HTC Desire HD ICS cancelled - TBolt next?

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
HTC Desire HD ICS cancelled! So is anybody worried the Thunderbolt might run into the same fate? The decision was made by HTC, not the carriers, that the phone couldn't handle ICS well.

Near as I can tell they both have the same screen, the same 1ghz Snapdragon CPU and the same 768kb internal RAM. The TBolt has more internal storage and LTE vs 3G capability but I fail to see how that sets it far enough apart from the Desire HD to make me feel comfortable that an ICS update from Verizon is ever going to come, especially if HTC is the one pulling the plug on it to start with.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm ok with not seeing ICS on the TBolt. It works well now, and I'd hate to revisit the debacle that was the initial upgrade to GB. Mine ain't broke, so I don't care if they fix it.

Thunderbolt Ho!

NotAnotherSN92

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm really starting to feel left behind on GB, though. I mean, great, the phone works the way it "should," but I was honestly happier with the botched GB update than Froyo because it still ran way better. Now I'm missing out on a lot of apps and a lot of awesome features that would really breathe enough new life into this phone that will hold me over until my November upgrade. I LIKE the latest and greatest, that's why I bought this phone at launch in the first place!

Last edited:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
This phone came out late March 2011. It is now July 2012, 1.3 years into its life cycle. And it's dead.

Shame on HTC. Never again buying one of their products.

PS there's no excuse they can't put ICS on it, as lower spec'd hardware has already received the bump. This is just a simple case of HTC being cheap and skimping out on their customers.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Makes no difference to me. Thunderbolt works very well on Gingerbread and I'm in no mood to take any risk in screwing that up for what amounts to little to no benefit from ICS. Besides, you can be sure features will be removed due to Apple's war with HTC as they were in the last software update. Thus the reason I flashed back to an older unaffected version and rooted to block OTA's. I'll look for a new version of Android on a new phone when the time comes. Until then, I'm fully content with what I've got. :)

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
This phone came out late March 2011. It is now July 2012, 1.3 years into its life cycle. And it's dead.

Shame on HTC. Never again buying one of their products.

PS there's no excuse they can't put ICS on it, as lower spec'd hardware has already received the bump. This is just a simple case of HTC being cheap and skimping out on their customers.

They never said the we weren't getting ICS. The OP is just making unfounded assumptions. HTC and Verizon have both stated that we'll get ICS this summer. No need to freak out.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
They never said the we weren't getting ICS. The OP is just making unfounded assumptions. HTC and Verizon have both stated that we'll get ICS this summer. No need to freak out.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Ummmm, not freaking out or making unfounded assumptions. The announcement was on the Front Page of Android Central. I simply did a comparison of the specs between the 2 devices. If HTC claims they don't think ICS on the Desire HD will be a satisfactory experience for users then the potential for the same conclusion to be drawn regarding the Thunderbolt is indeed a distinct possibility.

UNFOUNDED would indicate that I made no effort to investigate this possibility before posting and that is not true. You tell me where the Thunderbolt is superior to the Desire HD in regard to hardware specs and I'll withdraw my original statement. Otherwise, this is an open Forum and I posted a logically presented argument for discussion which, simply because you don't agree with it, does not necessarily preclude that I'm "freaking out".

This all may be moot however, since I stumbled across this post today:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-news/192886-htc-update-desire-hd-ics.html

which at first glance seems to indicate HTC's Facebook India page is denying the report that ICS would be withheld from the Desire HD.

Either way, I agree with many others here that the current OS works very well on this phone and is quite stable. Something Verizon could easily mess up with an overly customized version of ICS for us TBolt owners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress