About the ThunderBolt and simultaneous 3G voice & 3G data

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not much is known about how the ThunderBolt will accomplish simultaneous 3G voice and 3G data when no other Verizon phone has it. Looks like Verizon insider "black_man_x" is about to shed some light on that subject with an entry later today on his blog at Twitter . So keep an eye out for that. In the meantime, he's tossed out a couple of teasers via Twitter:

"Fact is the feature being introduced only really works half way.. if u have perfect coverage u may get bout 200k speeds in real world"

and

"I will write up a quick blog on the thunderbolts data stack etc and post it later today. its 4am in london so back to bed i go"

Stay tuned!

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It makes sense considering they are using the data channel for VoIP access and if you are using data and talking you'll really put a strain on the quality of the call.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Panda! Thanks for posting. You already helped clarify one important point. So it's data shoehorned into a voice call instead of converting voice to VOIP so you can use the data stream for both?

I'd be happy with even a limited data stream as long as voice quality doesn't drop too much. For me (and probably other business uses), there are many times when this functionality would come in handy. For example, when I'm on a conference call and someone sends me an e-mail saying the passcode changed or they forgot the bridgeline. Just being able to get a new mail notification with "From" and "Subject" would be enough to let me know it was something important and could then drop the call if I wanted to get the rest of the message or attachments. As it is now, I wouldn't find out until after the meeting is over. I don't need or expect to stream YouTube while on a call.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Panda! Thanks for posting. You already helped clarify one important point. So it's data shoehorned into a voice call instead of converting voice to VOIP so you can use the data stream for both?

I'd be happy with even a limited data stream as long as voice quality doesn't drop too much. For me (and probably other business uses), there are many times when this functionality would come in handy. For example, when I'm on a conference call and someone sends me an e-mail saying the passcode changed or they forgot the bridgeline. Just being able to get a new mail notification with "From" and "Subject" would be enough to let me know it was something important and could then drop the call if I wanted to get the rest of the message or attachments. As it is now, I wouldn't find out until after the meeting is over. I don't need or expect to stream YouTube while on a call.

abso freaking lutely! last minute email detailing conference call agenda changes. dozens of times i need data during call, even limited data.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i just was to clarify for my own knowledge (and others who have the same question in mind), so if i'm in a 4G covered area and get a call, i will get the call thru the 3G chip and the data is on the 4G chip right? meaning that i will be able to simultaneously use voice & data right?

though the OP, and the concern going on is that this is halfway when my data isn't in a 4G covered area and is instead using 3G for data and 3G for voice - making it a partial simultaneous voice & data right?

anon(75289)

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Correct. If you're in 4G area, your call will sound great going through the 3g radio and you will have screaming 4g data going on at the same time with the lte radio.

Reactions: Green_Laser

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It uses an sv-do chip. Basically voice is carried over ev-do 1x and the data is carried over ev-do rev A. Engadget had a post about the chip in 2009 when the chip was announced (sorry I don't have the link). This is just the first phone to use it.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If I remember correctly, recent revisions of the CDMA architecture have allowed for simultaneous voice/data over 3G, but neither Verizon or Sprint has enabled them until now.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
the voice and data service on the bolt is quite usable. but in a 4g area u will not use the same tech.. just good old fast arse LTE! Panda Approved!

its not quite up to snuff and was actually put in place for another device that determined that the solution wasnt up to standards and the amount of devices to use it would kill the network...

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
the voice and data service on the bolt is quite usable. but in a 4g area u will not use the same tech.. just good old fast arse LTE! Panda Approved!

its not quite up to snuff and was actually put in place for another device that determined that the solution wasnt up to standards and the amount of devices to use it would kill the network...

Voice will be on LTE in an LTE area?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Aha...this makes sense!

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I may be wrong - and I really hope that I am. I'm not seeing a whole lot out there other than other forums. I haven't seen too much out there about what it would take to upgrade the network to support SVDO, but if it is as time consuming as it will take for a 4G network, the business case would be thrown out very quickly with a 4G LTE network being rolled out aggressively.