Verizon Tiered Data Plan. Please Read This Post

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Today I called Verizon to check up on the tiered pricing plan and when it will start and how it will affect those who buy a 4g phone before the rates go into affect.
This is what I was told.
1)Tiered pricing is scheduled to come out sometime in May.
2)If you buy a 4g phone prior to the tiered pricing plan you will have to choose a new data plan from the tiered pricing they have when it comes out. You will not be able to keep the exact data plan you have now for the same price you are paying today. Apparently they were giving people some time with the Thunderbolt to see how much data they are using and when the tiered pricing comes out you will have a better idea as to what type of pricing plan you want. Obviously if you have unlimited data for $30 and want to keep unlimited you can but it will cost more.
3)No grandfather clause. I read somewhere that you would be grandfathered in but he said no.
4)I asked how can they just change the cost structure of your plan when you have a contract and he said because your 2 year contract is for the phone not the plan as you can change your plan anytime you want within those two years. Kind of makes sense but I call foul anyway.

I asked this because although I did not buy the Thunderbolt I was waiting to see how the Bionic was when it came out and was going to buy that if it proved better then the Thunderbolt. I read how others were waiting like me and hoping the Bionic would come out before the tiered pricing thinking you would be grandfathered in before the tiered pricing came out. Now I am not sure if I even want a 4g phone.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
4) is most certainly wrong. They will either have to grandfather people, or let them out sans ETF, unless there's some serious screwing around going on.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Today I called Verizon to check up on the tiered pricing plan and when it will start and how it will affect those who buy a 4g phone before the rates go into affect.
This is what I was told.
2)If you buy a 4g phone prior to the tiered pricing plan you will have to choose a new data plan from the tiered pricing they have when it comes out. You will not be able to keep the exact data plan you have now for the same price you are paying today. Apparently they were giving people some time with the Thunderbolt to see how much data they are using and when the tiered pricing comes out you will have a better idea as to what type of pricing plan you want. Obviously if you have unlimited data for $30 and want to keep unlimited you can but it will cost more.
3)No grandfather clause. I read somewhere that you would be grandfathered in but he said no.
4)I asked how can they just change the cost structure of your plan when you have a contract and he said because your 2 year contract is for the phone not the plan as you can change your plan anytime you want within those two years. Kind of makes sense but I call foul anyway.

I asked this because although I did not buy the Thunderbolt I was waiting to see how the Bionic was when it came out and was going to buy that if it proved better then the Thunderbolt. I read how others were waiting like me and hoping the Bionic would come out before the tiered pricing thinking you would be grandfathered in before the tiered pricing came out. Now I am not sure if I even want a 4g phone.

Not that I discredit your post. While I ordered my bolt over the phone today the guy I was working with casually talked with me about 4g and I told him I was glad I was locking in 4g unlimited before tiered pricing, and he told me that was a good idea, and didn't know when tiered pricing was going on.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If this is true then I'm a knife's edge away from canceling the contract, selling the bolt and moving to Sprint. And mailing vzw a bag of dog poop.

Of course you were probably talking to the same geniuses that assured us the Bolt would be here the 14th of Feb.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just called to confirm this. Spoke to Woody. He said its all BS, not in those words. He said the contract does cover the plan, and that those of us who have unlimited data locked in, in the contract, will have it, and they can't legally change that on us. Cheers

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh please tell me they are going to try and get out of this 2yr contract I signed,I beg for that to happen. Let me count the ways I can prove the OPs post wrong. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: iceberg384

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
4) is most certainly wrong. They will either have to grandfather people, or let them out sans ETF, unless there's some serious screwing around going on.
I don't think the ETF has any fingers whatsoever into any data plan. You have the ETF which is an early termination of a contract. I've never seen any specific data plan on a contract. Only on a bill. :)

-Frank

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was told.

It's impossible for them to charge me more of put any cap on my unlimited data.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There's no way they're going to make those on existing contracts move to tiered during their current contract term. That definitely wouldn't go over well granted with everything else they've been doing, that would just be icing on the cake. As for phone reps, most of the people you talk with on the phone are nowhere near the "need to know" level of the chain to know what's going to happen a month in advance.

It's impossible for them to charge me more of put any cap on my unlimited data.

The contract that we signed says they can in fact change any part of it. They just have to let those out of their contract that the change has a materially adverse effect on though.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the ETF has any fingers whatsoever into any data plan. You have the ETF which is an early termination of a contract. I've never seen any specific data plan on a contract. Only on a bill. :)

-Frank

You're misunderstanding. They can't change the terms of our contract without letting us out without an ETF. If they change the terms of the contract, they have to let us walk free and clear.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You're misunderstanding. They can't change the terms of our contract without letting us out without an ETF. If they change the terms of the contract, they have to let us walk free and clear.
Yeah, I know. I'm saying that the data plan is not part of the contract.

-Frank

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
i don't think the reps you call will know about the tiered data but you never know. i DO know that if you got unlimited data when you purchased the phone, you are in it for good. they can't switch you.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Relevant parts from the customer agreement

My Service
Your Service terms and conditions are part of this agreement. Your Plan includes your monthly allowances and features, where you can use them (your "Coverage Area"), and their monthly and pay-per-use charges. You can also subscribe to several Optional Services, like text messaging packages. Together, your Plan and any Optional Services you select are your Service. The terms and conditions for your Service can be found in the brochures that are available when you activate, or online at verizonwireless.com

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?
We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to further muddy the waters, I was afraid of this, so, around March 30th I called VZW and told them that I wanted to pay for and buy the Mobile Hotspot plan now and would forego the free trial. They refused to sell it to me and told me it was free for now and they could not sell it. This tells me that they didn't want to sell it so as not to feel obligated to "grandfather" anyone. Whether it would have been legally required, or not.

-Frank

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member