Does/will Verizon throttle high data users?

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Simple question, I couldn't find any info on this and I was wondering if someone had any information at all about Verizon's plans to throttle or not to throttle high data users on 4g, because I plan on being a very high data user.

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
They stated not too long ago that accounts in the top 5% of usage would get throttled or soft capped. Not sure how much data one would have to pull in a month to be in the top 5%. Maybe you can find out, for us ;)

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yup they said top 5% right before the release of the VZW iPhone. I would imagine top 5% people that tether laptops and game consoles. But tiered pricing will expose what is top end data usage.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
source?

Phone Scoop
Verizon Wireless Data "Optimization" Has Begun | PCWorld
Verizon starts 'optimizing' (read: throttling) network for the most data hungry users -- Engadget

I did forget to mention that LTE phones are excluded.

So my wife who uses pandora on her iphone daily will now have her data throttled?
Not cool.
Two things: Just to add another link to your list -- As of Yesterday Verizon Started Throttling its Top 5% Data Hogs, Doesn’t Affect 4G LTE or Tiered Data Customers - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog. {read title}

And -- oddly enough, it would be no big deal running Pandora on throttled bandwidth. Pandora doesn't need extreme speed. Also, remember, "throttling" (Network Optimization) doesn't really mean setting absolute data usage limits (i.e. over 2, 4, 6, 8 GB). It only means less speed.

-Frank

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm I used 30gigs last month. I'm sure many Will say what in the world can you be doing to use that much data. Just like people said when I wanted a 32gig media card. Well now its the norm isn't it? The more they make our phones like computers, then the more we Will use them like one. My feelings are for what I pay a month for my fancy 4g Thunderbolt. I should be able to use it like its ment/made to be used for.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
They wouldn't give us a data hog like nfl live mobile for free if they wanted to throttle 4G LTE phones....or at least it wouldn't make any sense but I suppose that doesn't preclude the possibility.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I used 15+GB LTE and another 7GB over wi-fi last month. I work nights so Monday night football is streamed via NFL Mobile now (that's why they gave us the free app right? So we could use it?). Plus I subscribe to several VodCasts that have relatively large file downloads. Love LTE for this. Before the Thunderbolt it would take impossibly long on 3G to get these files so I'd usually opt for the audio-only PodCasts of the same material. I did no tethering at all, this is strictly bandwidth usage on the device.

My relatively vague point is, I'm not an abuser but I most certainly have every intention of using the technology in the way it was promoted by the provider in the first place. It's not like using a lot of bandwidth is going to wipe out spotted owls for cryin' out loud.

cernhl1

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I used about +80g last month mostly on the free hotspot obviously rooted so i didnt pay for it but either every radio i put on here sucks or they throttle me...i cant break 4g on the speedtest but when i first got the phone i was reaching an average of 15g and as high as 30g

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non