone except Moto, that Razr Maxx battery is nuts). And I dislike their lack of sliders! Where my keyboards at?

Truly, I don't care what gets the ball rolling as long as it budges. This is a small step, but I think it is a step in the right direction for them. Moto is certainly on the ball in the hardware department these days. That can only help prod the others to follow suit. HTC lost alot of ground by the end of Q4 so I don't think they can afford to pot around anymore. Hopefully streamlining is the name of the game now since everyone seems to be drifting away from multi releases en masse.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Android is evolving just like the PC market did. Soon there will be pretty much standard hardware across a few manufacturers and a few "white box" outfits that offer a cheaper device

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
HTC is actually losing me with the non-removable batteries in these new One series phones. I really hope that's not a trend as it's an absolute deal breaker for me. I will not buy a phone with a non-removable battery regardless of how great battery life may be. As to the newer versions of Sense on ICS, I do like that they're pairing it down. My only concern is the new dock, don't like it and hope there is a "classic" curved one you can revert to. Anyway, I'm holding out hope for a penta-core Thunderbolt 2! :p

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
HTC is actually losing me with the non-removable batteries in these new One series phones. I really hope that's not a trend as it's an absolute deal breaker for me. I will not buy a phone with a non-removable battery regardless of how great battery life may be. As to the newer versions of Sense on ICS, I do like that they're pairing it down. My only concern is the new dock, don't like it and hope there is a "classic" curved one you can revert to. Anyway, I'm holding out hope for a penta-core Thunderbolt 2! :p

I think manufacturers envision the next step in smartphones as being like tablets, which means non-removable batteries. This is why keyboards are being phased out and screens are getting larger.
But back to the original point, I wouldn't mind a non-removable battery so long as the hardware allows me to shut it off regardless of what's happening with the software at the moment, especially if the trade-off is nearly double the battery life.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

There's actually a point to the new dock. It's to get away from the "THIS IS SENSE" feel and give it a more "THIS IS ANDROID" feel. By doing so they need their hand in the software dev pot a little less and can put more effort into hardware dev. That's the entire point of the whole One line....isn't it?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I think manufacturers envision the next step in smartphones as being like tablets, which means non-removable batteries. This is why keyboards are being phased out and screens are getting larger.
But back to the original point, I wouldn't mind a non-removable battery so long as the hardware allows me to shut it off regardless of what's happening with the software at the moment, especially if the trade-off is nearly double the battery life.

I remember Moto built that forced restart in from reading the early reviews. I haven't been in their forum but is that feature holding true. Can they shut the phone down under all circumstances? That whole scenario was an immediate killswitch for my interest in that phone.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
There's actually a point to the new dock. It's to get away from the "THIS IS SENSE" feel and give it a more "THIS IS ANDROID" feel. By doing so they need their hand in the software dev pot a little less and can put more effort into hardware dev. That's the entire point of the whole One line....isn't it?

The tone and timbre of those sentences are wonderful:p

Egnix

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
HTC is actually losing me with the non-removable batteries in these new One series phones. I really hope that's not a trend as it's an absolute deal breaker for me. I will not buy a phone with a non-removable battery regardless of how great battery life may be.

Same here. When I was considering a new phone before the recent batch (Razr/Rezound/Nexus), I dismissed the Razr when I read it had a non-removable battery.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I remember Moto built that forced restart in from reading the early reviews. I haven't been in their forum but is that feature holding true. Can they shut the phone down under all circumstances? That whole scenario was an immediate killswitch for my interest in that phone.

I imagine it works like a tablet. My HP Touchpad froze a few times while I was messing around with rooting and I was able to reboot by holding a combination of the volume rocker and power button for about 20 seconds or so. If it works like this, then I'm fine with it.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

All the physical keyboards have gone to Sovngarde... we don't need them in this world anymore. :p

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Tablets are large enough though to be able to contain large capacity batteries. Smartphones can only get so big before it becomes impractical as a phone, so this limits the size and capacity of the batteries. It's also much more practical to tether a tablet to a charge as you never need to put it to your ear to use as a phone. Nor is a tablet as mobile as a smartphone or used in so many ways.

As to non-removable batteries, I'm not really concerned about trying to do a hard reset. It's more about not having to be tethered for a charge, instead just swap out for a fresh battery and go. It's much more practical for such a mobile device like a smartphone. My biggest concern though is when the battery goes bad, a probability that is increased with a built-in battery that is constantly going through discharge/charge cycles. With multiple batteries, that is spread out over each battery decreasing the probability. There is also the issue of needing hex tools and/or case openers if you want to try to replace a bad built-in battery yourself.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

My wife's razr locked up tight as a whore in church one night. Power and volume down got it to reboot (I think).

Personally, I would like the phone to come with nothing, no launcher, no nothing. Then I can load up what I want. The stock browser in ICS? Well, ICS Browser plus works the same, but takes it to another level. Same with Nova Launcher. Stock ICS is cool, until you use Nova.

But my wife, who is a normal smart phone user, can't care less about this stuff. I set up her 3 home screens on day one, and she has not added anything since. Hell, she only picked the Razr over the Rezound because the app drawer swiped page by page like her Ipod Touch. Not how thin it was, the app drawer.

New sense should aim at Nova launcher. Stock ICS is still missing things, just plug the holes. They still have to make a phone a moron can use, but please us idiots on the internet ing about everything!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife's razr locked up tight as a whore in church one night. Power and volume down got it to reboot (I think).

Personally, I would like the phone to come with nothing, no launcher, no nothing. Then I can load up what I want. The stock browser in ICS? Well, ICS Browser plus works the same, but takes it to another level. Same with Nova Launcher. Stock ICS is cool, until you use Nova.

But my wife, who is a normal smart phone user, can't care less about this stuff. I set up her 3 home screens on day one, and she has not added anything since. Hell, she only picked the Razr over the Rezound because the app drawer swiped page by page like her Ipod Touch. Not how thin it was, the app drawer.

New sense should aim at Nova launcher. Stock ICS is still missing things, just plug the holes. They still have to make a phone a moron can use, but please us idiots on the internet ing about everything!

Oems will never solely feature a stock UI b/c that phone already exists, in the form of the Nexii. Essentially, though, you've already had your request filled by HTC. They gave us the ability to unlock and perm root followed suit, so you already have the choice to do what you seek.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Oems will never solely feature a stock UI b/c that phone already exists, in the form of the Nexii. Essentially, though, you've already had your request filled by HTC. They gave us the ability to unlock and perm root followed suit, so you already have the choice to do what you seek.

Not to mention that on a skinned ICS, you can just download one of the newer stock launchers and phase out Sense/Blur/Wiz, so that's a decent way to circumvent the problem.
I think the reason that OEMs will never cave in to "get rid of the skin, give us stock!" is because the bigger outcry was for them to give us the tools to customize. Well, that and because we all pretty much agree that the only way to differentiate all of these phones in the eyes of the mass market is to tweak the software.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I just want the option to choose. I don't really care what Verizon or htc puts on my phone, but I want the ability to turn it off/remove without voiding my warranty.

What they should do with the skins is just add functionality, utility, widgets, and more functionality. Add to the greatness of android, not distract from. Adding transitions is fine too as long as they do not lag things and can be turned off it the user so chooses

Manufactures will never stop the skin because without those, what distinguishes them besides hardware? This isn't iPhones we are talking about with zero stock choices. The companies have to compete with each other to give us better products.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I just want the option to choose. I don't really care what Verizon or htc puts on my phone, but I want the ability to turn it off/remove without voiding my warranty.

What they should do with the skins is just add functionality, utility, widgets, and more functionality. Add to the greatness of android, not distract from. Adding transitions is fine too as long as they do not lag things and can be turned off it the user so chooses

Manufactures will never stop the skin because without those, what distinguishes them besides hardware? This isn't iPhones we are talking about with zero stock choices. The companies have to compete with each other to give us better products.

In that case, sit tight, wait and see what HTC does with that feature in the official Sense UI/ ICS update. Stock ICS allows you to disable unwanted apps from running. Should have an answer to that features inclusion before they release it to HtC's phone roster in the UK before the end of March. I don't see why they would disable it on the oem ICS units.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
In that case, sit tight, wait and see what HTC does with that feature in the official Sense UI/ ICS update. Stock ICS allows you to disable unwanted apps from running. Should have an answer to that features inclusion before they release it to HtC's phone roster in the UK before the end of March. I don't see why they would disable it on the oem ICS units.

And that is my favorite feature of ics so far. If htc somehow disables it without replacing it with equivalent or better, I'll root and wash my hands of their software as much as I can immediately.

I think the bigger threat is Verizon trying to disable it though. Reports I have seen say its impossible for them to, but I don't put anything past them.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on this. I've always criticized Apple for this very thing and will not buy any phone that doesn't have a replaceable battery. Having a removable back panel shouldn't be that difficult to implement.