DLNA Feature with Thunderbolt

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried or used the DLNA feature? How does it work? What do you use it for? Do you like it? As always guys... Thanks for all the comments!

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I used to to connect through my PS3. You have to get a DLNA app like Twonky to stream your media. It worked good for music, pictures were a little slow to load because they were all generating thumbnails but the may be the PS3's fault too, and videos worked well when I found one that worked. Sometimes slow to load, but once it got going no lag or hick ups. Don't know if the video compatibility issue was with DLNA or Twonky because my PS3 and phone play them fine. Will be testing more in the future.

Reactions: thamadness

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Can you use DLNA to do it to a tv or computer or another phone device? Really a newbie with this portion so trying to understand it and wrap my arms around it.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
If you have a newer tv with DLNA, yes. Computer, pretty sure, yes, although I haven't used it. Don't know about another phone.

I'm a noob too! ;)

skipfreely

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I used to to connect through my PS3. You have to get a DLNA app like Twonky to stream your media. It worked good for music, pictures were a little slow to load because they were all generating thumbnails but the may be the PS3's fault too, and videos worked well when I found one that worked. Sometimes slow to load, but once it got going no lag or hick ups. Don't know if the video compatibility issue was with DLNA or Twonky because my PS3 and phone play them fine. Will be testing more in the future.
Do you think Twonky is the best option for use with PS3?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you think Twonky is the best option for use with PS3?

I really don't know, but I do like the interface. I also tried UPnPlay, but I liked Twonky better, but that doesn't mean it works better. I'll probably give a couple more a shot in the future. If you market search DLNA a ton of them come up. I've seen Twonky mentioned a couple times so that's why I tried it originally.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I used the DLNA feature to connect to my Denon A/V Receiver. I powered up my receiver and went to Connected Media on the TBolt. From the music icon, it searched for streaming devices and found my receiver as Network Media or something like that. From there, I played music from my library - it even showed the cover art on the TV as the song was playing. I could pause, advance, skip and adjust volume from the TBolt. Pretty cool feature. I haven't played with pictures and stuff yet.

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I used the DLNA feature to connect to my Denon A/V Receiver. I powered up my receiver and went to Connected Media on the TBolt. From the music icon, it searched for streaming devices and found my receiver as Network Media or something like that. From there, I played music from my library - it even showed the cover art on the TV as the song was playing. I could pause, advance, skip and adjust volume from the TBolt. Pretty cool feature. I haven't played with pictures and stuff yet.

Are you using a specific app?

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I've got a newer Samsung TV with DLNA hooked up to an old Linksys router as a wireless bridge. I've been using DLNA on it from my laptop since I got it. It works just like Bluetooth would after pairing with an accessory. You can control the content on the device(pics, music and certain vids). It pushes the content to the device you want and as long as the device is set up to receive it, it should either play automatically or prompt you.

You would do this by connecting to your home's network that your device is on. Open up "Connected Media" on your phone and search for the device that is DLNA compatible and choose what content you want to view. Select it and it should play directly to your device as long as it does not require you to be in a certain mode. I love it because can control where in a track you are and the device's volume. Like I said, I've got a Samsung tv and can help you step by step with something like that. I have a ps3 if you need help with that

Last edited:
Reactions: thamadness

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I've got a newer Samsung TV with DLNA hooked up to an old Linksys router as a wireless bridge. I've been using DLNA on it from my laptop since I got it. It works just like Bluetooth would after pairing with an accessory. You can control the content on the device(pics, music and certain vids). It pushes the content to the device you want and as long as the device is set up to receive it, it should either play automatically or prompt you.

You would do this by connecting to your home's network that your device is on. Open up "Connected Media" on your phone and search for the device that is DLNA compatible and choose what content you want to view. Select it and it should play directly to your device as long as it does not require you to be in a certain mode. I love it because can control where in a track you are and the device's volume. Like I said, I've got a Samsung tv and can help you step by step with something like that. I have a ps3 if you need help with that

Can you do it to another mobile phone?

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I always cringe when people get upset over the lack of hdmi. In all sincerity DLNA has picked up a Ton of new devices and offers a better solution to media sharing than cables.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have DLNA set up, and I can see and play from other devices, but I cant get connected media to see any devices. Anyone know what this is?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site

i've got a Samsung TV, hooked up to a PS3&360, both game systems hooked up to my WiFi.
are you able to access the phone media to push it through the PS3?
i don't believe the Samsung i have is DLNA compatible--and the PS3 is DLNA certified. are you able to get it to communicate?

i hate to think i have to hook up my computer in the mix & run software on it.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
i've got a Samsung TV, hooked up to a PS3&360, both game systems hooked up to my WiFi.
are you able to access the phone media to push it through the PS3?
i don't believe the Samsung i have is DLNA compatible--and the PS3 is DLNA certified. are you able to get it to communicate?

i hate to think i have to hook up my computer in the mix & run software on it.

That's what I was talking about earlier. As far as I know you have to use a DLNA app (free) to stream it to your PS3. That's how I did it. No computer involved. When you open the app like Twonky, it loads up all the media on you phone just like a music or video player would.

Reactions: project.in.process

RSchmidt624

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What are the file type limitations? Is it limited to what the phone can play or what the receiving end can handle? I am sending my media to a Sony Blu-ray player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty