ICS - Exchange Email Hyperlinks Don't Work

Ted1Jones

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
After the ICS upgrade to my Rezound, the hyperlinks in emails from my Exchange ActiveSync stopped working in the HTC Mail client. They are not underlined and do nothing if tapped. Hyperlinks do display and work correctly in all the other apps, including People and Calendar using the same Exchange account.

This same thing happened when I tried the Incredible 4G. I never heard back from HTC support, and of course, Verizon had no suppor for the Inc 4G.

I don't think this is caused by our Exchange Server since the Exchange email hyperlinks worked fine before ICS and they work fine in other email apps under ICS, such as Touchdown.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ted1Jones

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You all sholuld stop spewing this nonsense about no hyperlinks because of Apple.

Hyperlinks work in all apps under ICS, except for my Exchange emails in the HTC client. Other HTC ICS users with Exchange do have hyperlinks.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
You all sholuld stop spewing this nonsense about no hyperlinks because of Apple.

Hyperlinks work in all apps under ICS, except for my Exchange emails in the HTC client. Other HTC ICS users with Exchange do have hyperlinks.

I'm not spewing anything, just trying to help. Other HTC ICS users might be rooted and did the hack? Or they received ICS before the ruling? As far as I can tell, you (and I) don't have hyperlinks in the HTC Mail app because Apple won this lawsuit against HTC and by law HTC had to remove this functionality. Same reason the One series phones were delayed in customs.

Other apps have it working because those are apps by other developers, not HTC.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Blame Apple. Because they won a patent war with HTC, we no longer have hyperlinks in HTC apps. This can be hacked, but you have to be rooted I believe.

How to Restore Hyperlink Functionality on Your HTC Phone | TalkAndroid.com
That is ridiculous... Hyperlinks work in every app I have tried, including email, calendar, messaging, etc. Ted1Jones has a legitimate issue and was looking for help, not someone to blame Apple for something that isn't their fault.

Every link works in every HTC app I have tried, and using the App Association setting got Maxthon to work for all those links as well!

HTC Rezound x2 - Stock OTA ICS from earlier today. Never Rooted/ROMed or any trickery!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
That is ridiculous... Hyperlinks work in every app I have tried, including email, calendar, messaging, etc. Ted1Jones has a legitimate issue and was looking for help, not someone to blame Apple for something that isn't their fault.

Every link works in every HTC app I have tried, and using the App Association setting got Maxthon to work for all those links as well!

HTC Rezound x2 - Stock OTA ICS from earlier today. Never Rooted/ROMed or any trickery!

You and Ted need to slow your roll. Someone tries to help you and offer some advice and you guys try to pile on.

Jiml is correct whether you like it or not. Now should you choose to accept his advice is up to you but you should show a little more appreciation that he tried to help and a little less Apple-fanboy attitude. And if you want to keep up the attitude feel free to take your questions to XDA and see how they treat you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Reactions: jimbl

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I am still annoyed that, in ICS, YouTube links won't open in the YouTube app. When I root someday, I'll enjoy having that feature back.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Next lawsuit will be that Apple developed the smartphone. Seriously if software has that function on a computer it is not a giant leap to put it on a phone. Someone should start throwing some of these patents out.

Sent via TADIL-A

Reactions: TBolt

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

I agree, it is ridiculous. That doesn't make it any less true. You must just be lucky, because by law HTC had to remove that functionality. Do you use Exchange Email on your phone without a 3rd party app? You set it up in Accounts & Sync?

Sent from my HTC Vigor.

scottafithian

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC Sensation 4G that has been updated to ICS. all of my Exchange ActiveSync e-mail now comes only as plain text and the message format setting option is grayed out so it can't be changed. This occurred after I had to do a factory default reset on the phone last month (it worked fine prior to the reset). I have been calling HTC and T-mobile for a month trying to find out how to fix this and was finally told today that HTML e-mail was disabled in the Exchange ActiveSync app (which is an HTC app) as a result of the Apple lawsuit. The only workaround is to install a 3rd party application for Exchange e-mails. They recommended Touchdown which formats the e-mails fine but seems to slow down my phone quite a bit.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree, it is ridiculous. That doesn't make it any less true. You must just be lucky, because by law HTC had to remove that functionality. Do you use Exchange Email on your phone without a 3rd party app? You set it up in Accounts & Sync?

Sent from my HTC Vigor.
Yup, stock email app, no third party app at all (I have less than 15 apps of anykind installed on my work phone, none are email related), and yes, I set it up through Accounts & Sync like I have forever. I don't think luck has anything to do with it... hyperlinks work just fine in both of my phones (I don't normally use the stock email app in my personal phone but I set it up just to test it). Also works in Calendar, Message, FB for HTC Sense and every other HTC embedded apps I tried with no problem.

Screenshot of an email I got yesterday is attached, viewed in the stock email app from my account setup via Activesync, the links are clearly visible and clicking them opens the appropriate app (Web browser, compose email, etc.)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup, stock email app, no third party app at all (I have less than 15 apps of anykind installed on my work phone, none are email related), and yes, I set it up through Accounts & Sync like I have forever. I don't think luck has anything to do with it... hyperlinks work just fine in both of my phones (I don't normally use the stock email app in my personal phone but I set it up just to test it). Also works in Calendar, Message, FB for HTC Sense and every other HTC embedded apps I tried with no problem.

Screenshot of an email I got yesterday is attached, viewed in the stock email app from my account setup via Activesync, the links are clearly visible and clicking them opens the appropriate app (Web browser, compose email, etc.)

The patent has nothing to do with links being there, it means you cannot open them with anything but a Web browser. You used to be able to open YouTube links with YouTube app and ect. Now you cannot because of apple on stock ics. I enjoy doing things to get around such nonsense though and saying f u to apple.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site

Are you on the ICS OTA or the 12RUU? I was reading this and the Apple story is true. But I pulled up my exchange email on the stock email app and the links work for email and web links. They also work on gmail app as well if that means anything.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you on the ICS OTA or the 12RUU? I was reading this and the Apple story is true. But I pulled up my exchange email on the stock email app and the links work for email and web links. They also work on gmail app as well if that means anything.
I am on the OTA release.

AlphaRyvius

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Does this also affect apps also? I use GeoCache and before the ICS update. Anytime I got a GeoCache link in the email. If I hit the link it would pull up the GeoCache app. So now I have my email on a 3rd party email app (K9 email) and when I click on the hyperlink instead of pulling up on the GeoCache app it pulls up the GeoCache link through the web browser. Wanted to know if this is affected by the Apple lawsuit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer