Odd red light beside regular light in ear piece grill.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So I had my thunderbolt in my truck on the charger while I played some softball. By the time I was leaving it was dark out, so when I look at my phone to check for messages I noticed a faint red light beside the regular indication light. I haven't seen or heard anything about a second light being in the ear piece grill. I noticed it wasn't on all the time so I just pretty much forgot about it. Until the other day. I noticed that this light was only on when I was signed into skype, I have the leaked skype mobile with video calling installed. When I signed out, the light turns off. Has anyone else noticed this? Could this be an issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
It's the proximity sensor... it detects when an object (your face) is placed up to the phone. It turns the screen off while you're on a call so you don't accidently hit something on the screen with your face. You only see it at night because it's an infrared light.

Reactions: Chrisy
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just tested this while making a phone call and the proximity sensor is actually at the top of the screen, but still in the glass area. I put my thumb over the speaker grill and the screen stayed on, the I put my thumb over the tiny half circle area in the V logo at the top of the glass and the screen went black, moved it then it came back on. Like I said the light only comes on when I am signed into skype, I cant get it to come on any other time..

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I just tested this while making a phone call and the proximity sensor is actually at the top of the screen, but still in the glass area. I put my thumb over the speaker grill and the screen stayed on, the I put my thumb over the tiny half circle area in the V logo at the top of the glass and the screen went black, moved it then it came back on. Like I said the light only comes on when I am signed into skype, I cant get it to come on any other time..

The circle above the check mark V in Verizon is the ambient light sensor. The proximity is in the speaker grill.

Edit: Go in a completely dark room and make a phone call.. cover the ambient light sensor with your finger and you will see the red light (proximity sensor) in the grill.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdragon and Chrisy

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine goes out when speaker grill red infrared look a like thing is covered. I covered the circle above the logo nothing happened. So sensor is indeed in the grill

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been messing around with it more testing it out. It does seem that the circle in the logo is the proximity sensor... it does turn the screen on and off when covered. It only seems to work when covering it with my finger, covering it with another object like a piece of plastic wont activate it. I tried from different angles, coming in from below and above the grill. The only thing I can think of is its some kind of notification light to let you know the sensor is activated. I originally thought it was an infrared light but it looks more orange in color. There's three different colors for the notifications... amber, light amber and green. It might just be a light amber notification for the proximity sensor.

If you want to test it out and see what you think it is... Make a phone call (call your voicemail if you want) and then try covering the circle from above the grill and then below the grill. For me the screens sensor gets triggered once I get to the circle starting from above the grill.
Then once the circle is covered during a phone call/video call you will see a light amber light inside of the grill. The room needs to be pitch black to see it good.

anonymous239411

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
This is weird maybe they both do the same thing. I took a q tip and covered each of the 2 separately the screen didn't go out. But if I covered both with the q tip the screen would then go out.

Ps dial 611 instead of voicemail. It's free :D

bdragon

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Go in a completely dark room and make a phone call.. cover the ambient light sensor with your finger and you will see the red light (proximity sensor) in the grill.

Thanks, I never knew this. Just tested it. The sensor staying on while signed in, might be one of the reason Skype is not released yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana