I need to get rid of tunewiki

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I looked on Android market today and there's an update for tunewiki. It also. Says the permissions have changed and it wants to read my texts and download ad data to my phone. I have no use for this app and I want it gone. Now everytime I go to android market I'm gonna have to update individually instead of all at once just to avoid this update. Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of this crap or at least disable the update?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Or just ignore it, no harm no foul. I've had TuneWiki and five others (Blockbuster, Rhapsody, Google Books, V Cast Music, VZ Navigator) indicating they need updates for months. I don't use any of them and they haven't had any negative effect on the phone as far as I can tell. So I'm not going to update them and risk the update causing a problem. Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure you turn off "Auto-update apps" in your Market settings to stop them from auto updating. :)

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I looked on Android market today and there's an update for tunewiki. It also. Says the permissions have changed and it wants to read my texts and download ad data to my phone. I have no use for this app and I want it gone. Now everytime I go to android market I'm gonna have to update individually instead of all at once just to avoid this update. Any ideas on what I can do to get rid of this crap or at least disable the update?

I don't think it will do any of those things unless you actually use the app. Unless you want to root, just ignore the update or don't worry about it.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Root is the way if it really bothers you. You will also be able to get rid of the Amazon Kindle app, Back up Assistant, Let's Golf, Rock Band and all of the VZW apps.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Root is the way if it really bothers you. You will also be able to get rid of the Amazon Kindle app, Back up Assistant, Let's Golf, Rock Band and all of the VZW apps.
Yes. Now, you see, that is my peeve with alternative ROMS. I LIKE the Kindle app and the MyVerizon app. And I also use the Blockbuster app. These ROM dev's make the decision for you as far as what they think is bloatware, or not. I'd rather make the decision myself by simply not using them if I don't want to. But I don't want them taken away by the devs so I no longer have the choice.

-Frank

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Now, you see, that is my peeve with alternative ROMS. I LIKE the Kindle app and the MyVerizon app. And I also use the Blockbuster app. These ROM dev's make the decision for you as far as what they think is bloatware, or not. I'd rather make the decision myself by simply not using them if I don't want to. But I don't want them taken away by the devs so I no longer have the choice.

-Frank

I completely understand. I root and only remove apps I don't use. I use the My VZW app too.

I try out new roms but always find myself going back to rooted, stock rom. Currently on 2.11.605.9. It had all the bloat and I removed what I didn't use.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand. I root and only remove apps I don't use. I use the My VZW app too.

I try out new roms but always find myself going back to rooted, stock rom. Currently on 2.11.605.9. It had all the bloat and I removed what I didn't use.
Yes. It's good to have choices.

-Frank

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

-Frank

But if you like an app the dev removes you can always go to the market and download it. To me that seems hardly worth a peeve. I could however see it as a problem if you were not able to recover an app you like. I respect your decision not to root, I like running my stock phone from time to time. Just a question would you root after your warranty expires?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

-Frank

I don't understand - the alternative ROM developers aren't restricting you from installing the MyVerizon, Kindle, Blockbuster, and new "reads your SMS" TuneWiki. You can install all the stuff you want.

The problem is the stock ROM forcing even more avenues for our contact and SMS and email and other data to be compromised by a third party. And some of us cannot root, sadly (corporate phone, MobileIron would have a fit).

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Paranoia. The Google apps probably already have access to those areas.

-Frank

Actually, most of the Google apps don't. But even if they did, I trust Google. I have to by default - if they wanted to write hooks into the OS to steal any data they wanted to, they could.

I object to Verizon forcing a half-dozen applications down my throat that introduce additional vectors for viruses and malware and exposure of my private data.

Sure, I can ignore them. But they can't be told to ignore ME, and that's the problem. Looking at "running" apps, for example, Rhapsody shows as running. I've never, ever started Rhapsody. I don't even know what the hell it is. But it's running a service in the background on my phone 24/7. What is it doing?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't. Not any more than many other providers anyway.

-Frank

Well, let's put it this way, I get to choose to trust Google, at least as far as any optionally-installed software goes (Google Earth, Gmail, Goggles, etc). Beyond that, there are components of the OS that Google has written that I have to trust or I can't use Android, so in that regard I trust Google (and if I were running an iPhone I'd have to trust Apple, same for RIM and Blackberry, etc).

But I don't want to truse the authors of TuneWiki, because they add a feature to my phone that I don't want, didn't ask for, and can't get rid of. And now that app wants the ability to read my SMS messages any time the author chooses to? I'd uninstall ANY app that wanted that access unless it was an SMS app.

Only I can't uninstall TuneWiki. Not because I want it, not because it's a core part of the Operating System, just because Verizon says I have to have it.

Reactions: coolbreeze

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I rooted mine for two reasons.
1) I wanted to be able to do a complete backup. Rooting is the only way to do that.
2) I wanted to get rid of TuneWiki and freeze the bloatware.

The bloatware bothered me a little, but TuneWiki I just plain hated. It was constantly wanting me to update it on the Google market. Update it, heck I didn't even want it in rom.

Google needs to have the ability to 'hide' apps online so it doesn't keep hounding you about updating some garbage app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty