Call to Developers (App Idea)

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a idea but don't have the knowledge to create the app.... Who thinks that it would a nice ideal to have a application that can control the 4g and 3G network settings to minimize battery use?

I would love to see a application that has a black list type option where the device will trigger the correct connection depending on the application that is open... Example I can set the 4G to activate when I open my web browser but the email app would keep the setting to 3G, a interface similar to Smart Rotator would be nice..

If this is possible could someone put together something to do this option....

Thank You..

Photos below are examples only...

4G%20Trigger%20Project%201.jpg
4G%20Trigger%20Project.jpg

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That's called an idea, not ideal. :p
What does the app do when you're just on your home screen?

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt

Ha Ha :D Got to love the auto correct feature... :D

When the device is on home screen there would be no need for 4G so that would be a area to use 3G but if the option menu is set as suggested the option will be present to enable the 4G when the Sense UI is brought to front the same way the rotation app allows..

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just gotta say... that I think it would be an unnesassary complication for something that everyone does not agree is an issue.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The network delay while it switches between modes (assuming it does so on its own without manual intervention) would be a major pain! :( Not to mention probably cause increased battery drain.

Last edited:

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I would love an app like this or a 3G/4G toggle widget. Nothing depletes battery like 4G. I know everyone assumes the screen is the biggest battery draw but even with the screen knocked down to 15%, the 4G destroys the battery. 3G is ideal for most routine tasks like texting, emailing, etc. I love the blazing 4G speeds but it is a battery killer.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a idea but don't have the knowledge to create the app.... Who thinks that it would a nice ideal to have a application that can control the 4g and 3G network settings to minimize battery use?

I would love to see a application that has a black list type option where the device will trigger the correct connection depending on the application that is open... Example I can set the 4G to activate when I open my web browser but the email app would keep the setting to 3G, a interface similar to Smart Rotator would be nice..

If this is possible could someone put together something to do this option....

Thank You..

I actually like this idea, but it wouldn't be easy. I've been trying to find a way to get Tasker to do something like this (turn off 4G when idle, re-enable when certain apps are launched), but have yet to find a way to do it...and Tasker can do just about EVERYTHING.

It seems there's no automated way to select the network type, and without the ability to do that, the app would be almost impossible to create (at least as this novice sees it).

I just gotta say... that I think it would be an unnesassary complication for something that everyone does not agree is an issue.

-Frank

True, but that is the beauty of an app...if you don't have any need for it, don't download it. I think this idea is one that many people would like.

I think the 3G to 4G switching would have to be improved before an app like this would really be practical (if even possible to do), but it definitely could be a real power-saver, especially for folks on the "fringe" 4G areas, which tend to really eat the battery if left on LTE mode.

Reactions: wildman

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

-Frank

I would agree but so many could agree that when the 4G connection activated there is a noticeable power drain compared to when 3G is activated and also it isnt a advantage to having 4G on at all times because apps like email, weather and gps does not require the faster connection supplied by 4G.

Besides there is a number of apps that all user agree is need but I am sure enough would find this useful if a developer could make it happen..

I actually like this idea, but it wouldn't be easy. I've been trying to find a way to get Tasker to do something like this (turn off 4G when idle, re-enable when certain apps are launched), but have yet to find a way to do it...and Tasker can do just about EVERYTHING.

It seems there's no automated way to select the network type, and without the ability to do that, the app would be almost impossible to create (at least as this novice sees it).

Since there is methods to access it through a number of apps on Market I was thinking that a script could be made to automate the process in the background and use a simple UI to modify the command.

Last edited:

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I THINK you can do most of this with juice defender pro. Knock yourself out I guess, 4g/3g toggle works fine on settings.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I THINK you can do most of this with juice defender pro. Knock yourself out I guess, 4g/3g toggle works fine on settings.

Sent from my Bolt via Tapatalk.

I have juice defender and I had more connection errors with using it and also JD does not have option to control 4G connections... I can live with or without this feature but I figured a developer may like to take a shot at this project.