Verizon Rumor - Killing grandfathered unlimited plans

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My contract is up May 2013 so the unlimited I have now wont be eligible? I really dont have an out of losing it then if it takes affect prior correct? Unless I pay the remainder of the contract AND upgrade my phone at that price now? How is US Cellular by the way? Dont hear much about them. Seems like an older crowds phone company and I mean no offence by that. Just kind of does lol.

You can't pay off your contract, at least it isn't official policy.you can keep unlimited so long as you buy a no contract phone.

Reactions: Wilhem_Scream

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to understand the meaning of going from 3G to 4G LTE part in my case. I upgraded from a BB to the Rezound last November and was grandfathered to unlimited data. At the moment, we have no 4G LTE anywhere in the state. So, is that momentous "going from/to" will occur when we, at some point in the future, get 4G LTE?

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You can't pay off your contract, at least it isn't official policy.you can keep unlimited so long as you buy a no contract phone.

Well the problem is that I like this phone and would like to keep even after the upgrade or contract date is up. I dont need new and rocket speeds. This phone has been the most reliable I have owned from them. I may change my mind come next year though so it boils down to paying them full price for their phones or buying something from an amazon or ebay etc?? Oh well. Someone said it already. It is what it is and there's only few options to choose from. Guess I will decide when the time comes. I say screw it and bring back the beeper Ha!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to understand the meaning of going from 3G to 4G LTE part in my case. I upgraded from a BB to the Rezound last November and was grandfathered to unlimited data. At the moment, we have no 4G LTE anywhere in the state. So, is that momentous "going from/to" will occur when we, at some point in the future, get 4G LTE?

They want LTE everywhere, it is only a matter of time before you get it. How long you will wait is the question

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the problem is that I like this phone and would like to keep even after the upgrade or contract date is up. I dont need new and rocket speeds. This phone has been the most reliable I have owned from them. I may change my mind come next year though so it boils down to paying them full price for their phones or buying something from an amazon or ebay etc?? Oh well. Someone said it already. It is what it is and there's only few options to choose from. Guess I will decide when the time comes. I say screw it and bring back the beeper Ha!

So long as you don't sign a new contract, then you will be fine you could keep the phone for 10 years and still retain unlimited data under the latest verizon communique.

Reactions: Wilhem_Scream

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't mean anything. The cfo made a comment, but verizon back peddled. Basically, 3g and 4glte devices will be treated the same, if you upgrade and sign a new contract after the date they set, then you would lose unlimited regardless of device type.

But, with regards to your specific question, your rezound is considered a 4glte device, even if you never connect to 4glte.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
They want LTE everywhere, it is only a matter of time before you get it. How long you will wait is the question

I guess my question was about the situation when the person (me) has a 4g phone, but no 4g yet available. Will they switch me from the unlimited data plan when 4g appears locally?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
They will switch you no matter if you have it or not IF you renew your contract after a date that hasn't been determined yet.

Rezound via Tapatalk 2

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess my question was about the situation when the person (me) has a 4g phone, but no 4g yet available. Will they switch me from the unlimited data plan when 4g appears locally?

From what I understand, you're looking for an easy answer that's straight forward and simple.

So here goes:

You already have a 4G enabled device, and your account is already marked for 4G service.

When you finally get 4G service local to you, your account will not change.

When will your unlimited data be changed?

That's to be determined. We know that at this point if you "renew" your contract on an upgrade, VZW will take away the unlimited data plan then. The proposed solution to this is that once our contracts are up, we proceed to just pay monthly for the same service, and if we want a new device then we need to buy it at full retail price as opposed to taking advantage of the subsidies VZW offers on new devices provided you extend your contract for another 2 years.

In the mean time though, you're still at the mercy of VZW. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could change the terms of the contract so long as they notify you (giving you the chance to exit the contract without paying the early termination fee), or wait until your contract is up and just deny the unlimited data service.

Reactions: Simon_y7

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that they would change the terms while on contract. Even off contract, I don't think that they would do it.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
In the past, they wanted you to re-sign you contract early and offered some kind of incentives for doing so. Maybe the unlimited data can be made into a negotiating point. It may come down to whether early commitments are more or less valuable to them vs. the estimated spread-around cost of unlimited data.